Help! Rescinded DO offer!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGreatRat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I got accepted into a D.O. school this year and just got notified that my offer is being rescinded because I "didn't graduate from a regionally accredited institution". I graduated from a Canadian university (University of Toronto). Obviously, I'm unbelievably pissed off and the school doesn't seem to care about my explanation (really, what can I say when its not a U.S. school and all they care about is that it is one?). Its not like they had my transcript on file for almost a year or anything.

They're telling me to finish my graduate degree (I need one more semester, so I can't in time). There was no condition before on my acceptance. I'm trying to get some kind of deferred acceptance, but I really don't want to go to a school willing to pull that kind of stunt.

All of that aside. I just want to know how this would impact my future application. Will schools be willing to hear my side of the story or will it look like a red

Any advice would be great! (this sucks by the way)

Members don't see this ad.

So basically you would still be a grad student once the med school's orientation starts? Assuming a 15 week semester that would end in September and most med schools starting in August

So basically you would still be a grad student once the med school's orientation starts? Assuming a 15 week semester that would end in September and most med schools starting in August
I would graduate in December (I tried to rush it as much as possible, but its not enough to finish in August). I didn't think I would lose my acceptance because of my undergraduate degree being from Canada when there was no mention of it before. But, my main concern is how it would be seen in the eyes of the adcoms this cycle for both MD and DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure this isn't more of an issue of 'you didn't graduate' rather than 'you didn't graduate from an accredited university'? To me it sounds like they're rescinding your offer because you can't be in two places at once

I can't speak to how this will affect reapplication chances, but I know 2 people who faced similar issues and both were able to negotiate a deferral. Although they did so as soon as they were accepted and nowhere near risk for a rescinded acceptance, this may be your best bet

Are you sure this isn't more of an issue of 'you didn't graduate' rather than 'you didn't graduate from an accredited university'? To me it sounds like they're rescinding your offer because you can't be in two places at once
Right, I was probably not very clear with the timeline. After I was accepted (months later, actually) the offer was rescinded saying my bachelor's was not from a U.S. accredited college (should this check not have been done earlier?). Those were the exact words used. The only reason I was asked to finish the graduate degree (from Wayne State) was because I brought it to their attention AFTER I was told my offer was being rescinded when I pretty much lost all hope in convincing the school that a Canadian degree should be fine. They didn't know how long I would be a grad student for before telling me the offer was being rescinded by the way.

I would try to set up a skype or phone meeting with someone in admissions to talk through this situation. If for nothing else, you should find out why the offer was rescinded so long after you were accepted. If it was oversight on their part, you might be able to set something up. I am not extremely up to date on the setup of Canadian universities, but it might be possible for you to finish your graduate degree during the summer between M1 and M2. Talk through the options and see if you can get something worked out. My personal opinion is it is slightly ridiculous to rescind an offer from a school as large as University of Toronto. From my limited knowledge, it should be worth at least as much as a US university.

The key to all of this is tko be as professional as possible. Try to set up a meeting ASAP. Have people read over your correspondence to make sure you edit out anything that could be misconstrued as being rude or unprofessional.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Best of luck!

I would try to set up a skype or phone meeting with someone in admissions to talk through this situation. If for nothing else, you should find out why the offer was rescinded so long after you were accepted. If it was oversight on their part, you might be able to set something up. I am not extremely up to date on the setup of Canadian universities, but it might be possible for you to finish your graduate degree during the summer between M1 and M2. Talk through the options and see if you can get something worked out. My personal opinion is it is slightly ridiculous to rescind an offer from a school as large as University of Toronto. From my limited knowledge, it should be worth at least as much as a US university.

The key to all of this is tko be as professional as possible. Try to set up a meeting ASAP. Have people read over your correspondence to make sure you edit out anything that could be misconstrued as being rude or unprofessional.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Best of luck!
Agreed, and I already talked in person with the Dean. It is no oversight and I have been told that regardless of other schools being okay with my degree, they are not. My graduate degree will be from Wayne State University (in Michigan). I am a U.S. Citizen too. Also, they are not okay with me doing the last bit in the summer between M1 and M2, they want an acceptable degree before matriculation. My best shot is a deferred acceptance, but I still want to know how this would impact my application for this cycle if I don't get that deferral because like I said...I really don't want to attend this school if I don't have to.

Agreed, and I already talked in person with the Dean. It is no oversight and I have been told that regardless of other schools being okay with my degree, they are not. My graduate degree will be from Wayne State University (in Michigan). I am a U.S. Citizen too. Also, they are not okay with me doing the last bit in the summer between M1 and M2, they want an acceptable degree before matriculation. My best shot is a deferred acceptance, but I still want to know how this would impact my application for this cycle if I don't get that deferral because like I said...I really don't want to attend this school if I don't have to.

My suggestion is take a look on the schools website, and see if there is any mention in eligibility requirements of needing a degree from the USA. If so, this was an oversight on your part. If not, you couldn't have known and it can be explained away.

My suggestion is take a look on the schools website, and see if there is any mention in eligibility requirements of needing a degree from the USA. If so, this was an oversight on your part. If not, you couldn't have known and it can be explained away.
It said from a regionally accredited institution. The same was written on KCUMB's website who had no issues (I am currently wait listed there). But, just in case I did bring it up during this school's interview when the director of admissions noticed I was from a Canadian school and made a bit of a joke about it. I still got the acceptance so I thought it was alright.

It said from a regionally accredited institution. The same was written on KCUMB's website who had no issues (I am currently wait listed there). But, just in case I did bring it up during this school's interview when the director of admissions noticed I was from a Canadian school and made a bit of a joke about it. I still got the acceptance so I thought it was alright.

Yeah, seems like a detail that I wouldn't blame you for missing. After all, your school is accredited by your region.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, seems like a detail that I wouldn't blame you for missing. After all, your school is accredited by your region.
I also already paid my deposit long ago, and DO deposits are expensive! :(
Do MD schools know that I was accepted to DO schools, should I explain this before hand or only if I am asked later on?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also already paid my deposit long ago, and DO deposits are expensive! :(
You already paid the deposit? I really hope they refunded it for you. I don't think that they have any legal claim to it since the acceptance was their mistake since they will no longer accept you. It might be worth asking about if you can't figure out an alternative.

You already paid the deposit? I really hope they refunded it for you. I don't think that they have any legal claim to it since the acceptance was their mistake since they will no longer accept you. It might be worth asking about if you can't figure out an alternative.
Yeah I'm definitely asking for it back. It hurts more knowing I got an acceptance to another school earlier and this is happening now too.

Go back to the other school and beg? I have no idea if that's even an option, but I would.
I did try that to no avail. That acceptance was long ago. I'm still on the wait list for KCU (my #1 DO choice) so I'll hope for that.

If they won't accept UToronto, then they shouldn't accept any Canadian graduate. Do they know that Canada has a federal requirement that only those approved by the Canadian Federal Government can be in business and call themselves "University"?

It's different in the US where any Tom, Dick or Harry can open a school and call it a
"University".

Have they never accepted anyone from Canada before? Regional accreditation is only a US thing.

If I were you I'd take the deferral and start next year after finishing the Masters because "bird in the the hand" and to avoid the stress of going through applications again with an uncertain outcome. You may not get in another school.

If you're dead-set against that, I'd say to reapply MD/DO and not to freak out. If asked, explain that you were accepted but the school for some strange reason couldn't get comfortable with the Canadian school and you had to reapply. By then, you'll have the Masters so no school should care.

I'll cross my fingers that you get in KCU and don't have to go to the weird school or reapply.

So, I got accepted into a D.O. school this year and just got notified that my offer is being rescinded because I "didn't graduate from a regionally accredited institution". I graduated from a Canadian university (University of Toronto). Obviously, I'm unbelievably pissed off and the school doesn't seem to care about my explanation (really, what can I say when its not a U.S. school and all they care about is that it is one?). Its not like they had my transcript on file for almost a year or anything.

They're telling me to finish my graduate degree (I need one more semester, so I can't in time). There was no condition before on my acceptance. I'm trying to get some kind of deferred acceptance, but I really don't want to go to a school willing to pull that kind of stunt.

All of that aside. I just want to know how this would impact my future application. Will schools be willing to hear my side of the story or will it look like a red

You probably already did this but have you contacted your advisors at U Toronto? Maybe they could speak to adcoms on your behalf if you have to reapply

You probably already did this but have you contacted your advisors at U Toronto? Maybe they could speak to adcoms on your behalf if you have to reapply
I tried to see if they could do something to convince the school to accept the degree, but it didn't work. I'll have my masters for the next cycle so it shouldn't matter anyways anymore.

This is an unfortunate situation. I am so sorry to hear that you have to go through this on such last minute notice. Wishing you the best of luck. Do your best to remain patient, as impossible as it may seem at the time. Professionalism and resiliency will certainly pay off for you, I'm sure.

In additiona to @Goro , @Faha would probably be able to provide good advice on how to move forward from here.

I'm at a loss as to what to advise.
Would OP be viewed negatively if he/she were to apply to other MD/DO schools, and they saw that OP had this acceptance but "turned it down"?

Would OP be viewed negatively if he/she were to apply to other MD/DO schools, and they saw that OP had this acceptance but "turned it down"?
Something like this has happened at my school once. The person interviewed, and the Admissions dean found out after the interview, but before the Adcom was going to vote on the candidate. We had to reject him.
I find it hard to believe that other schools would refuse to consider U of T to be a fully accredited school, no matter where it's located. Hence, I can't see any other med school turning OP away because the school that screwed him over didn't like the status of U of T.

As a Canadian who graduated from a university in Ontario and will be, someday applying to DO schools this is somewhat concerning. I have already messaged several schools that I am interested in and the vast majority stated that Canadian universities were deemed to be legitimate but I would still have to "verify" the transcript; this was of particular emphasis in the state of Texas. Even though I'm likely moving to the US and acquiring citizenship before I apply, it's making me lean towards schools listed to be Canadian friendly.

Something like this has happened at my school once. The person interviewed, and the Admissions dean found out after the interview, but before the Adcom was going to vote on the candidate. We had to reject him.
I find it hard to believe that other schools would refuse to consider U of T to be a fully accredited school, no matter where it's located. Hence, I can't see any other med school turning OP away because the school that screwed him over didn't like the status of U of T.
Did you have to reject the candidate because they didn't inform you in the interview? Or because of the incident itself?

Hmmm so they are rescinding the offer because you went to a better school than the majority of their matriculants and they're too ignorant to look outside of their little American bubble? Sounds like a great school.

That said I would continue to contact them and try to argue about them accepting your degree.

Consider asking to defer and reapply in Canada in the interim?

Regarding the deposit, can you file with your credit card? Small claims court?

On applications, I can't remember if it gives an option to describe what happened with acceptances. If you describe that your acceptance was rescinded due to your Canadian bachelor's which they knew about ahead of time, it seems really unfair to hold it against you.