• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

hopefuldocwps

2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
    I have a question about how to word an experience on my application.

I have spent this summer at a family practice where I assist the nurses in taking vitals, discussing care with the doctors, taking phone calls, etc. I’ve aquired about 150 hrs at the office but don’t know what to classify them as on application.

When describing this on my med school applications should I say this is shadowing? Volunteer work (I didn’t get paid)? Split up my time between the two?
    Any/all advice is helpful!

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Sep 4, 2006
    The Other Side of the Portal
    1. Attending Physician
      I have a question about how to word an experience on my application.

I have spent this summer at a family practice where I assist the nurses in taking vitals, discussing care with the doctors, taking phone calls, etc. I’ve aquired about 150 hrs at the office but don’t know what to classify them as on application.

When describing this on my med school applications should I say this is shadowing? Volunteer work (I didn’t get paid)? Split up my time between the two?
      Any/all advice is helpful!
      How many of the hours, or what percent, did you observe the physician going about his/her day?
      Taking vitals and fielding phone calls was a volunteer experience. You can split out the two components and list them separately. Shadowing can be grouped with other shadowing you acquire if the hours aren't sufficiently substantial on their own.

Reactions: 1 user
      About the Ads

hopefuldocwps

2+ Year Member
      Jul 23, 2018
        How many of the hours, or what percent, did you observe the physician going about his/her day?
        Taking vitals and fielding phone calls was a volunteer experience. You can split out the two components and list them separately. Shadowing can be grouped with other shadowing you acquire if the hours aren't sufficiently substantial on their own.

See that's the thing I think I need help on! I know that fielding calls/vitals are volunteer but since this was a small private practice I reported to the doctor directly about what was going on with every patient and would observe how she would treat them/ her thought process when diagnosing a patient. So I saw the doctor go about her day the whole summer I just wasn't at her hip/going into every room with her when she was visiting with patients.

Overall it was more hours of medical volunteering I just don't know whether I should put it as one experience or put some of my hours in shadowing and some in medical volunteering if that makes sense!

califlipboy92

2+ Year Member
        Oct 26, 2017
        1. Medical Student
          You should categorize based on what your application needs more of. If you have plenty of other volunteering experiences, mark this one as shadowing. If you have a lot of other shadowing, mark this as volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
          Verified Expert
          15+ Year Member
          Sep 4, 2006
          The Other Side of the Portal
          1. Attending Physician
            See that's the thing I think I need help on! I know that fielding calls/vitals are volunteer but since this was a small private practice I reported to the doctor directly about what was going on with every patient and would observe how she would treat them/ her thought process when diagnosing a patient. So I saw the doctor go about her day the whole summer I just wasn't at her hip/going into every room with her when she was visiting with patients.

Overall it was more hours of medical volunteering I just don't know whether I should put it as one experience or put some of my hours in shadowing and some in medical volunteering if that makes sense!
            I suggest you what I bolded. But it sounds like you'll also need some dedicated shadowing, where you are glued to the hip of the doc for every patient and can witness the patient-physician interaction, and the paperwork, and the doc's phone calls, and the online computer research, etc. All in all, though, it sounds like it was a very good experience for you.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.