Help! TUCOM-MI v. TUCOM-NV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chzpzza

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I really need your help! I am lucky enough to have acceptances to both Touro campuses, but I'm having a really hard time deciding between the two. I'm a California resident. Clinical training at the school is probably the most important factor for me.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I really need your help! I am lucky enough to have acceptances to both Touro campuses, but I'm having a really hard time deciding between the two. I'm a California resident. Clinical training at the school is probably the most important factor for me.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

i think if you're looking to stay in Cali for residency and practice, i would go to tucom-mi. many rotations are done in california and the match list is really strong especially those matching to cali programs. i dont know if you are interested in EM but there's an EM rotation at stanford that i know many tucom-mi students take advantage of..it has great reviews. tucom-nevada is also a great school and students there have roations all in one area..which is a big plus. i know for me, i want to ultimately to my residency and stay in illinois and i spoke with the clinicals director at tucom-mi and she said my entire fourth year can be done in chicago (she said students have done this) so that made me happy :) many schools have flexible 4th years anyway , but i am just sharing what my experience was. it ultimately will come down to where you feel most comfortable..either school will give you a solid education :luck:

Thanks! that's really helpful. Do you happen to have the match lists for either TUCOMs? Also, could you tell me who the clinical rotations director is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! that's really helpful. Do you happen to have the match lists for either TUCOMs? Also, could you tell me who the clinical rotations director is?

here's the link to the match lists for 2005 and 2006 for tucom-mi:
http://www.tucom.edu/admissions.htm

tucom in nevada hasn't had a graduating class yet so no match lists as of this time..i'm not sure when their first graduating class will occur.

just click General Match Information on the left-hand side. dr. sarah towne is the one i contacted for more info (she was also one of my interviewers funny enough!) here is a link to the clinical education site..it has e-mail contacts of the people you would want to talk to in cali:
http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=75&page=55

good luck!

TUNV's first graduating class will be in 2008.

and i agree with her, you have to go where you felt most comfortable. im happy here at TUNV. i can't imagine being in a place where im already unhappy about, and then having to deal with the stresses/loss of life that come with school...

It's mostly gut feelings for me. I was accepting into both schools like you but was only excited about NV. By only holding the NV spot I am anticipating starting school as opposed to being uncertain or hesitant which was the vibe I got from MI. Now I did not look at any match lists or statistics for my decision (which would not help for NV anyways as it is a new school) because I feel that the numbers only tell so much of a story and the rest is individual effort.

So let me ask you, does you gut feelings lead you to one school or another?? It is only 4 years and IF the biggest decision for you is where your clinical rotations are then you may want to stay in Cali. However if you do well throughout med school I believe you can match to a residency in a place you would want to go no matter which school you attend. I hope this helps!