Help me ID my symptom

Started by ZFanatic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZFanatic

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, so I am not here for medical advice (hopefully not breaking any forum rules), I already have a neurology appointment set up, but I am in need of help identifying exactly what to call my symptom. Three separate occasions now, spread over a few weeks, I have had weird visual disturbances, almost exactly like small firefly specks or those similar fireworks that shoot off in all random directions, one time from standing up from a chair quickly, another time was post-tussive, and then the other I got nauseated and vomited and then had it happen. They only last like 5-15 seconds.

Again I'm not searching for medical advice, I already have an appointment, I just am trying to figure out what it might be called or learn a thing or two about it so I can more accurately describe it to my doc.
 
I wouldn't try to learn anything about it beforehand. Your doc will know the right questions to ask to fully elicit what it is, and if you by accident think it's something else then you could unconsciously bias your answers to his questions.
 
Hey all, so I am not here for medical advice (hopefully not breaking any forum rules), I already have a neurology appointment set up, but I am in need of help identifying exactly what to call my symptom. Three separate occasions now, spread over a few weeks, I have had weird visual disturbances, almost exactly like small firefly specks or those similar fireworks that shoot off in all random directions, one time from standing up from a chair quickly, another time was post-tussive, and then the other I got nauseated and vomited and then had it happen. They only last like 5-15 seconds.

Again I'm not searching for medical advice, I already have an appointment, I just am trying to figure out what it might be called or learn a thing or two about it so I can more accurately describe it to my doc.

I appreciate that you aren't trying to circumvent the rules of this forum. That said, I'm going to close the thread so you don't get misinformed before your appointment. In short, most physicians would prefer that you describe your symptom just as you have above, rather than try to fit it into a medical term. Medical terms are often associated with specific conditions, and you want to avoid this sort of anchoring bias when attempting to make a diagnosis.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.