Help with applying to SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juca67

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying for an SMP within the next few months. I have a c3.35, s3.2, mcat 27. I will be retaking my mcat in the end of march. My question is: will smp admissions immediately dismiss me b/c of my 27, wait for my 2nd mcat score, or make a decision based on my current stats?

Members don't see this ad.

d) all of the above depending on the program....

I think its more likely they will consider your application regardless of your MCAT score. A good MCAT score might get you into a better SMP but other than that, your current situation won't harm your app chances

thanks! i was thinking of applying to georgetown, bu, ucinn, tufts. i know most of these smps have mcat cutoffs that are higher than 27. how strict are they with that?

also, if i do get in to an smp, how long do they usually give you before you need to make a deposit?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! i was thinking of applying to georgetown, bu, ucinn, tufts. i know most of these smps have mcat cutoffs that are higher than 27. how strict are they with that?

also, if i do get in to an smp, how long do they usually give you before you need to make a deposit?

Cutoffs are usually not strict, but you have to give them a compelling reason to take you. If they require a deposit (some don't), its not until May i believe

You have to get that 27 up. While most smps are kind of lax on their cut offs they are not doing you a favor if they let you into the smp with a 27 as the med school will not accept you with a sub 30 score.U Cinni has become a very competitive smp they will reject you if your score is under 29. GTU and BU will most likely also reject you. GTU and U Cinni may wait for a new score but again not doing you any favors as this is rolling admissions and seats fill up

Thanks. I'm definitely gonna retake the mcat and shoot for 30+. I probably wont even go the smp route if I can't pull up my mcat because it becomes too big of a risk at that point. That being said, granted I do get over a 30, will taking the march mcat be too late to give me a good shot at the above smps, as opposed to retaking in january?

Thanks. I'm definitely gonna retake the mcat and shoot for 30+. I probably wont even go the smp route if I can't pull up my mcat because it becomes too big of a risk at that point. That being said, granted I do get over a 30, will taking the march mcat be too late to give me a good shot at the above smps, as opposed to retaking in january?

By march you'll be hosed for those schools. Either take a year off or do a little post bacc work. Don't rush your MCAT. If you really need an smp now I recommend MWU-IL (CCOM) MA program or KCUMB Masters in biomed. Both programs are well regarded by Allo and Osteo medical school alike and it give you a locked in interview at those schools so you will have a DO school to fall back on without looking like you are using it as a fall back. These program are not too difficult and I have never heard a single regret about them. Feel free to look into them.

I'm actually going to go against what has been said. If you're GPA is decent (and i can see that it is, at least for an smp) and you have med school-level ECs and LORs, I'd say you could apply to SMPs with a 27. Yes, GT and UC may waitlist you, but you have a good shot at the rest. I know people at BU with similar stats.

That being said, you will definitely need a retake at some point. A 27 and a low gpa will (almost always) not work. You should be shooting for around a 33, because keep in mind that a 30 is still below average for med school matriculants.