Help me to choose dental schools !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankies90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have taken my DAT on July 18th and I am looking for the right schools.
It's been quite a while since I have been searching for different schools.
My top pick right now is UNLV since I am a Nevada resident.
I am thinking about Midwestern AZ (heard a lot of good things)
and also UCLA.
What other schools will you guys recommend me?
I think... It's not a good idea to apply to only one school so help me here please !

I am mainly looking for schools in the west coast, with tuition lower than 350K.

Here is my stats:
English is my second language.
GPA:4.0
DAT: AA:23 TS:22 PAT:24 RC:21 QR:27
I have about 150 hours of shadowing experience with a general dentist.
Also, I was hired as a dental assistant and worked about 450 hours.
Two research experiences, one during my sophomore year and the other during my senior year.

The problem is that I don't have much volunteer experiences.
My parents had to go back to my birth country for some complicated family issues.
And I started to live with my older brother since I was 16.
I had very hard time figuring out how to stand on my own.
During college years, I had to share a car with my brother and it was very hard to volunteer.
Also, majority of volunteer opportunities were on Saturdays which I always worked in a dental clinic.

Thank You,

Members don't see this ad.

i don't think u will have any problem getting accepted at unlv... they accept a high percentage of in-state applicants and your stats are very good

i don't think u will have any problem getting accepted at unlv... they accept a high percentage of in-state applicants and your stats are very good

I hope so too.
But you never know.. I heard 23DAT 3.8GPA getting rejected from UNLV...
So I still want to apply to several schools.
At least 6~8 schools.
Thanks for the input though ^^

Members don't see this ad :)
With your stats, I'm pretty sure you can get in anywhere (or at least, almost anywhere).

Try looking at UCSF, UOP, and Western (if you're looking purely at TUTION - not including living expenses - under 350k... otherwise these schools are pretty pricey). If you're open to not just the West coast, maybe try Penn (though overall will be 400k, including living expenses)? I think UConn and Pitt might let you switch to in state tuition after your first year - but you'd have to check up on that.

With your stats, I'm pretty sure you can get in anywhere (or at least, almost anywhere).

Try looking at UCSF, UOP, and Western (if you're looking purely at TUTION - not including living expenses - under 350k... otherwise these schools are pretty pricey). If you're open to not just the West coast, maybe try Penn (though overall will be 400k, including living expenses)? I think UConn and Pitt might let you switch to in state tuition after your first year - but you'd have to check up on that.

Thank you for your advice..
Do you think they will accept someone without much volunteer work?

I'd agree and say with your stats you can probably get in anywhere. I would aim high if I were you, and pick schools you'd want to go to cities you'd really like to live in. For west coast, OHSU and UW rock, and both Portland and Seattle are a ton of fun.

As for volunteer work, why not get involved this weekend? Doesn't take much to compile hours and there's always people needing help.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd agree and say with your stats you can probably get in anywhere. I would aim high if I were you, and pick schools you'd want to go to cities you'd really like to live in. For west coast, OHSU and UW rock, and both Portland and Seattle are a ton of fun.

As for volunteer work, why not get involved this weekend? Doesn't take much to compile hours and there's always people needing help.

Thank you xerxex106 :)
I would love to get involved into volunteering as soon as I can but after my DAT,
I had to spend much of my time for packing up my stuffs since I am moving down to Vegas next week.
So as soon as I get there, I look for some volunteer works ^^
Thank you for your advice.

I don't really like the atmosphere of the east coast and I love the nature of the west coast.
When I become a dentist, I don't mind living in a rural area since I am a nature lover.
That's why I mainly want to stay in the west.

So, UNLV, Midwestern AZ, OHSU and UW seem like good choices to you?

UW accepts very, very few OOS - I believe even those with very high stats may not get an interview invite. With that said, if you really like Seattle (it's a great city) and want to give it a try, you should go ahead and apply anyway - and let them decide.

UW accepts very, very few OOS - I believe even those with very high stats may not get an interview invite. With that said, if you really like Seattle (it's a great city) and want to give it a try, you should go ahead and apply anyway - and let them decide.

That's what I have found too.
So I won't apply to UW.
I want to apply to schools that I have chance. :)

What are some good schools in your opinion?

UCSF would be a great addition to your list.

Reactions: 1 user
What are some good schools in your opinion?

I think the schools everyone has suggested on this thread are good schools on the west coast (UCSF, OHSU, etc.). Going to any dental school will make you a dentist; it really just boils down to what you're looking for in a school.