This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I give up ?

• Yes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

What2DoNow18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm am an undergraduate student doing a 2nd bachelors in chemistry, cause I was interested in the subject purely but I'm a little lost since so much happen throughout undergraduate and I don't know if I can actually make my deal of becoming a doctor come true
I have an undergraduate degree in biology with a 3.0 gpa
My current chemistry bachelor sis at a 2.9 might stay like that after taking physical chemistry next year (that class fornmy school apparently is horrible)
I have 2 years leadership experience
I have 50 hours shadowing 3 different doctors( I can get more hours)
I have over 500 hours of community service working with the Salvation Army and hospice
I am doing research but it's theoretical quantum mechanics research
I want to expand my research experiment to get more lab work
I have not taken the mcats yet cause I know my stats are low and I want to take it when I'm sure that I Have a chance actually make it
---
During undergraduate a lot happen, my favorite aunt was brutally murdered, my family lost everything and was pretty much homelesss for a while, I was raped while in undergraduate and that realuvmessed with my psyche and honestly I should of taken a break from school but I really wanted this and thought I wouldn't be coming back if life started happening. Anyway all these things messed with my doing exceptionally well I usually do. And I'm taking a year off after I'm done with this second bachelors but I don't know what my next step should be to make being a doctor possible.
- should I do a masters program after my year off, do really well then do really well on the Mcats and maybe I can make it
- should I change career paths? If so what else is there
-PA
-dentist
-biomedical or chemical engineering
If anyone can help me out and give some insight on what the next step should be

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you getting a second bachelors? If you've taken all the medical pre-req's you could stop school... Upper-div chem is HARD and will likely no help your GPA. You should makee sure you are certain before you forge down a path of education. Don't become a dentist unless you know you want to be a dentist.

Are you an URM (female, minority group etc)? A 3.0 GPA might be overcome if you have a great MCAT and ECs and URM status. Others here might know more about that. Before you even breach that topic you should figure out your actual goal, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you getting a second bachelors? If you've taken all the medical pre-req's you could stop school... Upper-div chem is HARD and will likely no help your GPA. You should makee sure you are certain before you forge down a path of education. Don't become a dentist unless you know you want to be a dentist.

Are you an URM (female, minority group etc)? A 3.0 GPA might be overcome if you have a great MCAT and ECs and URM status. Others here might know more about that. Before you even breach that topic you should figure out your actual goal, though.
I am a female minority, my actual goal is to be a doctor but I don't know if my low stats will let me do so because of the things that happen. I did a second bachelors because I was advised to do so by a professor and adviser at my university because I started liking chemistry and wanted to learn more but in my state if you a certain amount of credits they charge you 4 times the tuition to continue, so I as advised to just do the second since they are related to biology in the prereq all I would need to take was the upper division chemistry classes, I also got the opportunity to learn a lot about chemical instruments on which I don't regret but my goal, the end all be all is to be a doctor

Members don't see this ad :)
What's done is done.

What is your total science GPA with your 2nd bachelors?

Yeah, a total 2.9 sGPA for your BS in Biology and BS in Chemistry does not paint a good picture honestly. Your best option would be to do a SMP at a DO school. Do well in a SMP (as in 3.5+GPA) and do well on your MCAT. Your advisor seriously messed you up.