Help please... IDP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ke539

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Word of advice please. Could someone tell what are my chances of acceptance into IDP DDS. And also how can I improve.

BDS GPA 2.5 avg GPA 3.16
MPH GPA 3.57
About 2 yrs work experience in India
10 volunteer dental camps in India
Dental assistant since September
24 CE points

Will be taking NBDE part 1 next month

Also considering to do MBS

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA does not impress, as well as everything else you listed. What is GPA 2.5?
You need all help you can get. Obviously both parts of NBDE and high TOEFL score
Stay DA, get impressive CEs and good LORs, volunteer in the US hospital or similar

Your GPA does not impress, as well as everything else you listed. What is GPA 2.5?
You need all help you can get. Obviously both parts of NBDE and high TOEFL score
Stay DA, get impressive CEs and good LORs, volunteer in the US hospital or similar
Thanks for your advice.
GPA 2.5 is comprehensive grade and 3.16 is best result. I passed 4 courses on 2nd attempt.

Doing second master's program and try to get better GPA will help? And what about research work like RA?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's bad
I assume you graduated a school in India, which makes it that much harder for you to get the admission due to competition , as you probably already know.
This means, that you need to have the best application in order to get the interview at least. Choose for yourself, if you would prefer to risk wasting money and applying with whatever you have this year or improve and apply next year
Master's suppose to help. Research is 50/50, some schools like it some don't care. US work experience is a plus
I would not apply without both boards and above a 100 TOEFL.
Make sure you speaking is good and you are ready for a bench test

Reactions: 1 users
That's bad
I assume you graduated a school in India, which makes it that much harder for you to get the admission due to competition , as you probably already know.
This means, that you need to have the best application in order to get the interview at least. Choose for yourself, if you would prefer to risk wasting money and applying with whatever you have this year or improve and apply next year
Master's suppose to help. Research is 50/50, some schools like it some don't care. US work experience is a plus
I would not apply without both boards and above a 100 TOEFL.
Make sure you speaking is good and you are ready for a bench test
Thanks again. Really appreciate your help.

Nobody can help you until you’ve passed both NBDE parts and scored well in TOEFL. Your GOA isnt a deal breaker but no school would risk it until they’re confident you won’t be held back due to failing boards.

thanks. If I pass both nbde and score around 100. What will be my chances? Should I do second master's degree in science?

thanks. If I pass both nbde and score around 100. What will be my chances? Should I do second master's degree in science?
I highly doubt a second masters would do anything at this point besides wasting your time and money. Focus on dental assisting, volunteer work, community service etc

I highly doubt a second masters would do anything at this point besides wasting your time and money. Focus on dental assisting, volunteer work, community service etc
I heard Master of science program like MS in biomedical Science can help improve low GPA. Is this true?

I heard Master of science program like MS in biomedical Science can help improve low GPA. Is this true?
In general, regular dental students get master's to improve their GPA. International students might manage without doing so.
For example, you would need to explain your low GPA in your personal statement and show what has changed to avoid the same situation in the future

Reactions: 1 user
In general, regular dental students get master's to improve their GPA. International students might manage without doing so.
For example, you would need to explain your low GPA in your personal statement and show what has changed to avoid the same situation in the future
Thanks a lot.

Hi All, I am working on applying first time this cycle for IDP programs, my stats are below can some of you give some insight on my chances and how to improve, is my low GPA going to be an issue for US schools?

BDS GPA 3.07 & MBA (in heathcare admin from india) GPA 4.0
NBDE Part 1 & 2 passed 1st attempt
TOEFL 110
2-3 years work exp in India and also volunteer work from India
2 years and ongoing dental assistant in US
40 hours volunteer dental assisting in US community free clinic (still ongoing)
100+ hours volunteering non-dental/medical related activities
45 CE credits (2 in person courses and few online courses)

Hi All, I am working on applying first time this cycle for IDP programs, my stats are below can some of you give some insight on my chances and how to improve, is my low GPA going to be an issue for US schools?

TOEFL 110
Looks good. GPA is fine.
You need excellent recommendations and good personal statement to get an interview. Excellent communication and practical skills to get an admission

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

TOEFL 110
You’re in good shape. Just don’t be a weirdo.at the interview and you’ll do fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it true that non-dental volunteering doesn't really matter to the admissions committee?:(

You’re in good shape. Just don’t be a weirdo.at the interview and you’ll do fine.

I would say OK shape, not good, but Captain is right. Ke539, have a good attitude and keep working hard. Get the best possible result at the TOEFL and the NBDE. A good English makes a lot of difference, starting with the attitude they will have towards you.

A second masters wouldn't hurt, if it is in a relevant topic and a relevant University. Otherwise, it will look on your CV like you paid for another piece of paper; which most of the times is the case.

Besides, schools make money through those programmes, so somebody will accept you, I don't doubt that. Also, since diversity seems to be so important nowadays, surely there will be someone who will give you a chance.

Don't be a weirdo, speak properly, get good scores and you should do fine. Best of luck

could anyone tell if i have chance to get into IDP
nbde1 and 2 pass
Toefl 100
shadowing experience in us 6 months
gpa 3.89

nbde1 and 2 pass
Toefl 100
gpa 3.89

No idea why people waste so much time shadowing. Papers, papers is all that matters. Certificates, letters of recommendation, etc.

You have a strong chance. That GPA is very good. Same with your TOEFL score.

can anyone tell how to do research on schools(how there program is, what is their goal)?

Is it true that non-dental volunteering doesn't really matter to the admissions committee?:(
No. They want you to be exposed to US dentistry in order for you to know what you are getting yourself into. If you have shadowing, then it should be fine, but I would do volunteering in the hospital - it is a little more work, but is very valuable

nbde1 and 2 pass
Toefl 100
gpa 3.89
Hello!
Could you tell me from where did you convert your grades from your home country to the US grading system to calculate your GPA accurate? is it from Scholaro Grade Conversion ? Also which is you country and what was the most common grade in your diploma?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited: