help wanted!! UNT clinical psychology??? anyone??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yazzmin841

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I got an offer from UNT clinical psychology program and I also got an offer from UTSW neuroscience PhD. It is really hard for me to decide because I want clinical psychology more but UTSW has a better reputation. Is there anyone going to UNT, could you share your experiences about the program and the reputation of the school? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
I got an offer from UNT clinical psychology program and I also got an offer from UTSW neuroscience PhD. It is really hard for me to decide because I want clinical psychology more but UTSW has a better reputation. Is there anyone going to UNT, could you share your experiences about the program and the reputation of the school? Thanks!

This is not at all an answer to your question, as I know nothing about either school. But I will put in my two cents for doing what you want to do over going to a school based on the reputation. There was a pretty long thread on this recently about going with your gut vs. going to a school with a better rep. Gut wins, in my book. Congrats and best of luck either way!

Hi,
I've actually really wanted to go to UNT for doctorate program in Clinical. I'm wondering if you can how you nailed the admission process and the interview. Did you complete a MA/MS before applying for the doctorate program, or are you going straight BA to doctorate?

I'm worried about my GPA, mine's only a 3.2. I'm taking GRE at the end of this month, so I'm freaking out. Did you have an amazing GPA and high GRE?

And my last question ( sorry for bugging you), what can I expect from the interview?

Thanks!!! any feedback is appreciated

Nicki

Hi,
I've actually really wanted to go to UNT for doctorate program in Clinical. I'm wondering if you can how you nailed the admission process and the interview. Did you complete a MA/MS before applying for the doctorate program, or are you going straight BA to doctorate?

I'm worried about my GPA, mine's only a 3.2. I'm taking GRE at the end of this month, so I'm freaking out. Did you have an amazing GPA and high GRE?

And my last question ( sorry for bugging you), what can I expect from the interview?

Thanks!!! any feedback is appreciated

Nicki
I interviewed there this past February. There were 166 applicants and 25 of us were invited to interview. I had a 4.0 in undergrad and a 1290 GRE score. It seemed like most everyone had scores closer to 1400. All of the people who were there on my interview day were fresh out of undergrad or had taken a couple years off for research. No one had a masters. The program seems to favor people who don't have any graduate credits.

Research experience is key. It's a very competitive and research-heavy program. If you don't have at least a year of research experience, an honor's thesis, and presentations or publications, you are unlikely to be considered. Don't let that get you down though. There are always exceptions, especially if you really impress a professor beforehand.

The other key component is selecting a professor whose research matches your own interests. The program is not "officially" a mentor-model program but it functions like one. Get in contact with someone who you would like to work with early on in the process and get your name out there (without being bothersome). Faculty members select on their own who they want to interview. If your name doesn't pop out, your file will get overlooked. I noticed that favoritism seems to play into it a bit. Some professors seemed to know who they were going to select before the interviews even started. I learned this and other "insider information" because I became very close with one of the professors working there.

We were invited to go out with the graduate students the night before interviews and then found out the next morning that they would actually be interviewing us. Their perception of you matters because they give you a score during interviews that factors into your overall score. You must be on the graduate students' good side. They will constantly be watching you.

The interview itself involved 2 group sessions with all of the faculty, 2 group sessions with a couple of graduate students, and 2 individual sessions with faculty members. It was a long, all-day, exhausting process. I loved the program but unfortunately was not extended an offer. Thankfully, I ended up getting into another program, which I'm very happy with.

Good luck with the GRE and the application process! I know it's stressful but you'll get through it. Remember to apply multiple programs. I would recommend applying to at least 8. It really is a chance game and the more you apply to, the more likely you are to get an offer. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
I applied but didn't get an interview. I'm so helpful, I know ;)