Help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rainman1973

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is our situation I am a landscape owner I am married to a Peruvian from Lima ,Peru she was a orthodontist there, She wants to know if it is neccassary to do all 4 exams to work like as dentist here or only the first 2? Also if she passes the first exam can she work as a assistant here?And how many total exams to get back to being a orthodontist? Does anyone know if there are some meetings in Orlando Fl. that we can find out about.She has spent the last ten years studying and would be nice for her to get back to work.Is anyone in Orlando preparing for the first exam?
Thank you for your help
Steve

Members don't see this ad.

Rainman1973 said:
Here is our situation I am a landscape owner I am married to a Peruvian from Lima ,Peru she was a orthodontist there, She wants to know if it is neccassary to do all 4 exams to work like as dentist here or only the first 2? Also if she passes the first exam can she work as a assistant here?And how many total exams to get back to being a orthodontist? Does anyone know if there are some meetings in Orlando Fl. that we can find out about.She has spent the last ten years studying and would be nice for here to get back to work.Is anyone in Orlando preparing for the first exam?
Thank you for your help
Steve
hi
well she has to take the ndbe part1 and then apply to schools for the international dentist program and get her dds from here followed by lience and then she can practice as a denitst. ya she can work as a dental asssitant .
hope this helps
cheers
anitgen

First of all, congrats on marring an orthodontist! I know quite a few Peruvian women (dentists) and they're awesome cooks!!

Well, regarding getting back into her dental career in the US, here is the short version of it:

Must haves

1. National Board Dental Exams Parts 1 and 2
2. TOEFL (need it just before you apply for licensure/schools)
3. One of the regional clinical boards (if she's allowed by that state dental board)

If she can't take the clinical boards because of educational requirement not met.... then,

She may need to consider,

1. Another couple of years in a US dental school (as a 3rd/4th year student).
2. Apply directly to a US orthdontic program (ADA-accredited Ortho grads only call themselves orthodontists here in the US), it's very competitive so she needs high scores in Parts 1 and 2 (around 90).
3. Apply to a GPR/AEGD and satisfy some of the additional schooling requirements stated by some state dental boards prior to licensing

Hope this was helpful to you. While preparing for the exams/applications, she should (if she's allowed to) work as an ortho assistant so that she could pick up the lingo and the type of ortho done in the US.

Good luck!

Cheers,

BTH

Members don't see this ad :)
So she can practice as a dental asistant after the first exam?

She doesn't need any qualifications/examinations to work as a dental assistant. She would need letters of references though from previous employers. How is her English? Can she speak/write well? Does she have valid immigration papers? Assistant job can be started easy. Pay would be at basic hourly rate. If she gets qualified as a CDA, then may go up a little higher. I guess FL dental assistants have different regulations with radiograph exposure, prophy and other expanded function? I don't know.

Let me answer it simply. No, she doesn't need any academic exams to start working as a dental assistant. She can look up a job in the classifieds and knock on the door.

But if she wants to work as a dentist, then it's a whole lot of different story. I could tell you now that it will be long and hard years....