MD Help me rank IM programs. Interested in Cardiology.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueberryblast333

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me rank IM programs!
US MD. Interested in Cardiology fellowship/academic career (in no particular order):

1. the University of Utah - Seems awesome, but residents didn't seem super happy.
2. Rush - call schedule seems awful?? q4 call?
3. University of Indiana (Indianapolis) - Residents seem very, very happy. But rotating through 4 different EMRs seems like a pain?
4. University of Iowa (Iowa city) - Residents seem happy, good volume.
5. UIC - Seems really underfunded? Somewhat overworked too, but transitioning to X+Y this next year.
6. UT Health (Houston) - Had an awesome interview day. But have heard residents are really overworked?
7. Tulane - Interview day was a little hectic. Didn't get the best vibes.
8. Loyola - Residents seem really overworked, but seems like they are merging with another program, maybe would be better next year?
9. Kansas University Medical Center (Kansas City) - Seems really chill, liked the vibes, residents seemed happy.
10. University of Nebraska Medical Center - Residents seem happy, call schedule is interesting.
11. University of Arizona, Tuscon - Residents seem kind of tired, interview day really dragged on. The program seems underfunded.
12. Creighton University, Nebraska - Super happy residents, but maybe not the most prestigious program?
13. University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee - Residents seem super tired because of the call schedule, but they are changing to X+Y.

Do any of these programs seem particularly strong for cardiology?

Members don't see this ad.

US MD. Interested in Cardiology fellowship/academic career (in no particular order):

1. the University of Utah - Seems awesome, but residents didn't seem super happy.
3. University of Indiana (Indianapolis) - Residents seem very, very happy. But rotating through 4 different EMRs seems like a pain?
5. UIC - Seems really underfunded? Somewhat overworked too, but transitioning to X+Y this next year.
6. UT Health (Houston) - Had an awesome interview day. But have heard residents are really overworked?
8. Loyola - Residents seem really overworked, but seems like they are merging with another program, maybe would be better next year?
9. Kansas University Medical Center (Kansas City) - Seems really chill, liked the vibes, residents seemed happy.
10. University of Nebraska Medical Center - Residents seem happy, call schedule is interesting.
11. University of Arizona, Tuscon - Residents seem kind of tired, interview day really dragged on. The program seems underfunded.
12. Creighton University, Nebraska - Super happy residents, but maybe not the most prestigious program?
13. University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee - Residents seem super tired because of the call schedule, but they are changing to X+Y.

You should post this in the thread in the Internal Medicine group.

Couple of points from someone who's been there, done that. First off, I'm not going to start a firestorm by attempting to rank these programs. You have many wonderful programs and there's a 99% chance you'll match at one that gives you an excellent chance at cardiology fellowship and an academic career if that's what you want 2.25 years from now when applying.

1. The points for your US MD and your other achievements will recycle for fellowship. Also, 9.9/10 when an applicant doesn't match a fellowship with this list, it's the applicant, not the program he or she chose. Do not overthink this and go where you feel you will be in an environment to succeed.

2. I do not believe in "a X program is better for Cards than Y program" especially with this sort of list. When people say X > Y for Cards, they've likely heard from somewhere that X's fellowship for Cards is better than Y's which is usually a stretch and hence make the assumption that fellowship PDs will respect applicants from that residency more which is another stretch. A notable confounder may be that the program has respectable faculty but really you're going to be hard pressed to not find a lack of renowned cardiology faculty at most of these places.

3. Do not hyper-focus on these traditional vs. X+Y, drip vs. call distinctions. Each residency program is a bundle of joy that makes things work a different way. Drip and the traditional schedule have their advantages too and many programs that have not instituted them are not regressive, but rather believe for good reason that their system works for their program. I'll give you an example. Let's pretend you had med school A and B and at A they told you there were weekly quizzes and at B there were monthly tests. You hear learning theory and dogma from both sides on interview day. Do you know which system you're realistically going to succeed in? Of course not. Programs that are X+Y may tell you differently on interview day, but that's part of recruitment. There's also no one who can cross verify so I'm not sure how all the residents in the X+Y programs are so confident their X+Y/call schedule was better. Also, in regard to the vibes you got, I can tell you the general vibe my cohort got when I applied for these places was different at many of those places so those are very reliant on the day and likely further obscured through Zoom.

4. Also if you want to hear which programs look strong from a Cardiology point from someone who's been through this and interviewed at more than 50% of these places (which is probably a bad idea) I'd say the following stand out (in the order you've listed them): Iowa and Loyola only because I think their PD said something about Cardiology on interview day. UT-Houston rings a bell but I could be confusing it with another program. That said, neither or those are what I would rank #1 even if I were in your shoes.

5. Is #13 a real program?

Best of luck!

Last edited:

I think you might get more input if you put in some kind of order. Then people can comment about what they think of your higher ranks

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should post this in the thread in the Internal Medicine group.

Couple of points from someone who's been there, done that. First off, I'm not going to start a firestorm by attempting to rank these programs. You have many wonderful programs and there's a 99% chance you'll match at one that gives you an excellent chance at cardiology fellowship and an academic career if that's what you want 2.25 years from now when applying.

1. The points for your US MD and your other achievements will recycle for fellowship. Also, 9.9/10 when an applicant doesn't match a fellowship with this list, it's the applicant, not the program he or she chose. Do not overthink this and go where you feel you will be in an environment to succeed.

2. I do not believe in "a X program is better for Cards than Y program" especially with this sort of list. When people say X > Y for Cards, they've likely heard from somewhere that X's fellowship for Cards is better than Y's which is usually a stretch and hence make the assumption that fellowship PDs will respect applicants from that residency more which is another stretch. A notable confounder may be that the program has respectable faculty but really you're going to be hard pressed to find a lack of renowned cardiology faculty at most of these places.

3. Do not hyper-focus on these traditional vs. X+Y, drip vs. call distinctions. Each residency program is a bundle of joy that makes things work a different way. Drip and the traditional schedule have their advantages too and many programs that have not instituted them are not regressive, but rather believe for good reason that their system works for their program. I'll give you an example. Let's pretend you had med school A and B and at A they told you there were weekly quizzes and at B there were monthly tests. You hear dogma from both sides. Do you know which system you're realistically going to succeed in? Of course not. Programs that are X+Y may tell you differently on interview day, but that's part of recruitment. There's also no one who can cross verify so I'm not sure how all the residents in the X+Y programs are so confident their X+Y/call schedule was better. Also, in regard to the vibes you got, I can tell you the general vibe my cohort got when I applied for these places was different at many of those places so those are very reliant on the day and likely further obscured through Zoom.

4. Also if you want to hear which programs look strong from a Cardiology point from someone who's been through this and interviewed at more than 50% of these places (which is probably a bad idea) I'd say the following stand out (in the order you've listed them): Iowa and Loyola only because I think their PD said something about Cardiology on interview day. UT-Houston rings a bell but I could be confusing it with another program. That said, neither or those are what I would rank #1 even if I were in your shoes.

5. Is #13 a real program?

Best of luck!
Thank you so much, this is all super helpful! I'll try to make some order out of these and move this over to the Internal Medicine Group. I mistyped #13 - I meant to say MCW in Milwaukee (mea culpa).

Thanks for the help!

Thank you so much, this is all super helpful! I'll try to make some order out of these and move this over to the Internal Medicine Group. I mistyped #13 - I meant to say MCW in Milwaukee (mea culpa).

Thanks for the help!

If my experience has taught me anything, it's to rank based on your own factors and not based on the perceived rank of the place. Your list is great. Good luck! If you want feedback on a list there's a few anonymous people willing to opine on Reddit but I would take all that with a big grain of salt.

Last edited:
For Utah why do you think the residents didn't seem happy?

For Utah why do you think the residents didn't seem happy?
This is an n=1 experience, but I thought they seemed really tired during the interview. I didn't get the impression that they loved their faculty like other programs.