May 2, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi guys,

So I will most likely be applying for Ontario dental schools (UofT & Western) next year but I have some concerns over my marks. The thing is, I hear that many graduate schools like seeing a gradual rise in the student's grade point average (GPA) as they progress through their undergraduate programs but I was wondering how much of a deciding factor this is. For me, I started off first year with considerably high marks with my average being about 91% but it has been fluctuating downwards these past few years so that I ended up my third year (which I just completed) with an 88%. Any insight would be very much appreciated. Also, please let me know whether my average would would be considered competitive enough for dentistry school in Ontario.

emcatOD

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2017
I think the "gradual rise in GPA" is a pretty tiny factor. Your overall GPA is what really matters (or whatever GPA system the school uses, for example UofT let's you drop your lowest year if you've completed a 4 year degree provided your lowest year wasn't your most recent). I think the overall trend in your grades might matter if you're tied for one of the last few spots, but I suspect it that it won't matter in most cases.

Having an average between 88-91 would likely get you an interview, provided you wrote a fairly strong DAT.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.