HELP PLEASE!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LL

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently on two waitinglists. I am reapplying for 2001 just in case and I am wondering how to improve my application. My MCATs are good so I don't want to retake them on the off chance that I will score lower. I have a research job right now and my boss told me that they would be fine with me taking some classes and continuing to work full time. My other option for improvement is to get a new job. I live near a major university and I am currently qualified for some much more interesting jobs(i.e research study coordinator)there. Which of these would be a better thing to do? My undergrad GPA was 3.6 science, 3.6 overall. What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of medical experience do you have? Since you didn't mention any, it's possible that is the hole in your application. You gotta give them some kind of patient care time. I think-- not being a research person myself-- that medical experience would probably be more valuable than a research job. Where are you waitlisted? What was your MCAT score/breakdown? What area of the country are you in? (I know of some good volunteer opportunities in the Bay Area) More specific details will help us give you more personalized advice.
wink.gif

Hey LL,

I don't think it is your grades, so I don't know how much taking more classes is going to help. 3.6 in science and overall in undergrad is excellent and better than my undergrad gpa and post bac combined. Plus you said your MCAT was good as well, mine too and there is no way in hell I am going to risk letting that go down. I would go for the more interesting job. That's what I am going to do. After a year of lab work and a year of working in a Path department conducting autopsies along with numerous other volunteer activities, I think I am qualified for a job with a good amount of responsibility and prestige factor. Maybe something that will get me interviews and give me something better to talk about than just why I want to go to medical school. Also a better job will give you the opportunity to get new recs which may put you over the edge later in the process when you have worked long enough to ask for one. If you want to take classes, do so but I think your free time outside of your new job would be better spent volunteering in some capacity.
I think I got waitlisted because of some low grades in my past and a late application. Well chosen recs and work experience got me five interviews. I wish there was some magic wand I could just wave and come up with the formula for how to get into medical school with what I have, but there isn't. I can only guess and come up with plans of action like that above. One more piece of advice, get a hobby. Preferably one that involves being outside. God knows having one this year would have saved me a lot of stress. If I am to go through this hellish process again I am going to keep myself as busy as I can and stop depriving myself of fun in favor of moping about an empty mailbox. That is just my two cents and what I have planned for myself. Regardless, I hope we both get in. Maybe we'll be classmates at Loyola.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies you two. I have a lot of volunteer medical experience but it is all in the past. When I started my current job (working with surgery patients involved in a drug study)I stopped the volunteering because I was so busy and I thought that my job included significant enough medical exposure. In my free time I coach kids. I was a college athlete so it helps me relax and I love working with the kids. I am currently living in the Northwest. My MCAT was all 10's. If I do take a new job at the major University it will involve a leagthy commute and little to no raise in pay.

[This message has been edited by LL (edited 06-07-2000).]

I think you're right about the MCAT-- all 10's is too good to even *think* about retaking it. Have the schools at which you are waitlisted given you any indication of your place on the list? Make sure they know you're very interested! Who knows--it could still happen this year. I stayed w/a student while interviewing who was called 2 weeks into the first year-- they said, hey, wanna start medical school? and by the way, you've got a biochem midterm in 2 days!