Help! Thinking about quitting ED scribing due to COVID-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IKARnAzA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm currently dealing with a very difficult personal decision. I've been scribing in the ED since January (will have 200 hours in the ED by the end of next week). When I submitted my AMCAS, I projected that I would have about 1100 hours scribing by July 2021. However, recent coronavirus cases in my state have been spiking to the point where it's progressed from me seeing 1 COVID patient every 2 shifts, to now seeing 3 COVID patients every single shift. Some of my providers are still making me come to see patients with them. I live with my parents who are both high-risk individuals for the disease (over 60's, cancer-survivors, one is a lifetime smoker). I feel incredibly selfish putting them both at risk and want to put in my two weeks. However, doing so will mean I have GROSSLY overestimated my projected hours (when I submitted, I thought the number of COVID cases would stay relatively low after lockdown ended, RIP). I recently interviewed and was accepted for a Pharmacy Tech job, but I don't know if I'm going to take it. Do you think I should quit my scribe job? Do you think adcoms will understand my position, or will they see it as a lack of commitment? I think it's worth noting that I already have 300 clinical volunteer scribing hours at a free clinic over 2 years. Thanks for any input, I'm really stressed out.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not adcom - just another student . So take my comment with a grain of salt , but if I was in your situation , I would quit and not look back . You hVe enough hours , and everything is too crazy now . Your parents health is more important than anything else .
if you do decide that you have to continue - change in the hospital or in the garage/car before coming home , use all PPE, and follow all precautions. Ppl do it , and they are fine .

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, I'm currently dealing with a very difficult personal decision. I've been scribing in the ED since January (will have 200 hours in the ED by the end of next week). When I submitted my AMCAS, I projected that I would have about 1100 hours scribing by July 2021. However, recent coronavirus cases in my state have been spiking to the point where it's progressed from me seeing 1 COVID patient every 2 shifts, to now seeing 3 COVID patients every single shift. Some of my providers are still making me come to see patients with them. I live with my parents who are both high-risk individuals for the disease (over 60's, cancer-survivors, one is a lifetime smoker). I feel incredibly selfish putting them both at risk and want to put in my two weeks. However, doing so will mean I have GROSSLY overestimated my projected hours (when I submitted, I thought the number of COVID cases would stay relatively low after lockdown ended, RIP). I recently interviewed and was accepted for a Pharmacy Tech job, but I don't know if I'm going to take it. Do you think I should quit my scribe job? Do you think adcoms will understand my position, or will they see it as a lack of commitment? I think it's worth noting that I already have 300 clinical volunteer scribing hours at a free clinic over 2 years. Thanks for any input, I'm really stressed out.
Your health comes first!!!

Don't risk your life for the sake of having a slightly better looking app. What's better: taking another gap year or being dead?

Or having dead parents

Sorry, I don’t mean to scare you.

Reactions: 2 users
Ad coms will understand that COVID undermined your projection. They will also understand and respect that you did not want to put your parents at risk. Quit and sleep easier tonight. There is already enough else to worry about during these strange times. Good luck!

Thanks for posting this, it makes me feel a little better too. I have a primary immunodeficiency and have felt selfish to put off my scribing job.

Reactions: 1 user
Any school that cares about this isn't a school you will want to spend your time at. Quit.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input everyone, definitely helped guide my decision. After talking to my chief scribe, I was able to take a leave of absence until conditions in the ED improve. In the mean time, I took the job as a Pharmacy Tech (may work both jobs at the same time if I return as a scribe).

Reactions: 1 users