Help me diagnose this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ven0m

boop
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
60yr-old female with a family history of lung cancer.
Does not drink nor smoke.
She has symptoms resembling the flu, uncomfortable chest feelings, coughing, and sore throat, night sweats, and fatigue in the past 2 weeks. Also lost her appetite and lost 3kg of weight.
She usually had fever in the afternoon and night (38.7C) (2 weeks).
She has not been given any blood nor been around people with symptoms that resemble hers. She self-medicated herself ibuprofen to reduce her fever.

I would think we would need more tests, but what possible diseases do you think she has?

Members don't see this ad.

With a Family history of Lung Cancer and s/s suggestive of cancer in a non-smoker they are most likely hinting at EML4-ALK positive lung cancer otherwise lymphoma could be a possibility.
Also, they want you to steer clear of infectious origin with a negative h/o blood and people contacts.
Sarcoidosis is another possibility but a relatively short history and loss of wt/appetite makes it unlikely.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Age is ideal for lung cancer.
2. It must be adenocarcinoma since it's the most common lung cancer in non-smokers.
3. Adenocarcinoma is also more common in women.
4. Positive family history for lung cancer.

With a Family history of Lung Cancer and s/s suggestive of cancer in a non-smoker they are most likely hinting at EML4-ALK positive lung cancer otherwise lymphoma could be a possibility.
Also, they want you to steer clear of infectious origin with a negative h/o blood and people contacts.
Sarcoidosis is another possibility but a relatively short history and loss of wt/appetite makes it unlikely.

How come I never heard about this term "EML4-ALK"?
I feel so dumb at the moment, seriously!

ALK part is given in FA2016-Page 230 & also under Lung Ca

Oh yes, thanks, I found it!
Such a relief to see that it's given in FA!
But on the other hand, why the hell was I under the impression that I had done a pretty thorough pass of FA! Lol, glad that it opened my eyes before the water was over my head!

By the way, what about the EML4 part?

Oh yes, thanks, I found it!
Such a relief to see that it's given in FA!
But on the other hand, why the hell was I under the impression that I had done a pretty thorough pass of FA! Lol, glad that it opened my eyes before the water was over my head!

By the way, what about the EML4 part?
FA is a pretty dense book to do a complete pass, if ever!
EML4 has to be with ALK in order for it do it's thing, just like BCR-ABL

Reactions: 1 user
What is "h/o blood"?