Help me Decide on what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SPORTPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to all.

In July I graduated from Queen Margaret University with the degree of BSc [Hons] in Physiotherapy. I am interested in getting a licensure as a physical therapist in New York State. However, from their main website it seems that you need to have a Master degree in order to get a New York License.

New Physical Therapy Regulations to Take Effect August 17
At its meeting on June 19, 2012, the Board of Regents approved amendments to the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education relating to physical therapy. The new regulations, which take effect August 17, 2012, establish standards for the registration of licensure-qualifying programs in physical therapy and, to implement chapter 410 of the Laws of 2011, raise the entry-level degree for licensure as a physical therapist to a master’s degree level. The amendments also establish standards for the endorsement of physical therapist licenses issued by other jurisdictions. The Regents action, including the amendments to the regulations, may be found at. The new regulations were approved on emergency basis. It is anticipated that they will be submitted for final approval by the Board of Regents in September, following completion of the public comment period. (August 6, 2012)

I am really intrested in working in USA. The options I have are either to do a Master program or a DPT program for practicing PTs. In september I will have my license in UK. After searching I found the only DPT program that is offered for right now for practicing physical therapists licensed in other countries is the NYU.

During my four year studies I always wanted to be involved in sports physiotherapy (due to my sports background_ I love sports.) Therefore a Master in sports physiotherapy seemed good. However, after contacting them I was told that they will not accept it and that it will not make me eligible to take the NPTE examination.

Here is the conversation through e-mails:

Dear Sir/Madam,
> > I graduated from Queen Margaret University with the degree of BSc [Hons] in Physiotherapy. I am interested in getting a licensure as a physical therapist in New York State. For this reason, I would like to know more about the procedure and what I need to do.
> >
> >
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> > Michail Michailidis

Reply:

You Will need a form 1 and fee $294 post marked by Aug. 17th 2012 to fall under the old requirements. Please see your licensing requirements and forms at.

Me:

Ok.Thanks. Where can I find the new requirements?

Reply:

Our website is . Look under current news under the PT profession.

Me:

Ok Thanks...One last question the Master can be in any field related to physical therapy like Master in Sports therapy or it needs to be Master in Physical therapy. Finally if I take the DPT title I can apply for the physical therapy licensure without having the Master Degree. Am I right?

Reply:

If you have a DPT, then you will not need the MSPT degree and the degree should be in Physical Therapy.

So it seems that the only university available to apply is NYU. Does anybody knows any universities offering MSPT degrees. If I come to New York, I want to be able to work in addition with my t-DPT studies. Does anyone knows If I will be able to work under the guidance of a physical therapist or at least as a PTA or do I still need a PT license.

Let me know what do you believe I should do. I am really unsure on what would be the best to do.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I am confused by your question... you want to get your masters not the doctorate? All physical therapy programs are moving into the doctorate if they haven't already...

I think there are some schools outside the US that are accredited by CAPTE that offer the masters, if you don't want to get a DPT. You can check the listings on the CAPTE website for those schools. All PT programs in the US are now DPT programs, so there are no masters programs in the US. Once you get your license, there are fellowships and residencies that you can take to obtain board specialization in Sports PT. Also, as far as I know, there is no way to work in PT or PTA without a license. The only position you can have without a license is PT Aide or PT Tech, which is usually paid at minimum wage and consists of non-PT duties, like an assistant.

EDIT: Here is the link to the three foreign accredited programs. After graduating, you can get a license in the US.
http://www.capteonline.org/apta/directories/accreditedschools.aspx?type=&navID=10737423411

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I am confused by your question... you want to get your masters not the doctorate? All physical therapy programs are moving into the doctorate if they haven't already...

Actually I want to go for DPT but the only university offering the t-DPT program for physical therapists licensed abroad is the NYU. All the others are only offered or PT's licensed in USA.

So I can not only depend on one choice (NYU). I need to find some other master programmes or DPT in USA which will make me eligible for USA license. So in case NYU does not accept me I still have other choices.

So basically I am searching for Masters or t-DPT's programs with a preernce on t-DPT's, which will make me eligible or USA PT license.

I think there are some schools outside the US that are accredited by CAPTE that offer the masters, if you don't want to get a DPT. You can check the listings on the CAPTE website for those schools. All PT programs in the US are now DPT programs, so there are no masters programs in the US. Once you get your license, there are fellowships and residencies that you can take to obtain board specialization in Sports PT. Also, as far as I know, there is no way to work in PT or PTA without a license. The only position you can have without a license is PT Aide or PT Tech, which is usually paid at minimum wage and consists of non-PT duties, like an assistant.

EDIT: Here is the link to the three foreign accredited programs. After graduating, you can get a license in the US.
http://www.capteonline.org/apta/directories/accreditedschools.aspx?type=&navID=10737423411

Thanks okramango