kik

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
I am having last minute problems deciding between a few New York programs.

1. St. Luke's-Roosevelt
2. Albert Einstein Beth Israel
3. Methodist
4. North Shore

I am not sure how to rank these. I am most interested in knowing about how the residents get along, is life fun in and around the program, and what is the reputation of the program around the city.
Any help would be great! I am from Philly and feel like I might not know the real scoop about these places from just one interview day.
Thanks!

roja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
NYC--->San Francisco
Status
Attending Physician
kik said:
I am having last minute problems deciding between a few New York programs.

1. St. Luke's-Roosevelt
2. Albert Einstein Beth Israel
3. Methodist
4. North Shore

I am not sure how to rank these. I am most interested in knowing about how the residents get along, is life fun in and around the program, and what is the reputation of the program around the city.
Any help would be great! I am from Philly and feel like I might not know the real scoop about these places from just one interview day.
Thanks!

Well, I would put SLR first, but thats how I did it when I ranked programs. :D PM me if you have any particular questions. We have a great time in our program. (In fact, I am recovering from our 'book club' last night.. only four hours of sleep....)

roja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
NYC--->San Francisco
Status
Attending Physician
Not much. I ended up cancelling my interview there. Its not in the city (which had then become a primary thing). Its well respected within the city. Its apparantly a nice ED (I have never seen it.).

That's about it. Sorry.

I am more familiar with my own program, NYM, and BI.

OP
K

kik

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
Then, what is the scoop around town about BI and Methodist??

roja said:
Not much. I ended up cancelling my interview there. Its not in the city (which had then become a primary thing). Its well respected within the city. Its apparantly a nice ED (I have never seen it.).

That's about it. Sorry.

I am more familiar with my own program, NYM, and BI.

roja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
NYC--->San Francisco
Status
Attending Physician
I would say that both are solid, mid-range programs. (for the city) They aren't at the top or the bottom. They both have the advantage of being 3 year programs. BI is in the East village and has housing through continuum (which is a good company to work for in the hospital sense as a resident.. pm me if you want more details). And really East Village is a FANTASTIC place to live in NYC> Its my favorite part of NYC.

NYM is in Park Slope, a very nice place to live. They do thier trauma at Kings county, which is a shock to MOST peoples system. Park Slope is veyr nice, but it is in brooklyn. If you are a die hard manhattanite, don't think you will get into the city much. However, it is a VERY cool part of brooklyn to live in. good restraunts, shops, clubs etc.

Like all things in NYC, EM is a very small world. almost everyone knows everyone, so ifyou do well in your residency, you will do well in the job market. I would say go more on your gut instinct in terms of where you felt you would fit in best.

You will see what you need to see at any of these programs.

j7chico

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2001
Queens NY
Visit site
Status
I trained at North Shore and loved every minute of it. I stayed on as an ultrasound fellow and will be there next year as core faculty.
You can e-mail me with any questions. :laugh:
Jerry