Help with deciding which interviews to go on

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wamcp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may have underestimated the number of invites i would receive. I have several top tier reach programs yet to hear back from, but need input on which of thr following academic mid tier progs to interview at.

It is hard for me to decide what to cancel when I do not have much knowledge of what the programs are like without going to the interview! I have no geographic preference, either Midwest, South, East coast, maybe would prefer bigger cities though.
I am aiming to go on 10 to 14 mid tier programs, in addition to any top tier i already have or hopefully get.

Cincinnati
OSU
CWRU
VCU
UVA
Cleveland Clinic
Loyola
UIC
MCW
UW madison
Rochester
NSH-LIJ
Tufts
Umass
Creighton
Georgetown
Tulane
SLU
Iowa Univ
Indiana Univ
Penn state hershey
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Rutgers
RWJ
UT HSCSA
UT MB
Emory

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
CWRU
UVA
Cleveland Clinic
UW madison
Tufts
Georgetown
Iowa Univ
Indiana Univ
Thomas Jefferson
RWJ
Emory

This is where my money would be if I were in your shoes. I interviewed at a couple of them last year and I thought they were solid places.

Pick some locations you'd like to live. Go there.

Though if I were you, I'd make sure not to miss out on Wisconsin, Virginia, and VCU

Members don't see this ad :)
I second JDH's picks:
Mine from that list would be Wisconsin, VCU, UVA, Iowa, Indiana, and Emory.
Good luck.

Hello, right now Indiana University is the only program I'm trying to decide if I should go on to an interview there. I guess my question is, what makes this program worth going? Its board pass rate has been dropping, from 94% 6 years ago to 80% last year(makes me worried about the teaching quality). I'm interested in GI > H/O. Their GI match is not impressive at all. H/O match is good although half of the matched people are chiefs(I'm not sure if that's the norm in H/O). There are a lot of IMGs too. The city itself doesn't seem to be a plus. But a lot of people on SDN like this program. Maybe I'm missing something here. I have limited money and am not sure if I should spend it on this program. Could someone shine a light? Thanks!

Hello, right now Indiana University is the only program I'm trying to decide if I should go on to an interview there. I guess my question is, what makes this program worth going? Its board pass rate has been dropping, from 94% 6 years ago to 80% last year(makes me worried about the teaching quality). I'm interested in GI > H/O. Their GI match is not impressive at all. H/O match is good although half of the matched people are chiefs(I'm not sure if that's the norm in H/O). There are a lot of IMGs too. The city itself doesn't seem to be a plus. But a lot of people on SDN like this program. Maybe I'm missing something here. I have limited money and am not sure if I should spend it on this program. Could someone shine a light? Thanks!

Passing boards has very little to do with teaching and almost everything to do with studying for it appropriately.

All of *your* "markers" for what actually makes a "good program" are crap. It's got a university hospital, a VA, and a County spot. If you are unable to come out of that kind of set up without being a solid basically trained internist, you are an idiot. And that is what makes it good. You make of residency what YOU put into it.

However based on your borderline elitist whining, I don't think the place would be a good match for you and you should skip it.

I may have underestimated the number of invites i would receive. I have several top tier reach programs yet to hear back from, but need input on which of thr following academic mid tier progs to interview at.

It is hard for me to decide what to cancel when I do not have much knowledge of what the programs are like without going to the interview! I have no geographic preference, either Midwest, South, East coast, maybe would prefer bigger cities though.
I am aiming to go on 10 to 14 mid tier programs, in addition to any top tier i already have or hopefully get.

Cincinnati
OSU
CWRU
VCU
UVA
Cleveland Clinic
Loyola
UIC
MCW
UW madison
Rochester
NSH-LIJ
Tufts
Umass
Creighton
Georgetown
Tulane
SLU
Iowa Univ
Indiana Univ
Penn state hershey
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Rutgers
RWJ
UT HSCSA
UT MB
Emory

I would go to RWJ (Rutgers), Emory, Penn State, Thomas Jefferson, Georgetown, Iowa.

The ones I would recommend going on:
Emory
Tufts
Wisconsin
UVA
VCU

I am +/- about Case and Georgetown.

CCF's IM program isn't that strong. It's fellowships are much stronger. I have been grossly underwhelmed by the IM dept and the other IM consultants (renal, endo etc) at CCF.

Hi, everyone, first-time posting....
Wanted some input on which interviews to go on! I'm pretty excited about a lot of these programs, but I can't afford to go on all of them. Let's say, I can go on about half out of the ones listed...Which ones are worth it? Listing them randomly:

Georgetown, Tufts, NYU, BUMC, GW, UCLA, Hopkins-Bayview, Mt. Sinai, University of S Cali, Cornell, UMaryland, VCU, OHSU, Brown, UC Davis

Here are few things about me (I feel like I'm making an online dating profile, or something): I'm young and single, and I want my co-residents to be young, single, fun, and really close-knit. I want a fairly academic place because I want to do a competitive fellowship, but I don't want somewhere uptight or too research-heavy....but I do want to be around really bright residents and really top-notch. I like the sun. I like cities. I like having independence on the floors, really strong clinical training, with lots of pathology.

I don't know if this has been a dumb post....I reiterate, first-time posting

Wanted some input on which interviews to go on! I'm pretty excited about a lot of these programs, but I can't afford to go on all of them. Let's say, I can go on about half out of the ones listed...Which ones are worth it? Listing them randomly:

Georgetown, Tufts, NYU, BUMC, GW, UCLA, Hopkins-Bayview, Mt. Sinai, University of S Cali, Cornell, UMaryland, VCU, OHSU, Brown, UC Davis

Here are few things about me (I feel like I'm making an online dating profile, or something): I'm young and single, and I want my co-residents to be young, single, fun, and really close-knit. I want a fairly academic place because I want to do a competitive fellowship, but I don't want somewhere uptight or too research-heavy....but I do want to be around really bright residents and really top-notch. I like the sun. I like cities. I like having independence on the floors, really strong clinical training, with lots of pathology.

NYU, UCLA, Mt Sinai, Cornell, OHSU, UMd

i disregarded your preferences, but just gave which interviews to attend by my perceived strength/opinion

NYU, UCLA, MSSM, Cornell, USC, UMd, Bayview, OHSU

These programs aren't, on the whole, "better" than the ones I didn't recommend. But if I were in your shoes, these are the ones I'd go to.

based on your preferences (sans the sun) in my experience NYU would fit quite nicely for you.

wanted to know people's opinions on going to an interview at:
georgetown vs. george washington, tufts vs. brown, vcu vs. uva
or any of them vs. any of them

Members don't see this ad :)
haha b/c i don't want to? the premise is that i don't go on all of them

gotcha....
i have several other programs that i'm really excited about, but these programs are more ho-hum to me...i want to go to some of them b/c i want more exposure and also to have enough places to rank when it comes time, but i don't want to go to all of them. i want to do a fellowship, location is not too big a deal but i do like having stuff to do, and things like teaching and camaraderie among residents are more important to me than name-brand or research grant money

gotcha....
i have several other programs that i'm really excited about, but these programs are more ho-hum to me...i want to go to some of them b/c i want more exposure and also to have enough places to rank when it comes time, but i don't want to go to all of them. i want to do a fellowship, location is not too big a deal but i do like having stuff to do, and things like teaching and camaraderie among residents are more important to me than name-brand or research grant money

IMHO

Brown
VCU
UVA

Though the one to really not miss out on is UVA

No I think that was a very reasonable first post.

Given the fact that you are single and want to be in a city:
- UCLA, NYU, Mt Sinai, Cornell, OHSU.
- UVA is in a beautiful area of Virginia, in a great small city with a lot of beautiful men and women (whatever you're into)

A few thoughts:
1) You couldn't pay me enough money to live in Manhattan as a resident or fellow. The cost of living is too high and it is a pain in the ass to deal with so many people all the time yet not have enough time to enjoy the things that make the city fun to live in. Lot's of people love it but I would gouge my eyes out with a spoon.

2) Cali would be nice. Perhaps UCD and USC should be included. Depends on how close you are to these places. Wouldn't fly across the country for UCD and USC.

3) Bayview is a strong community program with an exceptional match list but Baltimore kinda sucks balls. I lived there for 3 years.

4) I think VCU is a gem that is often overlooked but for a young single person, Richmond is perhaps not the best city. There are a lot of married people and not so easy of a dating scene. I love Richmond and am a Richmond native, went there for med school and will be going back but not the best place to be if you are single. As for VCU, think the training is good but often overlooked for fellowship placement.

OSU, Indiana, Iowa, VCU, UVa, Emory, Wisconsin, RWJ, Jefferson, Tufts

Thanks for the help everyone. So whats with all the love for VCU? Any particular thing in their program that makes them so attractive?

Thanks for the help everyone. So whats with all the love for VCU? Any particular thing in their program that makes them so attractive?

It is a program that has strong clinical training. It luckily has a very indigent population and takes care of more than half of Virginia's uninsured. Just like most large hospitals that take care of indigent patients, it gets to see the natural history of disease. It also has a handful of master clinicians who are very involved in teaching.

Furthermore, MCV has been around for 175 years and has a tradition of training doctors rather than researchers. As midtier programs go, it is a good one if you want to be a practicing doctor. The one unfortunate thing is while it is well known in Virginia, Maryland and NC, outside of the region it is largely unknown. So, it somewhat suffers in terms of fellowship placement. If you are looking to be a solid doctor, this place is probably a good one. If you are looking only to get to the next level and want to ride on a name, consider another program.

Have a few mid-tier programs I could use some advice on. Just trying to weigh city vs. program pros and cons. Here they are:

Christiana Care - Newark, DE
Univ of Massachusetts - Worcester, MA
UConn - Farmington, CT
UPMC Mercy - Pittsburgh, PA
Rutgers-New Jersey - Newark, NJ
Rutgers - RWJ - New Brunswick, NJ
Drexel - Philly

Any thoughts?

Have a few mid-tier programs I could use some advice on. Just trying to weigh city vs. program pros and cons. Here they are:

Christiana Care - Newark, DE
Univ of Massachusetts - Worcester, MA
UConn - Farmington, CT
UPMC Mercy - Pittsburgh, PA
Rutgers-New Jersey - Newark, NJ
Rutgers - RWJ - New Brunswick, NJ
Drexel - Philly

Any thoughts?

How many are you looking to go on from this group?

I'd go to UMass and RWJ for sure. 3rd would be Drexel. After that? Meh...flip a coin a few times.

Last edited:
How many are you looking to ho on from thus group?

I'd go to UMass and RWJ for sure. 3rd would be Drexel. After that? Meh...flip a coin a few times.

Thanks for the input. Excited about UMass from reading previous posts around here. Was looking to pick 3 or so which is what you hit on. City-wise, looks like I'd pick Pitt over DE or CT.

Hey all,

I am looking to drop FOUR places off this following list:

1. Bridgeport (CT)
2. Stamford (CT)
3. MedStar / Washington (Baltimore)
4. Rutgers New Jersey (NJ)
5. Rochester General Hospital (NY)
6. USC (CA)
7. Alameda County (CA)

Does anyone have any insights as to which four to drop? I want to live somewhere that's either in or close to a large city, and a decent shot at a competitive fellowship (relatively speaking, I understand none of these programs are very competitive).

Sorry jdh, I didn't mean to offend. Is there another place I should post this or are these types of post generally not welcome?

Sorry jdh, I didn't mean to offend. Is there another place I should post this or are these types of post generally not welcome?

The question is perfectly fine, but we need a single thread devoted to it so the forum doesn't blow up with similar. Don't mind me, I aint even mad at you. We'll get this sorted out.

Hey all,

I am looking to drop FOUR places off this following list:

1. Bridgeport (CT)
2. Stamford (CT)
3. MedStar / Washington (Baltimore)
4. Rutgers New Jersey (NJ)
5. Rochester General Hospital (NY)
6. USC (CA)
7. Alameda County (CA)

Does anyone have any insights as to which four to drop? I want to live somewhere that's either in or close to a large city, and a decent shot at a competitive fellowship (relatively speaking, I understand none of these programs are very competitive).

Keeping USC is a no brainer. Which Rutgers program? RWJ or Newark? If RWJ, definitely keep it, if Newark...probably still keep it.

After that, flip a coin, although the two CT programs are kind of weak and I know nothing about Alameda.

Alright, sounds like I should definitely drop 1, 2, 3, and 5. Thanks everyone.

UVM, University of Maryland, University of Rochester, University of Wisconsin?

Also I see lots of votes for Maryland and Wisconsin here for others. Anyone care to chime in about why?

UVM, University of Maryland, University of Rochester, University of Wisconsin?

Also I see lots of votes for Maryland and Wisconsin here for others. Anyone care to chime in about why?

Be more helpful. How many of them do you want to go to?

UW and Maryland are no brainers.

Be more helpful. How many of them do you want to go to?

UW and Maryland are no brainers.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I have a number of interviews that I am for sure going to go to (10+). I wanted to ask if there was any compelling reason to go to any of the ones I listed that would make it worth the $300 flight/hotel cost. Can you tell me why they are no brainers?

Sorry I should have been more clear. I have a number of interviews that I am for sure going to go to (10+). I wanted to ask if there was any compelling reason to go to any of the ones I listed that would make it worth the $300 flight/hotel cost. Can you tell me why they are no brainers?

Because they are great academic programs with a reputation of clinical excellence with a strong national reputation and also really, really good in house fellowships?

Why else would we call something I no brainer?

Well then you haven't really given us enough information to answer your question in a meaningful way.

Put those 4 programs in the context of the rest of the places you're looking at. Otherwise we're just talking out of our asses (not that that's anything new mind you).

Well then you haven't really given us enough information to answer your question in a meaningful way.

Put those 4 programs in the context of the rest of the places you're looking at. Otherwise we're just talking out of our asses (not that that's anything new mind you).

Haha so far I have Cornell, Dartmouth, UCD, UCI, Harbor UCLA, Cedars, Brown, UNC, Olive View UCLA. I think that's most of them and still waiting on a bunch.

I appreciate all the help!

Haha so far I have Cornell, Dartmouth, UCD, UCI, Harbor UCLA, Cedars, Brown, UNC, Olive View UCLA. I think that's most of them and still waiting on a bunch.

I appreciate all the help!

I would go to Maryland and Madison before the ones I bolded above. In a heartbeat.

FWIW, 2 of my 5 favorite programs on the interview trail were Dartmouth and Madison.

Thanks for the help, in advance.

As you can judge by the list, I have absolutely zero preference, in regards to location. I am most concerned by 1.) Quality of clinical training and education and 2.) Fellowship opportunities. I would like to aim for 10-15 interviews to attend. I have yet to hear back from 20-30 programs. Which would you drop?

Interview invites (in alphabetic order):
Beth Israel NY
Einstein - Montefiore
Mayo Clinic - Scottsdale
Dartmouth
NS-LIJ
Rutgers - RWJ
SUNY Upstate
Santa Clara Valley, CA
UCI
UCR
UMiami
Mississippi
UNevada-Las Vegas
UNevada-Reno
University of New Mexico
Utah
Vermont
UWisconsin

Cheers

Thanks for the help, in advance.

As you can judge by the list, I have absolutely zero preference, in regards to location. I am most concerned by 1.) Quality of clinical training and education and 2.) Fellowship opportunities. I would like to aim for 10-15 interviews to attend. I have yet to hear back from 20-30 programs. Which would you drop?

Interview invites (in alphabetic order):
Beth Israel NY
Einstein - Montefiore
Mayo Clinic - Scottsdale
Dartmouth
NS-LIJ
Rutgers - RWJ
SUNY Upstate
Santa Clara Valley, CA
UCI
UCR
UMiami
Mississippi
UNevada-Las Vegas
UNevada-Reno
University of New Mexico
Utah
Vermont
UWisconsin

Cheers

On that list the ones I like, which doesn't meant the other programs suck, is Dartmouth, Utah, Vermont, and Wisconsin

Hi all
I am still holding out for some top tier programs although I'd be pleased with a number of programs I already have invites at...
I was hoping to start getting my list organized and maybe cancelling some interviews (have 20+ at this point).
Brief summary of goals: Research background, interested in ID, global health and HIV/AIDS. I don't think ID is particularly competitive fellowship so I am not too worried about placement after residency...unless you all have better insight into this...

Here's my list. Any comments regarding which should be cancelled (ideally would like to go on 15 or so interviews) and which should be at the top of my list would be greatly appreciated:
Lenox Hill
Einstein (Beth Israel)
Einstein (Montefiore)
Einstein (Jacobi)
VCU
UPMC - Montefiore/Presby
Providence Portland Medical Center
Yale (Primary care and Primary Care/HIV track)
Tufts
Tulane
Dartmouth
Temple
Jefferson
AGH
SUNY Downstate
Kaiser San Francisco
NS-LIJ
Cleveland Clinic
Cedars-Sinai
St. Luke's Roosevelt

Hi all
I am still holding out for some top tier programs although I'd be pleased with a number of programs I already have invites at...
I was hoping to start getting my list organized and maybe cancelling some interviews (have 20+ at this point).
Brief summary of goals: Research background, interested in ID, global health and HIV/AIDS. I don't think ID is particularly competitive fellowship so I am not too worried about placement after residency...unless you all have better insight into this...

Here's my list. Any comments regarding which should be cancelled (ideally would like to go on 15 or so interviews) and which should be at the top of my list would be greatly appreciated:

Keep these for sure:
NS-LIJ
Cleveland Clinic
Cedars-Sinai
Einstein (Montefiore)
Tufts
Tulane
Dartmouth
Temple
Jefferson
VCU

Keep these if you don't get anything better:
UPMC - Montefiore/Presby
St. Luke's Roosevelt
Einstein (Jacobi)
Lenox Hill

Probably not worth it:
Einstein (Beth Israel)
AGH
SUNY Downstate

On that list the ones I like, which doesn't meant the other programs suck, is Dartmouth, Utah, Vermont, and Wisconsin

Thanks for the feedback - I am excited about these ones, too.

Could anyone else, in that case, offer feedback as to which interviews I should look to drop? Thanks again for your help, all.

Interested to know why you don't think UPMC should be near the top of my list....

Keep these for sure:
NS-LIJ
Cleveland Clinic
Cedars-Sinai
Einstein (Montefiore)
Tufts
Tulane
Dartmouth
Temple
Jefferson
VCU

Keep these if you don't get anything better:
UPMC - Montefiore/Presby
St. Luke's Roosevelt
Einstein (Jacobi)
Lenox Hill

Probably not worth it:
Einstein (Beth Israel)
AGH
SUNY Downstate

Interested to know why you don't think UPMC should be near the top of my list....

I am also curious why UPMC is being held in low regard here. It was my understanding that Pitt is an excellent academic program. Grouping it in the same list as community programs like St. Luke's Roosevelt and Lenox Hill is baffling.

Status
Not open for further replies.