Help Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GamecockDoc1329

Reaction score
Hello,
I apologize in advance for the long post but I would love an unbiased, experienced opinion.

I am a current college senior and have received acceptances from KCU-Joplin as well as LECOM-Erie in the Directed Study Pathway (formerly Independent Study Pathway). I am also interviewing at the University of South Carolina this Wednesday. Little background: I attend South Carolina currently for undergrad and have a research position at the medical school. I am also from around Philadelphia.

First of all, I want to ask what your opinion is on deciding between KCU-Joplin and LECOM. I loved the Joplin campus but I am not in love with the location, although I understand a lot of my time will be taken with hitting the books. Erie is closer to home but the location is also not a favorite. A lot of the "cons" from LECOM are kind of alleviated with the DSP program, and I feel as though they don't accept many students into it. I would not need to attend the mandatory lectures, and as someone who is a self-learner, that was the largest turn-off from LECOM.

From everything that I have read online and from visiting both campuses, I feel as though KCU would be better preparation for my career. I just want someone's experienced opinion on both schools and the DSP at LECOM vs. KCU-Joplin. Also of note is that I am interested in moving out West eventually and a lot of the rotation sites for KCU are in Colorado and California, both places I am interested in living.

Next, with my upcoming interview at USC-Columbia, I feel as though I have a good chance of being accepted due to the fact that I have close ties to the area and that I know many faculty members and students due to research. I am not taking this for granted, and am completely prepared to decide between KCU and LECOM. In the situation that I am accepted to USC, this would complicate my decision (or should it?). I have contemplated the DO vs. MD argument throughout the application process, and I want to know if I gain an acceptance to only one MD school over multiple DO programs, do I automatically attend USC? I haven't heard great things about the school and I would like to experience a new area, yet I do like where I live and could see myself living here for a few more years.

I appreciate any help you can provide me in making my decision, and I brought up the USC-Columbia interview because I am not sure how long it will take for a response, but I am more interested in differentiating LECOM (DSP) and KCU-Joplin. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you get the MD acceptance, there shouldn't be any discussion here especially with USMLE moving to pass/fail. This would keep the greatest amount of doors open for your future career.
Between KCU and LECOM (DSP), there is no wrong choice here. Go where you feel you liked the most.
Personally I prefer KCU.

Reactions: 1 user
If you get the MD acceptance, there shouldn't be any discussion here especially with USMLE moving to pass/fail. This would keep the greatest amount of doors open for your future career.
Between KCU and LECOM (DSP), there is no wrong choice here. Go where you feel you liked the most.
Personally I prefer KCU.
Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind, why KCU?

Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind, why KCU?
Older more established and respected program
Decent GME
Good rotations
Decent match list every year

edit: At the same time the cheap tuition of LECOM is still attractive. The only downside is that I haven't heard great things about LECOM's rotations.