Help: What Should I Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorIn10Years

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am a non-trad with a history of bad grades and gap years and school transfers... I am in a dilemma right now and would appreciate your valuable feedback.

I first attended City College A, for two semesters. Undeclared major, GPA 3.5, 18 credits.

Then I transferred to City College B because it was much closer to my house and easier to commute to. But I went through some personal issues including depression and PTSD, and here, my GPA (just from College B, not combined with A) was 1.179 with 34 attempted credits and 13 earned.

To take care of myself, I took a break from school for 2 years.

Then I transferred to City Community College C in Fall 2015. I achieved a 4.0 for two semesters, earning 27 credits.

Because I need to complete a Bachelor's degree, I have transferred back to City College A as a readmitted student for this upcoming semester, Fall 2016.

Given my history from College B, even if I achieve a 4.0 for the rest of my undergraduate career, I cannot bring my overall GPA above a 3.2. Same goes for my sGPA.

This is my dilemma: I need to declare a major this upcoming semester. I have a lot of psychology credits, and if I decide to major in psychology, I will be done with undergrad in 2 years max. Then I will do post-bacc for the prerequisite courses.

Another option is to major in biology, which will take 3 years. I will apply to medical schools, but if I don't get in (which seems likely), I will enroll in a special masters program and try again.

I am having this dilemma because although I know that majoring in biology would probably benefit me more (by both showing med schools I'm capable of handling upper level courses, and preparing me for med school science classes) - if I need to do a post-bacc program regardless, maybe it will be better to go the less time-consuming, less challenging way? I would like to know what you think. Please help and thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

If I am hearing you correctly, majoring in biology would give you more undergrad credits. So... more opportunities to bring up that GPA, right? Once you graduate, it's harder to correct the damage.

You can always look into grade replacement and apply DO, or there are some schools like Wayne State that will accept your post bac GPA if >20 credits, if I remember correctly.

Then again, I don't know anything. I just do a lot of fact gathering on these forums. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will respond!