Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Help Me Decide between these TWO SCHOOLS!

Discussion in 'Allopathic School-Specific Discussions (<2016)' started by libraryismyhome, 05.19.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. libraryismyhome

libraryismyhome Banned Banned Account on Hold 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    School A
    (1) Has Grades during preclinical years
    (2) higher board average than School B, 240s
    (3) $46,000 cheaper over the 4 years
    (4) Far away from ugrad campus (party school)
    (5) Everyone has to do research (I love research)
    (6) located in a safer area
    (7) Medical School Only
    (8) 100 students
    (9) new school, new facility

School B
    (1) Pass and Fail during preclinical years
    (2) Lower board score than the average during past three years (225, 224, 219) and then jumped to 231 last year
    (3) Close to Ugrad campus so I can go to ugrad gym, cafeteria, and libraries
    (4) has all departments and residency programs (derm, ophta, ent, and etc)
    (5) better hospitals than school A
    (6) famous research institute located near the campus
    (7) Med school, nursing, nurse practitioner, pharmacy, and public health
    (8) 190 students
    (9) 40 years of history, old school, old facility

Me:
    - I prefer a fast-paced and intense environment to be driven and during premed yrs, grades helped me to be driven.
    - However, I also want to focus on boards during first 2 years rather than grades

While School A had higher board score this year, match results this year for both were similar.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gonnif

gonnif Only 1426 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Considering that the date has passed to have a final acceptance in, I am not sure if this is moot at this point.

However, which one felt "right" when you visited.

4. darkjedi

darkjedi how did this get here I am not good with computer 7+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    School names would actually be helpful in helping you I think. It is to hard to tell just from your list which is better objectively

5. kyamh

kyamh 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Both sound nice, I am assuming you are asking because you got off a waitlist?

A few things, I don't think that $46k over 4 years is that much money...then again I'll be taking everything out in loans so $46k is relatively not a lot. Board scores are likely to have more to do with the students than with the school. If you are the type of student who is going to do well on the boards you will probably do just as well at either place. There are exceptions, but most school's programs are really similar. I don't understand your point about being close to undergrad (positive, negative?), I would want to be far away, but that's just me.

6. libraryismyhome

libraryismyhome Banned Banned Account on Hold 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yup that's what happened. I prefer to have a place closer to undergrads so that I can use their cafeterias, free gym and multiple libraries.

7. listener23

listener23 Banned Banned 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I want to be you right now sooooo bad....

But i say pass fail sounds like a good idea (school B). I really don't like the pre-med cut throat thing my university has going on (everyone is so mean and evil)

About the ads