Help Needed Please!! I'm Lost And Need Guidance Before I Die

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keerkalan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Hope you are having a great evening, or morning depending on when this is seen. No I'm not going to die sorry for the misleading title.

I am a recent graduate somewhat, graduated Winter quarter of 2012 from UC Davis.

I have a 3.3 GPA there, with a upward trend, went from 2.9 first quarter transfer and progressed up each quarter my senior year my average was 3.6~.

I transferred from a community college where I had a 3.4 GPA however I got B/C respectively fall and spring semester in both general bio and chemistry.

I have a lot of volunteering experience over 200 hours, letters of rec from professors from schools, and will be applying as under represented minority.

Since graduation I have worked as a research assistant with Genentech and currently work as a clinical researcher at UCSF.

My biggest question is in terms of post bacc, would you recommend going with a masters post bacc program? Should I apply to the UC program post-bacc? Any help would be great.

I am taking my MCAT in April, I have started applications on many schools and have contacted the programs and they said they will review my application but no final decision until the MCAT comes in.

I know this gets asked 100+ times on this site but any help would be great. Thank you and have a great weekend.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Keerkalan--

What do you mean by starting applications? You are too late to start medical school this coming fall, though I suppose you could be pre-writing secondaries for next year.
I don't know how much a post-bacc would help you as far as GPA movement since you've taken a full undergraduate amount of coursework and have completed all the pre-recs, but I suppose for DO schools, you could get some significant changes to your stats. If I were you, I'd focus entirely on the MCAT and make sure to send your application very, very early in the next cycle (roughly June).