HELP ME DECIDE!! TWU vs. UTMB DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chencetherapper

Reaction score
hi all, i'm having trouble deciding between two programs in tx: TWU and UTMB. TWU didn't interview so I don't know the vibe that well, but i'll be visiting the campus next week to get a better feel. i was wondering if yall could share any experiences with either program / why you picked the program. any info yall have on either would be super helpful! i also compiled some pros and cons of each--

TWU PROS:
  • in hou (i already live here)
  • in medical center
  • good reputation
  • most therapists i shadowed went to TWU and loved it

TWU CONS:
  • more academically rigorous
  • less family feel?

UTMB PROS:
  • more breathing room in course load
  • more family feel

UTMB CONS:

Members don't see this ad.

More academically rigorous could potentially set you up with a better PT career! Even though TWU has that “less family feel”, might be due to the fact you never had an interview. UTMB definitely sells there “family” vibe to it since it’s a student-run event. Regardless, wherever you think will provide you a more enjoyable experience is my vote!

I think the family feel is something you can find in any program since you'll be around the same people and have plenty of time to get to know them and study for the same classes together. I grew up in Houston and I love it here but I knew I wanted to get out of Houston for PT school so that's why Galveston seemed like an ideal place for me with it being still close to home. TWU has a great rep and its rigorous curriculum should only prepare you better for your clinicals and career later on (while I do believe that all accredited PT programs including UTMB are pretty rigorous anyway since we all have to pass the same exam at the end). You should ask for a tour or meet with a faculty member and see if you like it and then decide from there!