Help with deciding schools

mgether36

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just would like some input on the schools that I have decided to apply to. I'm planning on submitting my application tonight or tomorrow.

Here are my credentials:

GPA: 3.96
DAT: 22 AA, 24 TS, 23 PAT, 21 RC, 23 BIO, 28 GC, 21 OC, 19 QR

I have about 100 hours of shadowing from 8 separate dentists. I am also involved in music at research an my university.

The schools that I have decided to apply to are:
UCLA
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
NYU
University of Pittsburgh
Marquette
Harvard

I know that some of these schools are really difficult to get into. Should I be concerned with only applying to 7? Any advice on the schools that I have decided to apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! You posted this in the wrong forum and will probably get better responses if you move it to the "pre-dental" forum.

However, you are set. 7 schools should be plenty. Just practice your interview skills, and all will be well! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to UCONN...it's basically harvard without the price and mandatory research...and it has a ton of clinical instruction hours.

it's pass fail, has medical school for first two years, lots of clinical hours, and it's cheap by giving you in state tuition after your first year

add UC san francisco while you're at it...maybe UNC...add Penn as well b/c you might get the dean's scholarship...keep NYU b/c they give scholarships too...if you've got pricey schools on there, you should add columbia...pass fail or some variant of it is going to relieve a lot of stress from the next four years...if you've got exams and subjective practicals every week, do you really want to stress about every single point? it can get incredible stressful and frustrating and a lot of times, the difference between an A and a B is just luck. depending on your personality, this kind of stuff can keep you up at night.

why would you want to go to Minnesota??

Last edited:
Go to UCONN...it's basically harvard without the price and mandatory research...and it has a ton of clinical instruction hours.

it's pass fail, has medical school for first two years, lots of clinical hours, and it's cheap by giving you in state tuition after your first year

add UC san francisco while you're at it...maybe UNC...add Penn as well b/c you might get the dean's scholarship...keep NYU b/c they give scholarships too...if you've got pricey schools on there, you should add columbia...pass fail or some variant of it is going to relieve a lot of stress from the next four years...if you've got exams and subjective practicals every week, do you really want to stress about every single point? it can get incredible stressful and frustrating and a lot of times, the difference between an A and a B is just luck. depending on your personality, this kind of stuff can keep you up at night.

why would you want to go to Minnesota??

i was considering minnesota because it was close to home.

I was looking at uconn but they only accept 10% of their students from out of state. So I didn't even bother applying :/