Help Me Please!/Chance/Advice for late cycle applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Desire2Help

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I have ~3.56 cGPA, 3.53 sciGPA, and 3.63 nonsciGPA
This includes retakes (as calculated for DO schools).
My MCAT score is 518-97th percentile.
I was waiting on my MCAT score to decide when to apply to med school. Now that it's out and we are getting later into the cycle, I'm wondering if it isn't a better idea to wait and apply next cycle?
My sciGPA would drop to a ~3.45 (nonscience would stay the same) for MD schools.
Some extra info-
Lots of volunteering with a D.O. physician (~150-200 hours) via a prehealth student org dedicated to serving those in need. President of that org.
~100 hours volunteering in a hospital during free time as a way to spend my time meaningfully.
My grades started out great at the start of freshman year and then did a roller coaster for a while with a strong upward trend my final year (where I retook a bunch of classes).
Thoughts on applying to DO schools at this stage in the cycle? I would start from scratch. My letters of rec come from the DO physician, Bio prof I had, and a Psych prof I TA'd for.

I know this sounds brusque, but at this point I'm interested in the numbers game: what will help me get into the best residency to help me be the best doctor I can be in the long run. If I were to wait, I would continue to work as a Scribe in an emergency dept. full time for the next 2 years. (If I apply now, I'll work there this full year)

My LizzyM score isn't too hot for MD schools, but I think I have a real shot at DO schools (which is what I've wanted for the past 2 years anyway)

Long story short: avg GPA, high MCAT, great LORs....When to apply?.....Schools to apply to?..... MD vs DO for residency?
Thank you all in advance for any and all input!

Members don't see this ad.

I was waiting on my MCAT score to decide when to apply to med school. Now that it's out and we are getting later into the cycle, I'm wondering if it isn't a better idea to wait and apply next cycle?

Wait a year
Spend more time looking into some of the questions you posed( i.e. MD vs DO and DO limitations amongst others) get MSAR and come up with a good strategy for next cycle. It's the best thing you can do for yourself in the long run

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much for your replies! I have been looking into DO schools for quite a while and think the additional skillset would serve my personal desire to learn as much as I can.