You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
help me decide- CNUSOM vs jesuit school
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Any of the Jesuits is a better choice.
They have an established positive history with Program Directors, and a school that gives you the option of federal payback mechanisms and loans.
They have an established positive history with Program Directors, and a school that gives you the option of federal payback mechanisms and loans.
Thank you @gyngyn
I am definitely leaning towards the Jesuit medical school at this point. I will be taking out loans either way and I'd be more comfortable with federal programs
I know you are from CA- Can I ask if you think graduates of a Jesuit medical program are viewed differently by program directors than say state schools or other private schools in terms of residency?
I am definitely leaning towards the Jesuit medical school at this point. I will be taking out loans either way and I'd be more comfortable with federal programs
I know you are from CA- Can I ask if you think graduates of a Jesuit medical program are viewed differently by program directors than say state schools or other private schools in terms of residency?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is why even Western or Touro-CA would be a better choice than CN"u":
(from the wise gyngyn)
1. Their method of selecting the inaugural class was slapdash. They didn't use AMCAS, just faxes and PayPal. This disregard for modern systematic processing makes one wonder if their profit motive was more important than thoughtful consideration. This class ended up with twice as many men as women. If their mission precludes thoughtful evaluation of candidates, one wonders what other important elements of education are being missed.
2. Their choice to deny their students access to federal loans and payback mechanisms while charging $53,402 tuition shows a disregard for the financial burden of their students. Compare this to another new school (UNLV) that covered the bridge to federal loans by offering free tuition.
3. A review of faculty credentials reveals a significant lack of scholarship.
4. In a state that is at least 30% Mexican Americans, they only had a single representative from this group.
5. Because of these and other points too numerous to mention, the PD's I know are reluctant to consider this school in a favorable light.
(from the wise gyngyn)
1. Their method of selecting the inaugural class was slapdash. They didn't use AMCAS, just faxes and PayPal. This disregard for modern systematic processing makes one wonder if their profit motive was more important than thoughtful consideration. This class ended up with twice as many men as women. If their mission precludes thoughtful evaluation of candidates, one wonders what other important elements of education are being missed.
2. Their choice to deny their students access to federal loans and payback mechanisms while charging $53,402 tuition shows a disregard for the financial burden of their students. Compare this to another new school (UNLV) that covered the bridge to federal loans by offering free tuition.
3. A review of faculty credentials reveals a significant lack of scholarship.
4. In a state that is at least 30% Mexican Americans, they only had a single representative from this group.
5. Because of these and other points too numerous to mention, the PD's I know are reluctant to consider this school in a favorable light.
Hello,
Current applicant and CA native: any advice is welcome! My goal is to eventually get a residency in CA most likely in a primary care specialty. My choices are a small private Jesuit school (in US!) and the new med school in CA, California Northstate
CNU
Pros:
Instate (close to home)
better chance of residency in CA?
similar price compared to Jesuit school (both are so costly!)
Cons:
No federal loans
No match list to look at/compare to
Jesuit School:
Pros:
Great match list (including lots in CA!)
Federal loans
Very service oriented
Cons:
I strongly disagree with their stance on access to repro health - worried this might affect future especially if I decide to do OBGYN
Very far away from my hometown
We love them.Thank you @gyngyn
I am definitely leaning towards the Jesuit medical school at this point. I will be taking out loans either way and I'd be more comfortable with federal programs
I know you are from CA- Can I ask if you think graduates of a Jesuit medical program are viewed differently by program directors than say state schools or other private schools in terms of residency?
Northstate is not a state school. It just happens to be located in CA.
Why do you love the medical doctors who graduated from a Jesuit school than any other medical schools out there? Something other than the money? Like knowledge, curriculum, selectivity???We love them.
Northstate is not a state school. It just happens to be located in CA.
Thank you for reposting this. In light of these facts, I don't know why anyone would pick northstate, if they had literally any other acceptanceHere is why even Western or Touro-CA would be a better choice than CN"u":
(from the wise gyngyn)
1. Their method of selecting the inaugural class was slapdash. They didn't use AMCAS, just faxes and PayPal. This disregard for modern systematic processing makes one wonder if their profit motive was more important than thoughtful consideration. This class ended up with twice as many men as women. If their mission precludes thoughtful evaluation of candidates, one wonders what other important elements of education are being missed.
2. Their choice to deny their students access to federal loans and payback mechanisms while charging $53,402 tuition shows a disregard for the financial burden of their students. Compare this to another new school (UNLV) that covered the bridge to federal loans by offering free tuition.
3. A review of faculty credentials reveals a significant lack of scholarship.
4. In a state that is at least 30% Mexican Americans, they only had a single representative from this group.
5. Because of these and other points too numerous to mention, the PD's I know are reluctant to consider this school in a favorable light.
They tend to share a commitment to service.Why do you love the medical doctors who graduated from a Jesuit school than any other medical schools out there? Something other than the money? Like knowledge, curriculum, selectivity???
We love them.
Northstate is not a state school. It just happens to be located in CA.
Great to hear!!
And yes I am aware that it is private school and not a state school. I wanted to have an idea of how CA views other types of schools/if there was any benefit to staying local.
Really wanted to attend a UC for medical school but I'll keep my fingers crossed for a residency🙂
Northstate is the only for-profit US MD school.Great to hear!!
And yes I am aware that it is private school and not a state school. I wanted to have an idea of how CA views other types of schools/if there was any benefit to staying local.
Really wanted to attend a UC for medical school but I'll keep my fingers crossed for a residency🙂
The other CA private schools are fine.
Most successful CA applicants leave the state for medical school (1,642 last year). We'll still be here when you submit your ERAS application!
Last edited by a moderator:
Northstate is the only for-profit US MD school.
The other CA private schools are fine.
Most successful CA applicants leave the state for medical school (1,642 last year). We'll still be here when you submit your ERAS application!
Thanks so much!! I have made a decision that I think gyngyn would be proud of 🙂
Another random question about ERAS and residencies... when you apply does your state of residence matter as much as it does when you apply to med school? #californiaproblems
It is quite different.Thanks so much!! I have made a decision that I think gyngyn would be proud of 🙂
Another random question about ERAS and residencies... when you apply does your state of residence matter as much as it does when you apply to med school?