Help need some advice!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice! I wanted to know if my fianc?e and I should apply this year or wait until next year to apply. We would both really like to attend the same school, and were not sure if we both have a shot at getting in. We have known each other for over eight years and have been dating five years. We are both URM and he is applying with disadvantage statues, His gpa Sci: 3.89 Cum: 3.77 mcat 5V Writing P 13B 12P overall 30 (He was very sick on the day and should not have taken the test) He is retaking the exam this Aug. Me: gpa sci: 3.65 cum 3.71 with an upward trend ( I got a D in an elementary chem. class freshman year due to personal difficulties ie: working full time) but have got A?s in all gen. Chem. and O chem. classes. mcat 10V writing Q 10P 13B overall 33. We both go to a top tier undergrad school both double majors in science/non-science. Both have really good EC and LOR. We are not sure if we should apply this year or wait until next year when he has his aug. mcats, we really don?t have enough money to apply twice. Thanks for any advice :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Our school's advisor has always said that applying during the year that you take the August MCAT is "application suicide." Of course, you'll hear stories from people who've done it and succeeded. But considering how difficult it is to get in ANYWHERE, why lower your odds right off the bat? If you take the August MCAT, you'll be receiving 2ndaries when others have already interviewed at some schools, and receiving interviews when a number of the slots are already full! When you add in the fact that you're trying to get into the SAME SCHOOL, I'd strongly recommend NOT applying this year. But if you do, it surely COULD work out. The question is, do you want to take the chance?

Taking a year off together could be really cool. You could both do something exciting or really rewarding, or even just work a 9-5 job. And youll have the opportunity to really enjoy your time together before the hard work and stress of medical school. I think a year off together could be fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Especially if you are trying to go to the same school (limiting even further your acceptable choices) I think you should wait a year. By next year, you will both be ready to submit on the first day with your applications completely done. Just think, a whole more year to procrastinate on your personal statement. :wink:

You will get more responses if you edit the title of your post to something more specific about your question.

It does sound like a year off would be a good way to make sure that you both end up getting into the same school. Hopefully, you will be able save some money during the year off too.

I would suggest waiting a year... and ask your fiance to retake the MCAT. In my opinion, you're looking at top ten schools... while his 5V makes him a much less competitive applicant than you. Unless you're willing to give up a seat at somewhere like Harvard or JHU just to be with him at wherever he gets in, I suggest you wait a year and request that he retake.

Good luck! and nice job on the MCAT!! :)

thanks for the advice,
we are not looking to get into a top 10 or even 20 school. We would just like to go to any med. school. We already called U of Wash and they said they may give him an interview with his 30 mcat. I know in aug. he can score at least a 35, he just had a bad day. we are looking to ap to around 35 schools, does any one eles have some advice. thanks

a 35? that's what they all say.

If you're really sure he can significantly up that verbal, then I think you might have a shot this year. But getting into the same school (or maybe you'd settle for 2 schools in the same city?) is definitely dicey, but I think it will be dicey no matter when you apply. There's a lot of randomness in this process. Taking the August MCAT is definitely not application suicide, especially since you're URMs from a highly competitive undergraduate institution. If you decide to go ahead, make sure to apply as early as possible (that would be right now!) to a large number and wide range of schools, and get those secondaries in pronto, so your application files will be ready to go to review the minute your scores get to the schools. I took the August MCAT last year and applied to 23 schools. My GPA was only 3.5 cum, 3.4 sience, 30m MCAT (12V, 8PS, 10B, M), non-disadvantaged URM from a top university. I got 5 acceptances and 6 waitlists out of 14 interview invites. Good luck! :)