help please..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc 1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hii guyzz, i m a pre med student and finished my sphomore year with 2.7 gpa , this semster upper sophomore i screwed up got F in orgo 1 and semster gpa 1.5, i still have two and half years and i have currently 50 credits , i really want to go to med school , please can any one tell me still i have any chance of getting in , i still have to take bio classes and math clases and have to repeat phyiscs 121 because got C- please can any one guide, Any one with similar situition get in to med school please share your experience please.... i m really passionate about MD ...

Members don't see this ad.

You've got an uphill battle, but you're not out of the race. First I'd try to figure out what contributed to your difficulties in Organic and Physics. Did you have too many EC's going on? Too large of a course load? Not enough study time/too much partying? Simply not understanding the material?

Once you identify those (and meeting with an academic advisor can help you), take steps to prevent any similar problems as you retake them in the future. Develop a study strategy, meet with your professor during office hours, get a tutor, etc. If you're passionate about medicine you'll do whatever you need to to identify and correct the factors that contributed to your grades this term.

Schools understand and can see past early mistakes; most people slip up at some point during their lives. Fix the problem, repeat the courses, and never look back. You'll probably be asked about this semester during interviews; don't make excuses. Tell it like it is and focus on how you learned from it and moved forward.

Good luck! :)

With a GPA of 2.7 after 50 credit hours, if you can get straight As for the next 100 hours of classwork, your GPA will be up to a 3.56. This would mean staying in school for an extra year and applying after the completion of 10 semesters. This GPA is still below the mean for acceptees of 3.65, but with a high MCAT score you could compensate, and likely get an allopathic (MD) medical school acceptance.

If that road seems too long and difficult, or impossible, you could consider applying to DO (osteopathic) medical schools. Their application service will replace your bad grade with the retaken grade (rather than averaging them as the MD application service will). This would allow for more rapid GPA improvement.

If you are passionate about becoming a physician, either route will get you there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a really similar position (didn't break 3.0 until junior year). Just work really hard and do well in the rest of your classes, and start preparing yourself for the realization that you'll probably need an extra year or two after you finish your Bachelors. and you may also want to consider the fact that you may never make it into medical school.

right now you need to ask yourself a) if you really want to be a physician and b) what are you willing to do to get there? It's not impossible but it is going to have to involve taking some time off and making sure every other area of your application is in great shape (ie MCAT, ECs, clinical experience) plus you need to get amazing grades. Like someone said, it is an uphill battle but it has been done before & if you really want this you can do it.

good luck! don't lose hope!

Be careful, C- and F grades can really tank a GPA forever. If your semester GPA was a 1.5 and your cumulative GPA is 2.7, I'm guessing you were maintaining a solid 3.4 GPA before this semester? That's not too shabby at all for a first-year student.

My concern is with your BCPM (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics) GPA, with a C- and F factored in, not just your cumulative GPA. You need to take more math/science courses, do well in them, and realize that STILL may not be enough to salvage your BCPM GPA. In that case, you should also entertain the idea of a few other careers. Not to dissuade you (I know medicine is your passion), but it will be difficult to gain admission with a cumulative/BCPM GPA under 3.5, let alone under 3.0.