Help me pick and choose my EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful25678

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup Everyone?
So I'm feeling super overwhelmed with everything going on right now and need help to break down what I need to focus on for med school. I am genuinely passionate about all of these, but I will be taking very aggressive courses this term and my premed advisor thinks I am taking on too much.
Here are my EC's that are up for debate:
- Writing articles for a prestigious newspaper (I've already published a few papers)
- Teaching Art therapy at a free clinic (This would be the hardest one to part from, as I have a special bond with my students)
-Steering committee for a clinic opening up soon (I'd be the only undergraduate student)
- Volunteer research (This is at a medical school I'd like to go to)
-Chairing a committee for a middle school aged camp

And for work, I am a part-time phlebotomist/ scribe( I need the money, so I don't want to let go of this).

If you guys could help me break it down into two or three EC's, that would be terrific. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The most important elements to getting into med school (EC wise): clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, and leadership

That's pretty much what I can tell you because only you can answer your question.

Reactions: 1 users
I would do the art therapy since you like doing it and it's unique. If the research position is actually you participating in research and not just washing dishes, I would do that one too. Those committee positions don't seem that valuable to me. If you like the newspaper stuff you could keep doing it but I wouldn't do it if you don't have time. Sounds like you are busy. Remember, grades above all else. If you are taking a difficult course load, I would stay on the lighter side with EC's.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The most important elements to getting into med school (EC wise): clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, and leadership

That's pretty much what I can tell you because only you can answer your question.

Do you have to have clinical volunteering? Is paid clinical experience okay?

I would do the art therapy since you like doing it and it's unique. If the research position is actually you participating in research and not just washing dishes, I would do that one too. Those committee positions don't seem that valuable to me. If you like the newspaper stuff you could keep doing it but I wouldn't do it if you don't have time. Sounds like you are busy. Remember, grades above all else. If you are taking a difficult course load, I would stay on the lighter side with EC's.

Totally agree with you on focusing on GPA!