Help me Rank my Med-Peds Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockerDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rank Med-Peds please? u of rochester vs baystate/tufts
I'm totally stuck!
1. Univ of Rochester
1. Baystate/ Tufts Univ (springfield ma
3. Christiana Care
4. Univ of Maryland
5. Medical College of VA (VCU)

Members don't see this ad.

1. rochester
2. UMaryland
3 .Baystate
4. Christiana
5. MCV

Rank Med-Peds please? u of rochester vs baystate/tufts
I'm totally stuck!
1. Univ of Rochester
1. Baystate/ Tufts Univ (springfield ma
3. Christiana Care
4. Univ of Maryland
5. Medical College of VA (VCU)

1. Univ of Rochester ==> this program and UNC are the oldest Med-Peds programs in the country so it is very highly regarded in the Med-Peds world...I didn't interview there but I heard a lot of great things, esp. about the PD, in talking to people along the trail
2. Baystate/ Tufts Univ (springfield ma) ===> solid program

I don't know the others to rank them, these are the two that I know most about--I think a lot of it comes down to location and where you will be happy living for 4 years...

GOOD LUCK! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Boy oh boy! I found that it was easy for me to pick my #1 and #2 and to pick the bottom-dwellers on my list, but the middle ones are much trickier! (Hopefully I get my #1 or #2.) :)

rank these ...

ucsd, unc , case, brown, ucla & yale

umm...sounds like my top 5 (except I did not interview at UNC or case)

my current list is:

ucsd, ucla, penn, yale, brown.

in truth though, i sitll haven't figured out number one on ucsd vs. ucla (both places were really exciting). I'm still trying to figure out if I really care about a med-peds clinic or similar "home-base" for med-peds residents. I really liked the CHAT and primary care tract at ucla, BUT not sure about training at a sickest of the sick, transplat patient hospital. UCSD---loved the location, curriculum, and people there. Still not sure about the med-peds clinic experience.

In the end----they are both fabulous places!

also...brown=yale right now. Yale's med-peds clinic blew-me away (and residents)! Brown's clinical experience is top-notch.

and just to muggy up the waters, Uchicago keeps popping its head in the list. Chicago is just THE ideal city! any thoughts on its global health curriculum?

DAMN! less than 2 weeks, eh? feb. 27th will be an interesting day on the internet, i'm sure.

sorry for hijacking you're rank these with my own "struggle".

rank these ...

ucsd, unc , case, brown, ucla & yale

Just for fun:

1. UNC - extremely well-established, heard great things but didn't interview there
2. UCSD - also well established, many options for outpt training w/ med-peds trained physicians, great city/weather. Will be competitive due to location.
3. UCLA - great categorical programs, good clinic w/ med-peds attendings,
relatively new program. Unsure about some aspects of peds
training like peds ED. Also more competitive due to location.
4. Yale - heard good things but didn't interview there
5. Case - good categorical programs, incredible peds program, med-peds program is not so well established. Can probably match very well for fellowships, espcially for peds. Cleveland is a very liveable city and large enough to keep you entertained.
6. Brown - good program but doesn't have reputation of others for categorical programs. Great for ID.

Now, can you please rank my top 6 (which change every day) :)

Michigan, Baylor, UCSD, UCLA, Case, Ohio State

Baylor MedPeds

Strong, well established. Program's Key points.

Residents seem to be a cohesive bunch and they were very direct about the good and less good points of the programs. Houston is a huge city (apparently 4th in the US, who knew?) withvery affordable living, so buying a house is possible and a good idea. Being part of peds qualifies you for a twice a year 2500 dollar bonus, on top of your salary. That's good (although someone correct me if i am wrong). The area around the hospital is city as there are so many different hospital complexes (MD Anderson, StLuke's, Texas Children's....) and pretty impressive. There is a rail line that runs down the middle of main street and is pretty cheap and would be a good transport route to and from work except that it doesnt run at all hours. I do believe they were thinking of/in process of expanding it. traffic is a negative though. Baylor is nearly guaranteed to have whatever it is you were looking for educationally, althoughresidents mentioned during interviews that you should be more pro-active in peds because it tends to be a more of a fellow driven program. I have read here in SDN, however that upper levels at Baylor Med or Peds are "not scared of anything" and that seems to be the goal of residency. I will say that some residents looked fatigued during the interview day and that there is a ton of call in the first year, so one better gear up for one tough intern year. not for the faint of heart. The MedPeds leadership was strong from the top down and were advocates for its residents. Dr Peacock is certainly very involved and a straight shooter it seems. Plus Dr Feigin on the peds side was extremely impressive during his rounds and loved by all in the room. Also at baylor, combined MedPeds Clinic, certainly a diverse patient population, can brush up your spanish, large VA, 12 month internship, and i believe a resident is doing his combined fellowship in Cards at Texas Heart. impressive. Houston has, of course, lots to do. Great Eats, Astros, Rockets, & Texans (who are improving, a young running back would be awesome, and there is nothing like a NFL football game for those who have never been). Anyone else with more thoughts as match day approaches?

Mount Sinai MedPeds

NYC program, so you know that they'll be great pathology and will see a diverse population. An older hospital, and not much of EMRs yet, as I recall. Great view of the city at the top of one of the buildings with seating available if you're connected with the peds. Would seem to be a great place to take five minutes for onself. Medicine at Sinai was very good the Pd and Chair were the "Optimism in Medicine" types, which is inspiring if you are the type that is worried about losing sight of why you are actually in medicine. Interns aren't involved in morning report, which is a negative for me, but the residents were on top of their patients, and the PD challenged them in a good spirited way about how well they knew their patients, and ended with giving them papers to look up to supplement their knowledge. Peds was less memorable to me and is smaller than the med side for sure, but I was impressed with the morning report. Mt Sinai Medpeds is starting a master's in PH in global health next year in addition done over the course of the four years, and if you have an MPH already, they'll be something additional for you as well. But it seemed a little much during residency, in addition we'd be the first class and the cinks would Be frustrating to work out during the first group doing this. Not to mention, it seemed that I shouldn't be considering this program if I dont have an interest in international work, which I may or may not at this point. That said the residents were warm, enthusiastic and definitely felt that they were prepared for what's next. Other things: one year intern with three month switches. Combined MedPeds clinic. Housing is available thru sinai but is limited. Bronx VA was highly regarded by some residents. Oh and apparently there's a lot to do in NYC? And maybe by graduation, the knicks might be competitive again...but don't hold your breath

http://www.mssm.edu/med-peds/

i'm gonna try to post most of the programs that i interviewed at so if others who have used this part of SDN could try to post some, even one, it would be a great resource for next year. I felt like i missed out interviewing at some places because i had no way of knowing that some of the programs i wouldnt necessarily think of off the top of my head were really good...anyway, more reviews later on (unless there is a request)

JW

How competitive would you say the Mt. Sinai program is??

depends on what you mean by competitive I suppose. for those who love medPeds and want to be in nyc there is now only one program and four spots. in terms of competitive for medPeds programs, I have a solid app and am a USMD but am certainly not AOA or Stepone at 250 range but received interviews at nearly all the 'name' schools to which I applied, including Mt Sinai, so it seems to be more about where you want to do residency and possibly settle down because there are many, many fine programs..

Does anyone have any strong opinions on which of the two Harvard Med-Peds programs they prefer? I loved both programs for different reasons. Honestly, I would be thrilled to be at either and the order that I put them in might not even matter in the end. Feel free to personal message me if you don't want to post publicly. Thanks so much! Good luck to everyone deciding on lists!