help, please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent86218

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS-3 here...interested in radiology and anesthesiology. But, don't know which to choose!!!

Step 1-232/99
I had done research in surgery with poster presentations but nothing published since college and no research in either radiology or anesthesiology.

I am just not sure what a good score is for either field.....or what my chances are with getting into one or the other.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

MS-3 here...interested in radiology and anesthesiology. But, don't know which to choose!!!

Step 1-232/99
I had done research in surgery with poster presentations but nothing published since college and no research in either radiology or anesthesiology.

I am just not sure what a good score is for either field.....or what my chances are with getting into one or the other.

thanks

I'm sure some higher ups will chime in as well but I just wanted to suggest first deciding which field appeals to you more in terms of actual medical practice. While neither has long term patient contact, the day to day duties are quite different. (Obviously you know this, I'm just reiterating it!)

I'd say, with your scores you could easily match into either if you apply broadly and to appropriately competitive programs. So really, its going to come down to which you truly want to do!

Step 1-232/99

thanks
You'll be fine score-wise for either specialty, so just decide which you'd rather do for the rest of your life. It's an interesting decision considering how vastly different the fields are, but it's not the first time I've seen it (my husband, who is in anesthesiology, met someone on an interview that I had met the previous week on a radiology interview). They're both great fields, though, so you can't go wrong!

Step 1-232/99

thanks

do a rotation in both, ask a lot of questions about what people like about their respected field, put yourself in the attending's shoes, and try and decide where you would fit in best and what you wouldn't mind doing every day.

It's a difficult decision because 1) Rotations are only a month, 2) You usually see the academic lifestyle rather than the private practice lifestyle, 3) Radiology is really diverse compared to a lot fields in that there a number of subspecialty areas and practice settings, 4) a lot of things could change in the next 3-6 years (and over the course of your career), so much so that what you see during your rotation and what you are trained to do during your residency may differ from what you end up doing.