Ontario Dental Schools 2017-2018

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dontknowdontcare

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

So I will most likely be applying for Ontario dental schools (UofT & Western) next year but I have some concerns over my marks. The thing is, I hear that many graduate schools like seeing a gradual rise in the student's grade point average (GPA) as they progress through their undergraduate programs but I was wondering how much of a deciding factor this is. For me, I started off first year with considerably high marks with my average being about 91% but it has been fluctuating downwards these past few years so that I ended up my third year (which I just completed) with an 88%. Any insight would be very much appreciated. Also, please let me know whether my average would would be considered competitive enough for dentistry school in Ontario.
 
I think the "gradual rise in GPA" is a pretty tiny factor. Your overall GPA is what really matters (or whatever GPA system the school uses, for example UofT let's you drop your lowest year if you've completed a 4 year degree provided your lowest year wasn't your most recent). I think the overall trend in your grades might matter if you're tied for one of the last few spots, but I suspect it that it won't matter in most cases.

Having an average between 88-91 would likely get you an interview, provided you wrote a fairly strong DAT.