Help quick!! Question about scholarships and schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plainolerichie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m in a bit of a “predicament” with the whole medical school application process. I admit it’s not really that bad but I’m really not sure at all what to do, and even worse, I have to decide by July 6th.

Anyways, I went to Europe backpacking for a month and I was on two waitlists while there. Well, I got an email saying I got accepted into Tufts and got a scholarship for 22 thousand dollars (or half tuition) for all four years. I also have to reply by the 6th (that’s after an extension). But I was going to go to Keck but they gave me no scholarship money.

The thing is, I want to go to Keck more than Tufts, just not 22 thousand dollars a year more than Tufts. So, as I stand now, I am going to Tufts. BUT does anyone know how I could possibly go about talking to Keck and “negotiating” to see if they could give me any scholarship money. In other words, does anyone have any advice on who to talk to (dean, fin aid, someone in the office of admissions, etc.) and how (phone, email, or whatever)? Has this worked for anyone or is it a lost cause?

Or should I just withdraw from Keck without telling them it’s because of money although I want to go to Keck more?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, I'm really jealous about your scholarship to Tufts.

I would ask them if they are willing to give you more financial aid; the worst they can do is say no.

Go where you'll be happy. If you think that you can be happy at Tufts, then I'll see you next year. If you think that you'll be a lot happier at Keck, then go there.

Since your decision is due on the 6th, you really only have 1 day, the 5th, to work this all out. I say go for it, and if nothing comes out of it by that night, then accept Tufts the next day. When you only have to pay off like $60,000 worth of loans, you will thank yourself later.

Members don't see this ad :)
silas2642 said:
Wow, I'm really jealous about your scholarship to Tufts.

I would ask them if they are willing to give you more financial aid; the worst they can do is say no.

Go where you'll be happy. If you think that you can be happy at Tufts, then I'll see you next year. If you think that you'll be a lot happier at Keck, then go there.

I know I should ask, but who and how. Dean, fin aid officer, or who. Should I ask by email or phone? I would never be able to contact the dean of most schools before by phone especially.

plainolerichie said:
I know I should ask, but who and how. Dean, fin aid officer, or who. Should I ask by email or phone? I would never be able to contact the dean of most schools before by phone especially.
I think some of them will talk to you once you've been accepted. I'd ask to talk to the dean. Say you'd love to attend, but you're concerned about the debt burden (family can't help you, etc). You've got another offer on the table, can they counter? Even if they laugh you off the phone, you still tried.

TheProwler said:
I think some of them will talk to you once you've been accepted. I'd ask to talk to the dean. Say you'd love to attend, but you're concerned about the debt burden (family can't help you, etc). You've got another offer on the table, can they counter? Even if they laugh you off the phone, you still tried.

I second this. Call early tomorrow when the school opens and ask to speak to the dean. Tell them that they're your clear cut first choice, but that you also have to consider finances and would they respectfully reconsider a more generous financial aid package.