Help! Waitlisted at GWU!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pewl

The Dude Abides
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I just got a letter saying that I'm waitlisted at GW. I forgot what they said about their waitlist.

Is it a ranked waitlist? I was told that as much as 1/3 of their incoming class comes off of the waitlist. Is this true? Are they very selective when choosing people to be put on the waitlist as well?

Anyone else in the same boat as me? =P

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, same boat here. I'd like to know if it's ranked too so anyone with info, please help!

coco said:
Yep, same boat here. I'd like to know if it's ranked too so anyone with info, please help!

They got back to me pretty darn quickly too. They said 6-8 weeks, but today is the 5 week mark after my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pewl said:
Well I just got a letter saying that I'm waitlisted at GW. I forgot what they said about their waitlist.

Is it a ranked waitlist? I was told that as much as 1/3 of their incoming class comes off of the waitlist. Is this true? Are they very selective when choosing people to be put on the waitlist as well?

Anyone else in the same boat as me? =P

i don't believe that it's ranked, but they do split it up into "upper echelon" and some sort of a regular waitlist sometime in march. there was a very active gw waitlist thread last year. and, several posters who were placed in the upper echelon pool were in fact accepted. try searching for it. good luck (i'm on the waitlist too and i'm really hoping to get in too!)

medstylee said:
i don't believe that it's ranked, but they do split it up into "upper echelon" and some sort of a regular waitlist sometime in march. there was a very active gw waitlist thread last year. and, several posters who were placed in the upper echelon pool were in fact accepted. try searching for it. good luck (i'm on the waitlist too and i'm really hoping to get in too!)

anyone else also waitlisted at GW?

Pewl said:
anyone else also waitlisted at GW?

I will be in a week or two. I'll check back then. :)

i just got my waitlist letter yesterday- bummed-

when did you guys interview?

I interviewed end of Sept. and got the alternate list letter about 2 weeks ago.

i interviewed the 3rd week of oct., and got the alternate letter today. anyone out there know anything about their waitlist situation? the problem with searching is that sdn won't accept the two-letter "gw" as a search term.

i'm so bummed!!!!!!

tacrum43 said:
I will be in a week or two. I'll check back then. :)

Yep, got the alternate letter last Friday.

I've heard they have something called an upper echelon list of alternatives, but I'm not sure if they've made that yet. I meant to call them today, but didn't get to it. Does anybody know?

At least you guys got an interview. I got put on hold pre-interview. Hopefully most of you will get off the waitlist. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,
Just reading through the waitlist messages. Don't worry too much. An enormous number of our class was taken off of the waitlist. Not sure how many, but I'll ask the admissions office today.
If you are honestly interested in GW, then keep your file updated (LOI).
I've been here three months and wouldn't have chosen anywhere else. The school is excellent, (most of) the professors are great, and the opportunities are unmatched.
Drop me a PM with any specific questions.
Good luck!

nibrocli said:
i interviewed the 3rd week of oct., and got the alternate letter today. anyone out there know anything about their waitlist situation? the problem with searching is that sdn won't accept the two-letter "gw" as a search term.

i'm so bummed!!!!!!

I interviewed 10/28 and got wait listed or alternate listed today 12/6. But it wasn't upper echelon. damn it! and that other wait list thread from last year doesn't look promising. something about least amount of movement in the wait list ever. damn!

nibrocli: which interview day were you?

iceman0017 said:
I interviewed 10/28 and got wait listed or alternate listed today 12/6. But it wasn't upper echelon.

I called them today, and they told me they don't create the upper echelon list until sometime in the spring. No need to freak out yet.

it seems like gw is waitlisting an absolute ton of people this year. hopefully a lot of us will end up getting in in the spring! :thumbup:

medstylee said:
it seems like gw is waitlisting an absolute ton of people this year. hopefully a lot of us will end up getting in in the spring! :thumbup:
Why do you think there are a ton of people on the alternate/waitlist? I think there are a bunch of pre-interview holds, but relatively few post-interview waitlist folks. Correct me if I'm wrong.

it just seems like so few posters on this site has been accepted, yet there have been a ton of people interviewed. i know mdapplicants isn't the best representation, but there are only 2 acceptances on there out of 54 interviews. i realize some of those people haven't yet heard a decision or haven't yet interviewed, but that seems like a lot, still. i got kind of crazy about it one day and looked through many of those profiles, and it seems like many people were waitlisted post-interview. i remember reading in another thread that someone was told at her interview day that they are being very cautious about giving too many outright acceptances this year because they had a problem with overbooking last year. so, who knows. i'm just hoping i can get in off the alternate list - really great school.

medstylee said:
it just seems like so few posters on this site has been accepted, yet there have been a ton of people interviewed. i know mdapplicants isn't the best representation, but there are only 2 acceptances on there out of 54 interviews. i realize some of those people haven't yet heard a decision or haven't yet interviewed, but that seems like a lot, still. i got kind of crazy about it one day and looked through many of those profiles, and it seems like many people were waitlisted post-interview. i remember reading in another thread that someone was told at her interview day that they are being very cautious about giving too many outright acceptances this year because they had a problem with overbooking last year. so, who knows. i'm just hoping i can get in off the alternate list - really great school.

:laugh: Pretty obsessive-compulsive of you to dig through the profiles and do that. Very SDNish. I might have to go do that now myself just to verify the facts, I mean you might be trying to trick us. ;)

As for the over accepting thing last year, that seems to be true. I wonder if they'll accept the same number this year, or go back to 165. I think 177 or so matriculated last year. That would be nice, obviously, if they did keep the number higher. They must have enough lab space and everything, so why not? The AAMC is pushing for increased enrollment anyway.

tacrum43 said:
:laugh: Pretty obsessive-compulsive of you to dig through the profiles and do that. Very SDNish. I might have to go do that now myself just to verify the facts, I mean you might be trying to trick us. ;)

As for the over accepting thing last year, that seems to be true. I wonder if they'll accept the same number this year, or go back to 165. I think 177 or so matriculated last year. That would be nice, obviously, if they did keep the number higher. They must have enough lab space and everything, so why not? The AAMC is pushing for increased enrollment anyway.

oh, c'mon now, ted! me, trick you guys!? you know me better, i'm a nice guy. haha. anyway, yes, that would be nice, the greater enrollment. btw, i was at georgetown on monday, sitting in the fishbowl all day. i couldn't really pick out physios versus med students as i watched them walk by. oh well.

medstylee said:
oh, c'mon now, ted! me, trick you guys!? you know me better, i'm a nice guy. haha. anyway, yes, that would be nice, the greater enrollment. btw, i was at georgetown on monday, sitting in the fishbowl all day. i couldn't really pick out physios versus med students as i watched them walk by. oh well.

I don't know if many physios would be there since we only had one class that day (pathways) and we have the MA final tomorrow. Most of us, and probably the med students too, were holed up one place or another memorizing the finer points of the nephron.

How did your interview go? Do you think you would pick Georgetown over GW?

iceman0017 said:
that other wait list thread from last year doesn't look promising. something about least amount of movement in the wait list ever. damn!

I think that is the official waitlist after all the movement between March and the end of May. A lot of schools have told me they do not like to even call it a waitlist this early. Try to be optomistic! There is going to be a lot of movement after the May 15 deadline. Good luck!

medstylee said:

What??? There's another TED on sdn? I thought I was the only one.

*sniffle* So this is what it's like... when doves cry! *sob*

Pewl said:
What??? There's another TED on sdn? I thought I was the only one.

*sniffle* So this is what it's like... when doves cry! *sob*

A pain I know all too well. :laugh:

Actually I kinda like the name Ted. It's not common, but there's enough Teds out there that people know the name. I remember wanting one of those mini-license plates with my name on it as a kid and I couldn't ever find one, but that's about the only drawback I can think of. Well that and being called "Teddy Graham" in the first grade. :p

tacrum43 said:
A pain I know all too well. :laugh:

Actually I kinda like the name Ted. It's not common, but there's enough Teds out there that people know the name. I remember wanting one of those mini-license plates with my name on it as a kid and I couldn't ever find one, but that's about the only drawback I can think of. Well that and being called "Teddy Graham" in the first grade. :p

Dude, I feel you completely on the license plate thing. They had every other name that started with "T," such as Tom, Tim, and Todd, but never Ted! They even had a ton of BORT license plates.

Pewl said:
Dude, I feel you completely on the license plate thing. They had every other name that started with "T," such as Tom, Tim, and Todd, but never Ted! They even had a ton of BORT license plates.

BORT? Is that even a name?

:laugh: That is hilarious that you felt that way about the license plate thing, and knew what I was talking about. I wonder how much is in a name...

Our MCATs and GPAs are pretty similar too. Not to mention both being on the GWU waitlist. Of course, there is only room for one Ted, so I'm afraid we're going to have to duel to the death. ;)

Does anyone know how GWU's five-year med school plan works? Do you pay tuition for 4 years, or 5 (since year 1 is split in half).

Thanx

Angel

angel5 said:
Does anyone know how GWU's five-year med school plan works? Do you pay tuition for 4 years, or 5 (since year 1 is split in half).

Thanx

Angel

there's a five year program?

bumping since I am now an addition to the growing number of alternates. has anyone heard lately?

iceman0017 said:
]that other wait list thread from last year doesn't look promising. something about least amount of movement in the wait list ever. damn!

iceman0017 - GW's waitlist didn't move a bunch last year cause they way over accepted. I've talked with the dean and she has said that the committee is being really wary this year in their offering of acceptances. So I think that this year will be completely different in terms of waitlist movement. (at least i hope so!!)

waitman192 said:
bumping since I am now an addition to the growing number of alternates. has anyone heard lately?

iceman0017 - GW's waitlist didn't move a bunch last year cause they way over accepted. I've talked with the dean and she has said that the committee is being really wary this year in their offering of acceptances. So I think that this year will be completely different in terms of waitlist movement. (at least i hope so!!)

when did you interview? i was on dec. 9th, so i wanted to see if i should be expecting anything

thanks

waitman192 said:

Good bumping. I missed this thread.

I'm kind of undecided about the alternate list thing. Sometimes I think "Yay, I still have a good chance" and other times I think "It would be nice if they just accepted more people off the bat with no waitlist so that way you just know and don't have to wait like half a year wondering". But then again, sometimes suspense can be fun. For someone who isn't even a libra, I'm kind of undecided about how I feel about this, don't you think? :laugh:

C.P. Jones said:
when did you interview? i was on dec. 9th, so i wanted to see if i should be expecting anything

thanks

cp - i interviewed on the day before you. so i guess you should be hearing relatively soon.

(remember that monday is holiday though, so no mail -- im impatiently waiting on my WVU, and someone was nice enough to point that out to me, so I thought I would pay the favor forward)

I actually interviewed at the beginning of decemer, too. They recently sent me an email asking for my fall 2005 science grades (probably because without these courses I would'nt have met pre-med requirements). So does anyone know if this probably means it will be awhile before I receive any sort of decision from GWU?

wugsy said:
I actually interviewed at the beginning of decemer, too. They recently sent me an email asking for my fall 2005 science grades (probably because without these courses I would'nt have met pre-med requirements). So does anyone know if this probably means it will be awhile before I receive any sort of decision from GWU?

i'm inclined to say no. i got an email in december requesting information, and i mailed it the day after christmas. I had delivery confirmation on it, and it didn't get delivered until Friday (1/6) -- way too long imo. My alternate letter was dated 1/10 and I got it today (1/14)

of course every application is different....

hope it helps

waitman192 said:
cp - i interviewed on the day before you. so i guess you should be hearing relatively soon.

(remember that monday is holiday though, so no mail -- im impatiently waiting on my WVU, and someone was nice enough to point that out to me, so I thought I would pay the favor forward)

gasp! thanks waitman....eeeeekkkk, i'm so nervous

I sent GW my fall quarter transcript. They want you to update them if you're on the waitlist.

I interviewed on Nov 14th but have yet to hear from them. Do they only inform via snail-mail? This is my year off, so even I got requests for more info from them post-interview (for my activities during the summer), only they told me I could e-mail my response to them. Hopefully, I'll be hearing something this week, cuz I've hit the 8 week mark already. Good luck to those who are also waiting.

G-Man82 said:
I interviewed on Nov 14th but have yet to hear from them. Do they only inform via snail-mail? This is my year off, so even I got requests for more info from them post-interview (for my activities during the summer), only they told me I could e-mail my response to them. Hopefully, I'll be hearing something this week, cuz I've hit the 8 week mark already. Good luck to those who are also waiting.

yeah... only snail mail. and i would think you would hear something really soon. i would try calling if you haven't heard by the end of this week. i feel like they are a little bit faster than the 8 week turnaround

-waitman

Bah, stupid GWU

hey! They must have sent out another round of letters! I got mine today! :)

wistarrat said:
hey! They must have sent out another round of letters! I got mine today! :)

a waitlist? or an acceptance....you seem way too excited for a waitlist, so i want to say congrats....but i'm not sure

I interviewed back on 11/18 and still haven't heard anything (9 weeks!) so I gave them a call on Tuesday. I was told that I should get something in the mail within 7 days... (today is day number 4... mail comes in an hour!) I can't take the waiting anymore!

i interviewed on december 1st and also have not heard anything. i called a week ago and they had told me that i should hear within the next two weeks and definitely in 3 weeks. so one is down and i'm checking my mail compulsively. someone had said they interviewed on the 5th or something and got waitlisted? has anyone gotten in or received other news who has interviewed around the same time. ahhhh this school is killing me! i want to go there! are any of you guys also considering georgetown? anyone have a georgetown interview coming up?

jpwinsmcgee said:
i interviewed on december 1st and also have not heard anything. i called a week ago and they had told me that i should hear within the next two weeks and definitely in 3 weeks. so one is down and i'm checking my mail compulsively. someone had said they interviewed on the 5th or something and got waitlisted? has anyone gotten in or received other news who has interviewed around the same time. ahhhh this school is killing me! i want to go there! are any of you guys also considering georgetown? anyone have a georgetown interview coming up?

jp - gwu=george washington university

there are a couple threads out there on gtown that i've been reading (though i was rejected) and i think i saw that someone who interviewed in early december heard this past week.

waitman192 said:
jp - gwu=george washington university

there are a couple threads out there on gtown that i've been reading (though i was rejected) and i think i saw that someone who interviewed in early december heard this past week.

hey waitman, no need to be harsh. i know that gwu is george washington. that's where i'm waiting to hear from. i want to go to gw. don't be so rude about it. and i didn't know that you weren't allowed to mention another school in this thread. pardon my sdn ignorance...

now, can anyone answer my questions about gw? anyone else hear who interviewed around the end of november or early december?

jpwinsmcgee said:
hey waitman, no need to be harsh. i know that gwu is george washington. that's where i'm waiting to hear from. i want to go to gw. don't be so rude about it. and i didn't know that you weren't allowed to mention another school in this thread. pardon my sdn ignorance...

now, can anyone answer my questions about gw? anyone else hear who interviewed around the end of november or early december?

sorry jp, i didnt mean for it to come across like that... i just wanted to make sure there wasn't any confusion.

i interviewed at the beginning of december and heard back last week (alternate). good luck to you... hope you get better news than me!!

-waitman

waitman192 said:
sorry jp, i didnt mean for it to come across like that... i just wanted to make sure there wasn't any confusion.

i interviewed at the beginning of december and heard back last week (alternate). good luck to you... hope you get better news than me!!

-waitman

sorry if i interpreted it worse than how you meant it. good luck with the schools. anyone else interview around that time?

jpwinsmcgee said:
sorry if i interpreted it worse than how you meant it. good luck with the schools. anyone else interview around that time?

So I haven't checked this site in a REALLY long time...i was traumatized with my 6-waitlist fiasco last year...that I really just stayed away from SDN.

Anyway, JP, I interviewed on Dec 1st too, just called the office yesterday - the kind lady told me that they just sent out a "bulk" of mail. Anyway, she checked my status and told me that I should be getting something this week. So I'm holding my breath. GWU is my top choice - I would coat my face with resin and drag it through two miles of broken glass to get into that school. And yeah, like one poster mentioned earlier, they overbooked the class last year by 20 or so students, so I assume that they will be very very conservative in handing out acceptances this year. Anyway, JP, best of luck hope to see you at GW next year.

I interviewed the second week of December. I called the admissions office last week asking if they'd received my fall term grades. They told me they couldn't give me an answer because my file was in the hands of the admissions committee. I called yesterday and they gave me the same response but told me I shouldn't worry about the issue because it wouldn't impact the decision. Since my file is still in the hands of the admissions committe, does this means it could be awhile before I hear a response?