This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girlinmed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! PLEASE HELP. I am currently deciding between a few different SMP/post-bacc programs and would love to see if anyone has any good thoughts/insights or specifically if anyone from these programs has good/bad things to say about it or any advice at all!!

I started my freshman year at UofMich pre-med. I did very bad in my science pre-reqs from freshman to first semester junior year (I just didn't really care or work hard). I took a break from pre-med my junior/senior year, but then decided that I definitely wanted to become a doctor and I switched back to pre-med (and learned how to study and work hard). I am currently in my 5th year at UofM finishing the last of my pre-med pre-reqs along with some additional bio/physics classes. I have a major upward trend starting from my second semester junior year and up (all A's since then), but it is not nearly enough to account for how poorly I did my first few years, which is why I am going to enroll in a masters/smp program.
My cGPA is a 3.3 and my sGPA is a 3.0. I have lots of clinical and volunteer hours, I am really looking to improve the academic part of my application.

The schools I am deciding between:
-Georgetown SMP
-Boston University MAMS
-Case Western Reserve Master's Physiology
-University of Michigan Master's Physiology
-Loyola University MAMS
-Tufts MBS

I also applied to and have been accepted to a few post-baccs that allow me to take more upper-level science courses, but they would go into my undergraduate GPA and it is not a grad program (I wasn't positive what the best move was when I applied to schools so I applied to both types). I think that I am better off choosing a grad program/SMP instead of a program that will contribute to my uGPA, as even 24 credits of all A's would only bring my sGPA up to a 3.3ish, and a grad program would have an entirely separate GPA to look at). However please let me know if you have any other thoughts on this!! (programs include: Case Western PRIME, Temple ACHS, UPenn pre health post-bacc, WashingtonU St. Louis pre health post-bacc)

I would really appreciate some help with this, as I have absolutely no clue what the right thing to do is and could really use some guidance. Thank you so much for any insights/advice!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I just realized i replied to your other post in a thread but this gave me more insight! I applied to Temple, Georgetown and Case Western as well. But i am pre dental so something’s may be a little different but with your stats being near mine i feel like i was told from an admissions counselor that post bacc before masters, this being bc once you do masters and let’s say you didn’t do that well you wouldn’t be able to go back to post bacc but if you did bad in post bacc you could do a masters afterwards. Another thing I would consider if i were you is the programs with the linkage if that’s something you’re interested in! I know temples program for med track has linkage. I think you should also consider doing a chart and breaking down the pros and cons of each program and what resources each program offers bc that too is important! I think for me as of right now i’m leaning towards a post bacc bc of the reasons stated! i hope that helps you!

Hi, I just realized i replied to your other post in a thread but this gave me more insight! I applied to Temple, Georgetown and Case Western as well. But i am pre dental so something’s may be a little different but with your stats being near mine i feel like i was told from an admissions counselor that post bacc before masters, this being bc once you do masters and let’s say you didn’t do that well you wouldn’t be able to go back to post bacc but if you did bad in post bacc you could do a masters afterwards. Another thing I would consider if i were you is the programs with the linkage if that’s something you’re interested in! I know temples program for med track has linkage. I think you should also consider doing a chart and breaking down the pros and cons of each program and what resources each program offers bc that too is important! I think for me as of right now i’m leaning towards a post bacc bc of the reasons stated! i hope that helps you!
Thank you so much!! I think I’m leaning towards a masters just because after calculating it, a post-bacc would only raise my gpa by about .2 which still makes my stats low. I think that having grad school classes and doing well in those and having an additional high gpa in an application could be more beneficial than raising my ugpa by .2, but I’ve been told my advisors That both choices are good, I’m just trying to decide which program would look better to Med school admissions and give me more opportunities. CASE has a probable interview and Loyola has an automatic interview (both depending on gpa in program), but UofM would be so much cheaper for me. I just don’t know how the UofM program would compare to the other, longer established programs

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much!! I think I’m leaning towards a masters just because after calculating it, a post-bacc would only raise my gpa by about .2 which still makes my stats low. I think that having grad school classes and doing well in those and having an additional high gpa in an application could be more beneficial than raising my ugpa by .2, but I’ve been told my advisors That both choices are good, I’m just trying to decide which program would look better to Med school admissions and give me more opportunities. CASE has a probable interview and Loyola has an automatic interview (both depending on gpa in program), but UofM would be so much cheaper for me. I just don’t know how the UofM program would compare to the other, longer established programs
i think U of M will be good also just because the weight the school holds! very reputable school, and i think i’m leaning towards masters too unless i get into this dental schools actual post bacc program! i think that you should also try to find some current students who are in the programs and ask their opinions on here!