Help with choosing my Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member1997

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 8 letters of recommendation, but I'm unsure of how many/which ones I should send out. If I could get any insight I'd really appreciate it.

1. Volunteer Coordinator - I volunteered at an emergency department of a local hospital for over 2 years. She sent me her letter before sending it to Interfolio. It basically sums up that I am customer service oriented, friendly, and helpful. It then talks about my duties and such. Honestly doesn't have too much depth to it.

2. Chapter president of my fraternity - One of the best leaders I've ever met and a good friend of mine. He's a Lt. in the Marine Corp now. I was on the executive board of my fraternity as the scholarship chair and was a recruitment chair and I think these would be prime examples for explaining my leadership abilities.

3. Science professor/PI - He taught the core curriculum biochemistry course for my major (I got an A-) and is the PI of the lab.

4. Science professor: Did an honors project for his class for an honors program at my university. His class is an advanced Molecular biology course (Got an A in the course)

5. Dr. at Rush University Medical Center: Shadowed him for 18 hours and he offered to write an LOR for me. Planning on using his letter when I apply to Rush.

6. Dr. at Cincinnati Children's Hospital: This doctor is a pediatric cardiologist and the director of two of the major labs at the hospital. I shadowed him for about 25 hours and am friends with his son, so I just stayed at his house over the course of those two days

7. Coordinator for the Molecular Biology Honors Program at my school: I have a very good relationship with her as she helped me transition from a community college (first two years of undergrad) to the university. I also took on the honors program even though she said it might be a lot if I plan on graduating in two years since it is a 3 year program. I ended up graduating with a 4.0 GPA and completed the program in 2 years so I feel like this shows that I am eager and motivated to succeed.

8. Post doc of the same lab as number 3: I worked with this post doc every time I was in the lab and I think he would be able to explain both my abilities in research as well as my pre-professional competencies.

The letters I know I want: 2, 3, 4, 8. I'm not sure how many more letters I should add or which ones I should pick from here. I know I don't have a non-science professor LOR but it's because I went to a community college my first two years where I took most of my gen eds. I took a few gen ends at the 4 year school but they were in large lecture halls of over 300 students so I feel like it wouldn't be too helpful to get one. I know this may seem very over the top, but I would really appreciate any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Just make sure they are recent (dated within 2 yrs [school specific]). I have to go letter update hunting, and it is a pain.

I don't think you have a non-science professor LOR. I know some schools require that if you don't have a committee.
I have the same issue.

Last edited: