Help me decide on a residency: Obgyn vs. Other

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Any regrets going into Obgyn?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

elevation1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any help would be super appreciated!

Currently a 3rd yr (female) medical student, have +/- narrowed my choices down to Ophtho and Obgyn.

Things that I value:
1) Interesting subject material
(I love neuro and physics back in the day so for me: Optho > Obgyn)
2) Relationship with patient, "involved" patient interaction; using my skills in patient communication, empathy, etc (Obgyn > Ophtho)
3) Lifestyle, especially work-life balance (not married and don't have kids yet, but I know that having sufficient time with family, and for family outings, etc is something that is important to me)
4) A service that is relatively busy; relatively little rounding and charting
5) I like like procedural things but not a huge fan of the big, 3+ hour surgeries
6) Not facing the stress of the Malpractice issue in Obgyn

My profile:
Have done a ton of volunteering in lots of different organizations, but it all involved kids (used to want Peds)
Have done research and published (1st author in a Obgyn journal - although it was more of a congenital neuro-related project; non-1st author in an Endo journal)
Already have 1 strong Obgyn reference letter (we don't get a core rotation in Ophtho so have had only "scattered" exposure)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't have much experience with ophtho but from your list I feel like you'd be happier in ophtho--matching will be dependent on your step scores and if you can be impressive in away rotations.