MD & DO Help I'm not sure whether to do a SMP or Postbacc?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makana15

Reaction score
I have a 3.5 cgpa and a 3.4 sgpa but a 3.2 DO sgpa. I have not taken the MCAT yet. I was considering enrolling in MCAT test prep programs. Realistically I'm assuming that my MCAT won't be great based on my bcpm GPA. I have 4 C's on my transcript all of which affect bcpm and 3 of which are prereqs. I also have W .

I'm a Texas resident which is even more concerning due to Texas medical schools preference for high GPAs.

I've read a little into SMP's and my only concern is the number of people who enroll in these programs and end up destroying their chance of medical school. I'm also financially disadvantaged so if I enroll in a program I'd have to take out 40k of loans. This is concerning because I'm already really poor (I live in a single parent household earning less than 20k a year). Currently, I'm looking at the UNT program. Does anyone know how difficult this is?

Should I do a postbacc or a SMP? What programs do you recommend?

What do you think of MCAT prep programs? Are there specific programs that you'd recommend?

Thank you for reading all of this and thank you for your advice and help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Makana, I was in a similar boat as you (had a worse GPA though) and did about 54 hours of a DIY postbacc at a local university. I'll get back to you once the TMDSAS match results come out, but so far I've been accepted to several DO schools if you're thinking about osteopathy.

Reactions: 1 user