help me with this application essay question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fiznat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...part of the supplimental sheet to the University of Connecticut post-bacc program application asks this:

Physicians will face considerable challenges in the future. What do you see as the most significant issue the medical profession faces in the next forty years?

I suppose the obvious answer may be "finding ways to pay for patient care," "obtaining national health insurance" or "malpractice insurance costs," but I sorta feel like these are kinda boring topics to dicsuss- and ones that these people are going to be reading about on every other person's application. The response is only a couple paragraphs (like 1/3 a page), so I dont need to go too in depth, but anyone have any good idears?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't mean any disrespect, but I honestly believe the only answer you'll ever be able to write about in a convincing and engaging manner will be the answer you think is the right one.

Therefore, it's up to you. What do you think will be the most significant issue?

There are no shortcuts. If you know what you want to say and you're looking for a good way to say it, or you want an opinion on which of two approaches makes the most sense or reads the best, a bunch o' people on a board may be of help. But it's my opinion that getting your thesis from the Internet is a strategy that is fraught with peril.

thanks for your reply, no offense taken.

I actually just finished it myself, it's not too bad... I mentioned medical finance but I wrote mainly about the general American mentality that its okay to treat your body like crap (dont exercise, abuse drugs, ignore doctors advice etc) and yet still demand perfect care when huge problems develop down the road. I think it came out pretty decently. ...heh I wrote it a little more elegantly than that also...

I understand that I shouldnt "get my thesis off of the internet," I was just looking for people who are a little more involved in the feild than me to point me in a good direction. I would hope that someone who is working as a physician in an ER would certanly see some upcoming problems more clearly than a sorry ol' EMT like me. No big deal.

Aha! Well, my apologies anyway. Newer people to the boards are either intelligent, reasonable people like yourself, or newbies who show it by making odd requests and seeming not to have thought it through.

It sounds like a good line of thought, and I hope it spurs some good conversations with the programs you send it to. Best o' luck! Don't be a stranger, either... there are many EMTs and Medics here.