Help me trying to quit CVS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supharma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We are all stuck. Really we need to unionize and force legal action on safely staffing pharmacies. McDonald's has 6 or 7 people back there at a time to serve fast food yet tech and pharmacis hours get cut when volumes go up and many times we are stuck with 1 pharmacist and 1 or 2 techs doing 300 RX a day. That's unsafe and all the liability is on the pressured pharmacist and not on the company creating a corporate (not patient first) unsafe practice setting. The company's primary stake is profits and shareholders. They are paid on volume and reimbursement rates and not on quality with mistakes being pharmacist liability and not corporate. If you make a missfill because you are rushed and pressured to provide timely prescription delivery but have insufficient staff the pharmacis is liable. Not the company. Anytime ive made a mistake it's because I was rushed and dealing with massive volumes beyond what we could humanly supply.. pharmacist focus on providing patient care and protecting their own license. The pharmacist doesn't pay their own check though so the corporate area wins leaving pharmacist and patients as the ones losing out. If you have a miss fill because you are overworked and understaffed that's the pharmacists fault. The company has no liability for creating a dangerous practice setting. Part of it is also due to insurance companies putting the squeeze on community pharmacies. I'm surprised given the abuse we face as professionals that pharmacists haven't protested or organized yet. Today's day and age is ripe with rejecting corporate abuse/interest and putting patients first which means safely staffing pharmacies and not rushing healthcare professionals.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Thanks for reply.
Its my every day Nightmare.

CVS may be the worst but it is getting like this everywhere. I have worked at stores that are 170 scripts behind due to poor staffing or working by myself filling 50 to 100 Rx by myself with constant pickup lines and drive thru patients. You are 1 person expected to be 3 places at once while also providing medical care safely.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am one unhappy Staff Pharmacist at CVS
I love my job as Pharmacist as I truly appreciate working for my customers who are best part of working with but I am constantly put up with lots of pressure by not having enough staff to help me,Sometime its only me left to work without Tech help for more than 4-5 hours, if help does arrive they would be front store people who recently getting trained as tech .
I emailed so many times to sup,PM can not manage the staff or myschedule well.
I have been going through lots of stress sometimes I fear for my license.

Please help me to make a decision.
I work in DFW area,Market is pretty saturated here.
Have you talked with your PIC? You are staff so my schedule should not be your worry, does your PIC have adequate help on his days? He/she could be screwing you with help.

As far as verifying follow procedures. Don't be that guy that puts multiple meds in a bag. Annoys the hell out of me. If they patient is on 10 meds. 10 separate bags. It lowers chances of a mistake. My staff used to do this and made mistakes until I told him keep it up until you get fired or sued up to you. He stopped and mistakes stopped. As far as verifying make sure #1 patient name and DOB match. Most mistakes are wrong patient. Second move down to the drug, dose and directions. Thats the second most missed. If your eyes get hazy go fill for a while and get your eyes off the screen.

Reactions: 2 users
I am really worried about my patients safety as well.
I am petty much in your shoes but its nearly 300 Rx per day store.
I am pretty scared working there now.
I need to take decision in spite of knowing I would be jobless for few weeks.
I can not kill myself more.
I reach to the breaking point.
Thanks again.

PLEASE don't quit until you have another job lined up!! If the DFW market is as saturated as you say it is, you could be jobless A LOT longer than a few weeks.

The only thing worse than working a ****ty job, is not having a job at all... especially when the bills keep coming.

Reactions: 5 users
ask for FMLA leave of absence. get a month or two off. get paid from vacation hours, PTO, and sick leave.. and in that month, apply for other jobs!

Reactions: 1 user
CVS may be the worst but it is getting like this everywhere. I have worked at stores that are 170 scripts behind due to poor staffing or working by myself filling 50 to 100 Rx by myself with constant pickup lines and drive thru patients. You are 1 person expected to be 3 places at once while also providing medical care safely.

This sht right here describes Walgreens perfectly. They are notorious for putting you by yourself in slow stores...like you can do drive-thru...answer phones...help at the register..and do all your other pharmacist duties. Ridiculous.

What kind of pharmacists screw up putting multiple Rx in a bag? Bagging is even a clerk/sales associate function at Walmart for most states.

What kind of pharmacists screw up putting multiple Rx in a bag? Bagging is even a clerk/sales associate function at Walmart for most states.
Sorry at Walmart pharmacists do nothing but Verify. Don't need to get the phone and techs can't even talk to the pharmacists without talking to a couple techs first. At the real chains you are getting the phone, typing, probably running to drive thru and have techs asking you questions while you verify. It's just not safe practice to have multiple meds in a bag. Also the real chains are higher volumes. Drugs everywhere.

And having techs/sales clerks bag your drugs is the dumbest thing. You are responsible if they put stuff in the wrong bag. There are some idiot pharmacist who verify stuff and leave them in the baskets for people who barely passed high school to bag drugs. I'm good off that.

Sorry at Walmart pharmacists do nothing but Verify. Don't need to get the phone and techs can't even talk to the pharmacists without talking to a couple techs first. At the real chains you are getting the phone, typing, probably running to drive thru and have techs asking you questions while you verify. It's just not safe practice to have multiple meds in a bag. Also the real chains are higher volumes. Drugs everywhere.

And having techs/sales clerks bag your drugs is the dumbest thing. You are responsible if they put stuff in the wrong bag. There are some idiot pharmacist who verify stuff and leave them in the baskets for people who barely passed high school to bag drugs. I'm good off that

If you do one basket at a time, I don't see a problem. And are we really focusing on multiple Rxs in a bag when it comes to cvs non-safety.... Teach your techs not to interrupt you or actually learn how to learn

All this talk about real chains when Kaiser, at least where they exist, sops up a lot of potential script volume but WM still has to deal with butthurt kaiser members

I took decisions and put my resignation today.
They accepted it
I am not sure now what

why didn't you request FMLA? during your leave of absence 1) you get paid. 2) you have time to apply for another job. 3) if you don't get another job, you can take your vacations and have an option to come back.

why didn't you request FMLA? during your leave of absence 1) you get paid. 2) you have time to apply for another job. 3) if you don't get another job, you can take your vacations and have an option to come back.
Curious as to what grounds you can state you need flma for? Are there easy bs reasons you can claim without needing proof?

Members don't see this ad :)

anxiety. its when you're overly stressed working at cvs, and u have nightmares from the elevated stress. see a doctor and get a script for anxiety.

What Is the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)?

Having a documented mental illness isn't such a benign thing. It can be quite detrimental to your ability to secure a job that requires security clearance (i.e. practically any federal government job), as well as it can affect your ability to buy insurance policies (health, long term care, life, etc.). In other words, there are consequences to faking a mental illness that might not make it worthwhile in the long run.

If you do one basket at a time, I don't see a problem. And are we really focusing on multiple Rxs in a bag when it comes to cvs non-safety.... Teach your techs not to interrupt you or actually learn how to learn

All this talk about real chains when Kaiser, at least where they exist, sops up a lot of potential script volume but WM still has to deal with butthurt kaiser members

LOL you have never worked at WAGs or CVS. move on

Having a documented mental illness isn't such a benign thing. It can be quite detrimental to your ability to secure a job that requires security clearance (i.e. practically any federal government job), as well as it can affect your ability to buy insurance policies (health, long term care, life, etc.). In other words, there are consequences to faking a mental illness that might not make it worthwhile in the long run.
I thought you don't have to disclose your health status to your employers (HIPAA privacy law)?

I thought you don't have to disclose your health status to your employers (HIPAA privacy law)?

You don't have to disclose your health status, but if you don't disclose or if you knowingly withhold information, you will be disqualified from applying to the job (or terminated later on if it comes to light that you were dishonest when you first applied). HIPAA protects you from your information being shared without your permission, it doesn't mean that your potential employer can't ask you for your PHI as a condition of employment.

Having a history of a mental health condition doesn't necessarily guarantee you won't be able to get a security clearance, but it will come up. See page 84 (page 87 of the pdf) of SF86 (Form: SF86).

Last edited:
You don't have to disclose your health status, but if you don't disclose or if you knowingly withhold information, you will be disqualified from applying to the job (or terminated later on if it comes to light that you were dishonest when you first applied). HIPAA protects you from your information being shared without your permission, it doesn't mean that your potential employer can't ask you for your PHI as a condition of employment.

Having a history of a mental health condition doesn't necessarily guarantee you won't be able to get a security clearance, but it will come up. See page 84 (page 87 of the pdf) of SF84 (Form: SF86).

wow you guys have it rough...as a physician with licenses in 3 different states and having gained privileges at multiple institutes in the past 5 years, mental health (or any medical condition) is a non-issue (provided you are able to fulfill your duties and function in that particular position)

wow you guys have it rough...as a physician with licenses in 3 different states and having gained privileges at multiple institutes in the past 5 years, mental health (or any medical condition) is a non-issue (provided you are able to fulfill your duties and function in that particular position)

Physician or pharmacist or any profession, if you need to obtain security clearance (jobs in which you have access to any information that is related to national security, which sometimes includes government healthcare jobs, especially if you are involved in emergency preparedness, bioterrorism counter-measures, and other public health projects that cross-over with national security), you will be asked if you have sought care from a health care professional for any mental health issues. The specific mental health issue may end up being a non-issue, but you will still be asked about it and will be required to provide additional documentation for the investigator to determine whether or not it is a non-issue.

If the OP cannot imagine ever wanting a job that requires a security clearance, then having a documented mental health illness probably won't make much of a difference in terms of finding a job in the future. It still could come up as a reason for increased premiums or denial of private health, long term care, or life insurance, though.

Physician or pharmacist or any profession, if you need to obtain security clearance (jobs in which you have access to any information that is related to national security, which sometimes includes government healthcare jobs, especially if you are involved in emergency preparedness, bioterrorism counter-measures, and other public health projects that cross-over with national security), you will be asked if you have sought care from a health care professional for any mental health issues. The specific mental health issue may end up being a non-issue, but you will still be asked about it and will be required to provide additional documentation for the investigator to determine whether or not it is a non-issue.

If the OP cannot imagine ever wanting a job that requires a security clearance, then having a documented mental health illness probably won't make much of a difference in terms of finding a job in the future. It still could come up as a reason for increased premiums or denial of private health, long term care, or life insurance, though.

Aside from working in a VA (which is typically not that competitive from a physician standpoint) I can't think of jobs that would require security clearance...when I was in med school, approximately 35% of students utilized counseling services provided by the university so I would imagine that theres a chunk of us that have officially/unofficially received treatment for mental health issues (overall medical professionals have higher rates of mental health issues, substance abuse, suicide etc)...I don't think this should be held against anyone provided that they have received appropriate treatment but at the end of the day it comes to supply and demand with respect to a particular field

What about something as simple as going to a psychiatrist or FP doctor to get Adderall for ADD? I remember in undergrad that pretty much everyone was finding an excuse to get diagnosed with ADD, either so they could get an Adderall prescription and/or so they could get extra time to take tests.

Aside from working in a VA (which is typically not that competitive from a physician standpoint) I can't think of jobs that would require security clearance...

In addition to the VA, if you were trying to get a civilian job with DOD, or become an officer in the Armed Forces or the Public Health Service, you would have to obtain a security clearance.

I don't think this should be held against anyone provided that they have received appropriate treatment but at the end of the day it comes to supply and demand with respect to a particular field

Agreed. If the person is stable/recovered and the issue is no longer impairing their judgment in ways that could compromise national security, it shouldn't be held against them.

My original point is that claiming anxiety issues in order to take advantage of FMLA can lead to unwanted consequences. If you have a documented anxiety disorder that was so severe that you had to take extended medical leave from your job, that could come up in future job pursuits and be a detriment to future job prospects. An easy example is jobs that require a security clearance, in which you are specifically asked about mental health issues, and you would have to then provide documentation and make a case to the investigator that your mental health issues would not impair your judgment in handling sensitive information.

Last edited:
What about something as simple as going to a psychiatrist or FP doctor to get Adderall for ADD? I remember in undergrad that pretty much everyone was finding an excuse to get diagnosed with ADD, either so they could get an Adderall prescription and/or so they could get extra time to take tests.

I would guess that an applicant should answer "yes" to question 21 on SF86 if they sought care for ADD/ADHD within the past 7 years. Whether or not that would prevent them from obtaining a security clearance, I don't know, it probably depends on several factors. Aside from security clearance concerns, ADHD (that requires ongoing management with medication) is a disqualifying condition for service in the Armed Forces and the Public Health Service.

I would guess that an applicant should answer "yes" to question 21 on SF86 if they sought care for ADD/ADHD within the past 7 years. Whether or not that would prevent them from obtaining a security clearance, I don't know, it probably depends on several factors. Aside from security clearance concerns, ADHD (that requires ongoing management with medication) is a disqualifying condition for service in the Armed Forces and the Public Health Service.

That's surprising (the part about it being a disqualifying condition for Armed Forces/Public Health Service work). If more than 7 years have passed since getting a diagnosis, would someone still need to answer "yes" to question 21? What if someone is a patient of one of those really nice FP docs that prescribes his "safe" patients (I.e., those without a history of drug abuse, drug seeking, etc.) a just-in-case prescription of 30 5 mg Adderall tabs every few months that they practically never take? If someone checks "no" to question 21, can they somehow access their health records to find out they're lying?

That's surprising (the part about it being a disqualifying condition for Armed Forces/Public Health Service work). If more than 7 years have passed since getting a diagnosis, would someone still need to answer "yes" to question 21? What if someone is a patient of one of those really nice FP docs that prescribes his "safe" patients (I.e., those without a history of drug abuse, drug seeking, etc.) a just-in-case prescription of 30 5 mg Adderall tabs every few months that they practically never take? If someone checks "no" to question 21, can they somehow access their health records to find out they're lying?

@PAtoPharm, you have an exceptional talent at derailing threads to very specific and personal questions. To make this helpful to other readers and to try to steer things back on topic, here are a few general answers:

1) Whenever you have to gain security and/or medical clearance and have to answer these types of questions in order to obtain certain privileges (a job, professional license, citizenship, access to various government programs, etc.) it is best to answer honestly and to the best of your ability; try not to overthink it.
2) It is a crime to knowingly withhold or falsify information in order to obtain a government security clearance.
3) If you have a question that is specific to your personal circumstances, it is a common courtesy to send a direct message to the person to whom the question is directed to rather than to derail the entire thread. This is especially true if your question relates to how to circumvent the law. I mean, it's inappropriate to ask that question no matter what, but especially openly in a public forum.
4) If you really want to learn more about the methods OPM uses to verify the information you provide them, OPM has a great FAQ that provides good information about the security investigation process: Investigations FAQs

Reactions: 2 users
Well I am going to go ahead and further derail the thread and say that 30 Adderall every few months is hardly "just in case" or "hardly ever taken".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Have you ever used ethics line,In cvs.

have u heard about ethics hotline at wells fargo? ppl who used it got fired! they were reporting frauds and they got fired for that! this is common practice with all companies ethics hotline. google and read a book about ethics hotline. this is definitely a no-No.

Well I am going to go ahead and further derail the thread and say that 30 Adderall every few months is hardly "just in case" or "hardly ever taken".

What if it is primarily stockpiled (that's where the just in case part comes from), the patient tells the doctor this, and the doctor asks them if they want more anyways since the old Adderall "might not work as well?" It's not like someone is going to turn them down

What if it is primarily stockpiled (that's where the just in case part comes from), the patient tells the doctor this, and the doctor asks them if they want more anyways since the old Adderall "might not work as well?" It's not like someone is going to turn them down
In that case I would say the doctor is negligent to a very high degree. It's not McDonald's where they ask if you want fries with that. What possible reason could the doctor have to write that script unprompted? And why would the patient keep filling it if they really are just stockpiling?

Your scenario makes no sense.

You guys tell people a lot to just "take FMLA" as a way to get out of working, but I think most of you unaware of the process of obtaining this leave. There are certain requirements that you must meet to qualify for FMLA. All your employers (hospitals, chain pharmacies, pretty much any non-independent) have a policy in place through HR on how to obtain this type of leave. They absolutely can and likely will legally require documentation/certification from your physician that you require this type of leave. If it was easy to obtain then everyone would abuse it. This is not paid leave per say. Generally you are allowed to use any PTO or vacation time you have banked to get paid...the rest of the time is unpaid. FMLA is what allows women to take maternity leave.

Fact Sheet - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - U.S. Department of Labor
https://www.dol.gov/whd/forms/WH-380-E.pdf

In that case I would say the doctor is negligent to a very high degree. It's not McDonald's where they ask if you want fries with that. What possible reason could the doctor have to write that script unprompted? And why would the patient keep filling it if they really are just stockpiling?

Your scenario makes no sense.

Basically, it's a situation where, after being told by the patient that they are in graduate school and that they sometimes have a hard time focusing and/or have a tendency to procrastinate, the conversation turns to ADD meds and the doctor basically says they can give the patient a one-month supply of Adderall to use during "cram" sessions, just in case. The same doctor also has a tendency to offer patients a one-month supply of Ativan or Xanax if the patient tells them that they have to give presentations in front of the class from time to time that they get nervous or anxious during.

Anyways, I guess I was just wondering in general how damning a diagnosis of ADD can be to someone's future career (even if they don't actually "have" it) after the subject was brought up. Back on topic now...

one of my wife's coworker is getting a week long FMLA precisely during Christmas and Thanksgiving.... this year....and its already been approved....no idea how you can pull this of..

Basically, it's a situation where, after being told by the patient that they are in graduate school and that they sometimes have a hard time focusing and/or have a tendency to procrastinate, the conversation turns to ADD meds and the doctor basically says they can give the patient a one-month supply of Adderall to use during "cram" sessions, just in case. The same doctor also has a tendency to offer patients a one-month supply of Ativan or Xanax if the patient tells them that they have to give presentations in front of the class from time to time that they get nervous or anxious during.

Anyways, I guess I was just wondering in general how damning a diagnosis of ADD can be to someone's future career (even if they don't actually "have" it) after the subject was brought up. Back on topic now...

There are plenty of healthcare providers who have a diagnosis of ADHD and who have successful careers. In most job applications it won't even come up (unless it's a government job - every government pharmacist job I've ever applied to, federal or state, civil service or uniformed, has asked me to complete a medical history report, including listing current medications), but if you needed a reason to start refusing more unnecessary Adderall scripts from your doctor, you now have one. Based on how you describe your use of Adderall, it doesn't sound like you actually have ADHD anyway, just poor time management skills.

Also, you might want to talk to your doctor about propranolol for public speaking.

Now, back on topic...

Last edited:
That's surprising (the part about it being a disqualifying condition for Armed Forces/Public Health Service work). If more than 7 years have passed since getting a diagnosis, would someone still need to answer "yes" to question 21? What if someone is blablablablabla someone tell me how to manage this incredibly precise totally irrelevant scenario

giphy.gif

Based on what I read in the government FAQ that giga linked to, an applicant's medical records are not accessed or verified, so you're right, it is a totally irrelevant question since someone can probably answer health history questions however untruthfully they want without consequence.

I took decisions and put my resignation today.
They accepted it
I am not sure now what

Congratulations. You have just gotten your life back. You are now in control no matter what other people say.

Some may comment that you should have something lined up first, or pay off your loan and house. Well, you have made a decision and you must believe in your decision and do not second guess yourself. To you, it is the right decision at the right time, you left before you have injured anyone, or being sued. That tells me you are ahead of the curve.

What to do? I personally have known many retail rph left job for residencies. Network, do something unconventional, timing is everything. April is tough to compete with new grad, but second half of the year should improve. Find some support and don't despair.

Retailer will not stop from technician cutting trend unless someone is hurt. Oh wait, patients are hurt and cases pending if you read at the news. 0.0001% probabilities of ten million dollars case may still be cheaper than hiring more techs with benefits. They do a pay out and blame the pharmacist who made the mistake.

Someone mentioned about taking a stand. Well, it could have worked ten years ago. With new pharmacy school and grads, we no longer have the leverage, when eager young pharmacist is ready to take your job for less pay.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile