Help! Will an incomplete transcript affect my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rouleaux82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, wondering if someone out there could listen to my sad story and help.

To start, my application has been submitted and includes everything except the Dean's Letter. When I was applying, I did not have a grade for an outpatient medicine clerkship (required 3rd year class) and did not want to wait to get that grade so my transcript was scanned into ERAS without a grade for that elective.

The reason why the grade was delayed is because I had to take this clerkship late this year, due to a family situation (i.e. non-academic) that caused me to delay starting 3rd year. Instead of a grade, it said "ET" which I think means extension. I thought this was okay, and sent it in. I subsequently found out that I passed, but my transcript on ERAS is missing this pass grade.

For some reason or another, I have not been getting interviews at the places I wanted. I haven't gotten rejections either - just an empty inbox. I believe I have a strong application, no red flags, solid steps, few honors, etc.

Does having an incomplete transcript hurt me? Does taking time off for person/family issues affect me (I explained it on ERAS)? How should I follow this up? Can I resend a new transcript now that my outpatient medicine grade is available?

Thanks, any help/thoughts would be much appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, wondering if someone out there could listen to my sad story and help.

To start, my application has been submitted and includes everything except the Dean's Letter. When I was applying, I did not have a grade for an outpatient medicine clerkship (required 3rd year class) and did not want to wait to get that grade so my transcript was scanned into ERAS without a grade for that elective.

The reason why the grade was delayed is because I had to take this clerkship late this year, due to a family situation (i.e. non-academic) that caused me to delay starting 3rd year. Instead of a grade, it said "ET" which I think means extension. I thought this was okay, and sent it in. I subsequently found out that I passed, but my transcript on ERAS is missing this pass grade.

For some reason or another, I have not been getting interviews at the places I wanted. I haven't gotten rejections either - just an empty inbox. I believe I have a strong application, no red flags, solid steps, few honors, etc.

Does having an incomplete transcript hurt me? Does taking time off for person/family issues affect me (I explained it on ERAS)? How should I follow this up? Can I resend a new transcript now that my outpatient medicine grade is available?

Thanks, any help/thoughts would be much appreciated!!!

Just resend your transcript, ERAS will upload it. The programs will see that there something new for your application available and re-download it. They will note the new grade and disregard your old transcript. I have a few buddies that have done this and it is nothing to worry about.

agree with the above advice. it may be the time off that is acting as a "red flag", or it may be nothing since it's still early in the process. the pd at my school (a top 10) mentioned that invites are not necessarily given out in order of "strongest candidate first" - there's regional factors and obviously order of receiving applications, etc. so just because you haven't gotten the invites yet, doesn't mean you aren't going to be getting them soon...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a personal thought--I'm not sure, but to be honest with you..i don't think it should greatly affect you from getting an interview if everything else in your apps looks great. Though internal medicine is a great field, it's by no means ultra competitive as most US grads end up matching. I have definitely gotten an interview at some pretty great places even prior to the uploading of my transcript. Med schools have been such a stressful process already..and you have worked over 3 years to building your overall application! There's no need to stress now...i'm sure those great interviews will start rollin' in.

My personal process is this:

If someone has an Incomplete (or similar) on their transcript, I search through the rest of the application to see if I can figure out why.
If not, I hold until the MSPE comes out, and see if that tells me why.
If not, I call the dean's office and see if that tells me why.

Although I can only speak for myself, this may explain the lack of interview invites. I agree with all of the posters above: if the incomplete is cleared from your transcript, you should ask your school to upload it again.

Thank you all for the replies! I will take the advice you all have given and ask my school to send in a new transcript.