Help me make an important decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SoulinNeed

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OK, so I'm deciding on where to take the rest of my prerequisites. At my four year university, I took Physics I, BIOL I & II, and Gen CHEM I & II (all with labs). Then, I graduated, and I had a hard time finding another university that fit my schedule and budget, so I decided to just take the rest of my prereqs at a Community College. Right now, I'm taking Orgo I & Physics II, and I'm getting A's in both classes currently. My plan was to take Orgo II and A&P1 at this place next semester. I'm enjoying it, and my Orgo teacher is pretty amazing. I e-mailed some schools beforehand about how they felt about this, and most seemed fine.

However, I'm now having doubts about my decision, and I'm thinking about just finding a four year institute to take classes at next semester. I found one near my home, and it fits well, but the Orgo II prof there is pretty damn tough, and I would need to find another upper level bio class to take. I'll also be studying for the MCAT, as well (but not working). So, here's how it breaks down. If I continue like this, I predict

MD sGPA: 3.80, DO sGPA: 3.70 (If I stay at CC)

MD sGPA: 3.70, DO sGPA: 3.60 (If I transfer)

What do you guys think I should do?
 
OK, so I'm deciding on where to take the rest of my prerequisites. At my four year university, I took Physics I, BIOL I & II, and Gen CHEM I & II (all with labs). Then, I graduated, and I had a hard time finding another university that fit my schedule and budget, so I decided to just take the rest of my prereqs at a Community College. Right now, I'm taking Orgo I & Physics II, and I'm getting A's in both classes currently. My plan was to take Orgo II and A&P1 at this place next semester. I'm enjoying it, and my Orgo teacher is pretty amazing. I e-mailed some schools beforehand about how they felt about this, and most seemed fine.

However, I'm now having doubts about my decision, and I'm thinking about just finding a four year institute to take classes at next semester. I found one near my home, and it fits well, but the Orgo II prof there is pretty damn tough, and I would need to find another upper level bio class to take. I'll also be studying for the MCAT, as well (but not working). So, here's how it breaks down. If I continue like this, I predict

MD sGPA: 3.80, DO sGPA: 3.70 (If I stay at CC)

MD sGPA: 3.70, DO sGPA: 3.60 (If I transfer)

What do you guys think I should do?

I think you answered your own question. You graduated from a reputable 4 year institution and are finishing your last few prereqs at CC. Your med schools of interest are fine with it according to your post. Do whatever fits your situation best.

Good luck.

EDIT: cant spell.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you answered your own question. You graduated from a reputable 4 year institution and are finishing your last few prereqs at CC. Your med schools of interest are fine with it according to your post. Do whatever fits your situation best.

Good luck.

EDIT: cant spell.

I echo this sentiment. Finishing some pre-reqs at CC is no big deal. Most schools will be ok with it. Some won't be. But that's fine. Just make sure you know before you throw $33 dollars at them on your primary.
 
Most schools will want your science prereqs from a 4 year university. Don't take them at a cc just to have to repeat them later.
 
It varies by schools. How can we gather info from 125+ schools for you?
I'll be honest. I was just fine with my classes, and enjoying them for the most part (not my Physics II class, but my Orgo teacher is amazing and actually teaching me this stuff), but then, a relative of mine spoke to me (old lady), and just said, "A community college? I don't know if they'll accept that", and for some reason, it shook me, and it's what I've been thinking about for the last week.

I know I need to have tougher skin, but in the premed process, confidence is so fragile.
 
I'll be honest. I was just fine with my classes, and enjoying them for the most part (not my Physics II class, but my Orgo teacher is amazing and actually teaching me this stuff), but then, a relative of mine spoke to me (old lady), and just said, "A community college? I don't know if they'll accept that", and for some reason, it shook me, and it's what I've been thinking about for the last week.

I know I need to have tougher skin, but in the premed process, confidence is so fragile.

If you are already taking pre-reqs at a CC then the damage seems to have been done already (unless you are going to drop/re-take these classes at a university). There are plenty of schools that will accept CC credits so I wouldn't worry about it. Just follow CodeBlu's advice.
 
Can I ask for some more info/evidence?

I don't have every schools data on me, but I know that when I was applying a large chunk did not accept CC credit for pre-reqs. You'll have to do as said and check by school. I'd identify 20 or so that you think you'd be interested in and hit their websites. It's usually on their in the applicant info section.