SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Help on AMCAS MCAT question?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by chak_de_phatee, May 1, 2002.

  1. chak_de_phatee

    chak_de_phatee Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Apr 26, 2002
    I took the MCAT cold in 2000 and got a 25 on it so I took it again this april. I busted my butt this time. My question is should I send in the AMCAS application on june 1 or wait until I get my scores. If I send it in before the new scores are released could it hurt me? Because the schools might not get a chance to look at my new scores and might reject me before the new scores get to them. Thanks in advance for any info.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. GATC

    GATC Member 7+ Year Member

    Apr 23, 2002
    I have no idea...SORRY....If it was me I would wait a few weeks till I got my score. This delay should not hurt you since it is so early in the application process. I wouldn't want to start off bad...

    good luck.
  4. Vdawg

    Vdawg Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Oct 23, 2001
    wait till u get your scores for sure. if you did awesome on it, you might change what schools you want to apply to... and conversely, for if you bombed it,etc. It really won't make a diff for the 2-3 weeks you will have to wait. but amcas will be delayed anyway probably!! so basically wait
  5. Amy B

    Amy B I miss my son so much Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

    Aug 7, 2000
    On your AMCAS application, there is a box you will check where it states that you took the April MCAT. Send in your application as soon as you can. The medical schools will see that you have checked that box and will put your application on a short hold until you get your scores.

    Once you recieve your scores, mail, fed ex, or fax them to the schools you apply to. That way they will have them AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. AAMC will follow that with their offical scores, but your fax can beat the score report from AAMC.

    That is what I did and it served me well. ALthought I also sent all my schools my printed out application from the AMCAS web site, cause AMCAS refused to process and send my application for months, that is until my lawyer wrote them a threatening letter. I had interviews from the applications I mailed before AMCAS even sent my appl. hopefully this year will be the year AMCAS gets their act together. Ha, and pigs will learn to fly this year.

    Good luck.
  6. spacecadet

    spacecadet Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Jul 2, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I agree with Vdawg in that your scores might affect where you want to apply. Go ahead and fill out AMCAS and send in your transcripts. Then when your scores come in (should be 3rd week in June, right?) submit your application. AMCAS probably won't even be working yet by then. :rolleyes:

    Start calling AMCAS right after you submit to make sure they got your transcripts, and get those letters of rec ready.
  7. chak_de_phatee

    chak_de_phatee Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Apr 26, 2002
    Thanks a lot guys, I think that is great advise to fill out everything and send in the transcripts. Then fax the scores as soon as I get them.
  8. sandflea

    sandflea Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Jun 23, 2001
    actually i don't believe there is a box to check for taking the april MCAT, although there is definitely a box to check for the august MCAT. if last year is any indication, waiting two or three weeks into june to submit your application won't make any difference. submitting in june is still very early, be it the beginning or end of june. if you're that worried about your scores, i would wait until they come in, because as someone else noted, it could affect where you decide to apply.

Share This Page