help w/ recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scraders

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
all of the schools that i'm applying to (7 in all) want recommendations from my professors and an optometrist. should i ask each professors and the optometrist to write 7 recommendations for me? most of the schools have their own evaluation forms. i dont know what to do. i dont want to annoy the heck of each of my professors w/ 7 different forms. my school has a database for letters of evaluations, but i dont know how that could help me w/ my recommendations since each school has a different evaluation form. can someone give me some insights quickly? i want to begin applying to OSU soon. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I know when I was applying I had already asked for some of my recommendations and then received specific forms from the school. I sent the letter I had and asked those who I was receiving letters from to fill out part of the form that only required check marks and not more writing or time consumption.

Wow 7 schools! Forget the profs you definitely have your work cut out for you! j/k
Anyhoo, I only applied to three schools and decided that I would distribute my letters of recommendation(4) between two professors that knew me quite well. One prof wrote three for me (because one school needed two letters from profs), the other wrote one. I found that both were quite willing to write more if a need arose.
My advice to you would be to inform/ask the professor weeks in advance about the letters of recommendation. I gave both of my profs about three weeks notice just so that the letters didn't end up taking away valuable time from their work commitments. And also consider asking a couple of professors for letters, this way one isn't swamped with all the work.

Hope that helps :)