Help with deciding which interviews to go on

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me out:

I have interviews at some middle tier academic programs and some community programs. Some of the community programs I've interviewed at have GREAT fellowship match rates, but they're not well known outside of their area and obviously have no academic affiliation. What matters more in my career: name or fellowship match rates (I want to do a fellowship) ?
AND is fellowship matching really dependent on the institution you attend for residency or just on how hard you work no matter where you go?

-a US IMG

Unfortunately, it probably depends more on the institution where you did residency, but you certainly can get quite far by being an excellent resident.

We have generally been in agreement on this board - those of us who have ACTUALLY been through all of this - that going where you will thrive and grow will ultimately be the BEST place for you. Go with your gut, and don't over-think this too much.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to trim a couple places off this list- I've omitted 5 others that I already have scheduled. I'm from the midwest and am interested in academic general medicine - primarily inpatient, teaching >> research.

Programs:
UIC
Utah
UNC
Nebraska
UTSW
Colorado

Waiting on University of Chicago, Baylor, BIDMC, BWH, Duke but not expecting much success there. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to trim a couple places off this list- I've omitted 5 others that I already have scheduled. I'm from the midwest and am interested in academic general medicine - primarily inpatient, teaching >> research.

Programs:
UIC
Utah
UNC
Nebraska
UTSW
Colorado

Waiting on University of Chicago, Baylor, BIDMC, BWH, Duke but not expecting much success there. Thanks for your help!
Keep Utah, UNC and Colorado for sure.

Ditch UIC.

If you like TX, keep UTSW. Nebraska is OK but drop it if any of those others come through.

Question for my California peeps. I got rejected from the big 4 Cali programs outright (UCSF, UCLA, Stanford, and UCSD), but I got invites to:

Harbor-UCLA
UCI
USC
Scripps Mercy
Scripps Green

I would love to train in Cali and so I am probably going to interview at all of these programs, but I was hoping to get some insight on how to compare the programs. For example, everyone refers to Harbor as a community programs, but to me it sounds like a partially academic program with UCLA med students rotating there for core medicine. Also in USNWR, programs like Harvard get to claim MGH, BW, and BID and I suspect that UCLA gets a similar boost from UCLA-main, Harbor , and Olive.

Also, anyone have any thought on how Utah stacks up?

Hi all
I am still holding out for some top tier programs although I'd be pleased with a number of programs I already have invites at...
I was hoping to start getting my list organized and maybe cancelling some interviews (have 20+ at this point).
Brief summary of goals: Research background, interested in ID, global health and HIV/AIDS. I don't think ID is particularly competitive fellowship so I am not too worried about placement after residency...unless you all have better insight into this...

Here's my list. Any comments regarding which should be cancelled (ideally would like to go on 15 or so interviews) and which should be at the top of my list would be greatly appreciated:
Lenox Hill
Einstein (Beth Israel)
Einstein (Montefiore)
Einstein (Jacobi)
VCU
UPMC - Montefiore/Presby
Providence Portland Medical Center
Yale (Primary care and Primary Care/HIV track)
Tufts
Tulane
Dartmouth
Temple
Jefferson
AGH
SUNY Downstate
Kaiser San Francisco
NS-LIJ
Cleveland Clinic
Cedars-Sinai
St. Luke's Roosevelt

With your goals of ID, HIV, and global health in mind, why no interest in BCM? They have the nation's only School of Tropical Medicine (led by Dr. Peter Hotez who brought the Sabin Vaccine institute from GW, aka straight boss who develops vaccines for helminths, etc. ), one of the oldest HIV only clinics in the county (Thomas Street Clinic) , and as many HIV patients on the case load as anywhere in the country.

With your goals of ID, HIV, and global health in mind, why no interest in BCM? They have the nation's only School of Tropical Medicine (led by Dr. Peter Hotez who brought the Sabin Vaccine institute from GW, aka straight boss who develops vaccines for helminths, etc. ), one of the oldest HIV only clinics in the county (Thomas Street Clinic) , and as many HIV patients on the case load as anywhere in the country.

Go there for fellowship then. Who wants to spend their first few years of training in Houston when you dont have to?

Question for my California peeps. I got rejected from the big 4 Cali programs outright (UCSF, UCLA, Stanford, and UCSD), but I got invites to:

Harbor-UCLA
UCI
USC
Scripps Mercy
Scripps Green

I would love to train in Cali and so I am probably going to interview at all of these programs, but I was hoping to get some insight on how to compare the programs. For example, everyone refers to Harbor as a community programs, but to me it sounds like a partially academic program with UCLA med students rotating there for core medicine. Also in USNWR, programs like Harvard get to claim MGH, BW, and BID and I suspect that UCLA gets a similar boost from UCLA-main, Harbor , and Olive.

Utah is a GREAT program. It's isolation as the only university tertiary referral center for like 500-600 miles in about in direction makes for good training.

USC is awesome.

UCI is weak and I have this on good authority from someone I trust implicitly on this matter.

Harbor-UCLA
UCI
USC
Scripps Mercy
Scripps Green

Utah is the best program of all those...by far.

USC would be next on my list followed by Harbor = Scrips Green (mostly because it's chill as f*%#). Mercy and UCI are extraordinarily meh.

Utah is the best program of all those...by far.

USC would be next on my list followed by Harbor = Scrips Green (mostly because it's chill as f*%#). Mercy and UCI are extraordinarily meh.

Hey Gutonc,

Serious question, not trying to challenge you or anything like that: How do you know so much about so many programs? And you don't seem to just know about a particular region, but you know about lots of programs all over the country. And you know random facts like that Scrips Green is really chill...

EDIT: Is it mainly because you're on a fellowship admissions committee?

Hey Gutonc,

Serious question, not trying to challenge you or anything like that: How do you know so much about so many programs? And you don't seem to just know about a particular region, but you know about lots of programs all over the country. And you know random facts like that Scrips Green is really chill...

EDIT: Is it mainly because you're on a fellowship admissions committee?
I've been doing this awhile. I have interviewed at many of these programs and have friends that are or have been at some of them in the past. I will say that programs can change over time and information can easily go out of date. So, as always, the information you get from me (and every random anonymous person on the intarwubs) is worth exactly what you pay for it.

I have to narrow down my interviews. These are the ones that I'm considering knocking off the list. I can choose about 2-3 of them. Are there any gems here that I'm not aware of or any that are particularly good? I'm looking to go into a competitive fellowship.

Baylor- Dallas
UoArkansas
UoMissouri- Columbia
UoKentucky
UT San Antonio
Carilion Clinic
Carolinas
Methodist-Dallas
Methodist-Houston

I have to narrow down my interviews. These are the ones that I'm considering knocking off the list. I can choose about 2-3 of them. Are there any gems here that I'm not aware of or any that are particularly good? I'm looking to go into a competitive fellowship.

Baylor- Dallas
UoArkansas
UoMissouri- Columbia
UoKentucky
UT San Antonio
Carilion Clinic
Carolinas
Methodist-Dallas
Methodist-Houston
There aren't any "hidden gems" in that list as far as I'm concerned. If I had to pick 2-3 of them I'd probably do UTSA, Arkansas and Kentucky.

But reasonable people can disagree and if you're one of those strange people with a massive stiffy for Texas (I will never, ever understand that, but whatever), UTSA, Methodist-Houston and Fake Baylor would be OK too.

Members don't see this ad :)

Baylor- Dallas
UoArkansas
UoMissouri- Columbia
UoKentucky
UT San Antonio
Carilion Clinic
Carolinas
Methodist-Dallas
Methodist-Houston

Kentucky and San Antonio.

Methodist - Houston if you want a third.

I need some help with cutting down my interviews in January. I'm from midwest and I like academic medicine, primary care more than research.
UofCincinnati
RutgersNJMS
RWJMS
UIC
WHC in DC

They are all spread out and I need to cut one or two because of my budget and conflict with work schedule.
I appreciate any help!

I need some help with cutting down my interviews in January. I'm from midwest and I like academic medicine, primary care more than research.
UofCincinnati
RutgersNJMS
RWJMS
UIC
WHC in DC

They are all spread out and I need to cut one or two because of my budget and conflict with work schedule.
I appreciate any help!

Go to Cinci and UIC

UofCincinnati
RutgersNJMS
RWJMS
UIC
WHC in DC

I appreciate any help!
RWJ and UCinn. UIC if you need a 3rd out of that group.

Unfortunately, it probably depends more on the institution where you did residency, but you certainly can get quite far by being an excellent resident.

We have generally been in agreement on this board - those of us who have ACTUALLY been through all of this - that going where you will thrive and grow will ultimately be the BEST place for you. Go with your gut, and don't over-think this too much.

Completely agree. Program matters but so too does your sanity. Residency is a stressful time and if you are unhappy on top of that, you're going to have a tough 3 years. If you go with your gut you progbably won't go wrong.

UofCincinnati
RutgersNJMS
RWJMS
UIC
WHC in DC

I appreciate any help!

Cut WHC.

Dont kid me. Tristate >> Midwest in all aspects of life (except cost of living)

UofCincinnati
RutgersNJMS
RWJMS
UIC
WHC in DC

I appreciate any help!

Cincy vs. Jersey aside (and I'd vote Cincy 10 out of 10 times), U of Cincinnati has a "long block" system, that would potentially be right up your ally if you're thinking primary care. The residents (I interviewed there last year) were friendly and happy, and they seem to have a very supportive PD (Dr. Warm). I'd interview there, and don't know enough about the other programs to say much one way or the other (I have a friend at UIC who is quite happy, but can't be much help otherwise).

Need some help pulling the trigger:

Interviews attended
UW ++
OHSU +++
Utah +++
Colorado +
(top 4)
UCLA ++
Minnesota +++
Irvine (Yuck, will not rank)
Mayo (Yuck, will not rank)

Definitely attending:
UC Davis
Scripps
Stanford

Maybe?? Which to cancel?
Michigan
Wisconsin IMPACT PSTP
New Mexico
Vermont
Hawaii
UCSF Fresno
U of Arizona

Halp. Particular sticking points: I want to do Heme/Onc. Please convince me that Hawaii and Vermont don't have good programs, because I have mad love for both location-wise. Living in Wisconsin would suck, but their research thing sounds stupid good. Also, pretty sure the state of Arizona is a giant dry furnace cesspool, someone please confirm?

Interviews attended
UW ++
OHSU +++
Utah +++
Colorado +
(top 4)
UCLA ++
Minnesota +++

Definitely attending:
UC Davis
Scripps
Stanford

Maybe?? Which to cancel?
Michigan
Wisconsin IMPACT PSTP
New Mexico
Vermont
Hawaii
UCSF Fresno
U of Arizona

Halp. Particular sticking points: I want to do Heme/Onc. Please convince me that Hawaii and Vermont don't have good programs, because I have mad love for both location-wise. Living in Wisconsin would suck, but their research thing sounds stupid good. Also, pretty sure the state of Arizona is a giant dry furnace cesspool, someone please confirm?

You need to go to both Michigan and Wisconsin. Cancel NM and Fresno. Hawaii is a spot most of us don't know much about. They tend to keep their own. It's very incestuous like that, but if you want to see the location keep them and check them out. Vermont has a solid rep, if you want to see the location, go. Arizona is a fine program, but you are right it's like the surface of the moon in Tucson, and based on your list, I don't think you'd rank them high enough, so maybe save them and yourself the time.

Interviews attended
UW ++
OHSU +++
Utah +++
Colorado +
(top 4)
UCLA ++
Minnesota +++

Definitely attending:
UC Davis
Scripps
Stanford

Maybe?? Which to cancel?
Michigan
Wisconsin IMPACT PSTP
New Mexico
Vermont
Hawaii
UCSF Fresno
U of Arizona

Your list so far looks pretty good so I'm not worried about you needing to maximize IVs. Although I'm curious what the issue was with Mayo (other than location)...UCI I totally understand. So with that background....

Michigan and Wisconsin are no brainers. If you don't go on those you're a *****.

The rest of the programs on that list are mediocre at best. HI and UVM aren't great programs (UVM is OK, HI is very meh). UNM and UAZ are the two best programs in the Desert Southwest, for whatever that's worth.

If you're so interested in the frozen Northeast, why not Dartmouth? Did you not apply or not get an IV? Because, in New England, outside of Boston (and by Boston I mean the HMS programs), Dartmouth is the best thing going, followed by UMass and Brown, then the other Boston programs (BU, Tufts) then UVM then...well...who cares at that point?

And UCSF Fresno? Fres...NO!

"Because, in New England, outside of Boston (and by Boston I mean the HMS programs), Dartmouth is the best thing going, followed by UMass and Brown, then the other Boston programs (BU, Tufts)"
^Really? I'd be interested in hearing more opinions and explanation on this (quality of programs in New England other than MGH/BID/BWH)- not that I don't trust your opinion gutonc, but it's very different from the ranking I had in my head.

Also, if you had to cancel an interview at either Rutgers-RWJ or UMass, which would you cancel based on program quality alone (ignoring location)?

"Because, in New England, outside of Boston (and by Boston I mean the HMS programs), Dartmouth is the best thing going, followed by UMass and Brown, then the other Boston programs (BU, Tufts)"
^Really? I'd be interested in hearing more opinions and explanation on this (quality of programs in New England other than MGH/BID/BWH)- not that I don't trust your opinion gutonc, but it's very different from the ranking I had in my head.

Also, if you had to cancel an interview at either Rutgers-RWJ or UMass, which would you cancel based on program quality alone (ignoring location)?
Please use the quote/reply function. It makes things easier to read and follow. It looks like you're quoting yourself up there and it's confusing. But to your points....

I don't care one way or the other if you trust my opinion...it's just that, an opinion. You (or anyone) basing your rank list based on the opinion of some random intarwub dude is just dumb. If you liked programs in a certain order, rank them that way. You shouldn't care one whit what I or jdh or anybody else thinks.

To the RWJ/UMass question, I think you have to go on location because they're pretty comparable programs. For me personally, the Onc and research at RWJ is stronger than UMass, which is what I care(d) about. But UMass was a program that was in the lead in terms of novel approaches to duty hours issues so they've had a chance to work out the kinks by now which is nice.

Reactions: 1 user
Oops sorry, I'll use the quote function next time.

And I don't mean that I'm making my rank list based on yours or anyone else's opinion. By my "ranking in my head" I meant more like my mental paradigm for what's a "better program" than something else. I haven't even interviewed at any of these New England places yet, so I haven't actually gotten to form my own opinion about them yet (which I will). I just meant general reputation based on hearsay/popular consensus/thoughts of experienced people like yourself. For my education and curiosity, would you be willing to elaborate on what you think makes these programs (Dartmouth, UMass, Brown, Tufts, BU) better/worse than each other? Opinions of others are welcome too.

And thanks, guess I have a tough choice to make between RWJ and UMass. Anyone else feel strongly one way or the other?

I was wondering if someone could help me decide whether or not I should go on a couple interviews I am debating. I am from the midwest and want to move to a different big city. I am interested in GI, strong teaching, great training that's challenging yet not super malignant. I have interviews scheduled for: BID, Stanford, UCLA, UCSD, UChicago, WashU, Michigan, Mount Sinai, BU, Tufts, Georgetown, Denver, Mayo, UIC, Indiana, Ohio State and Cedars-Sinai. Already went on MGH, Rush, Loyola (I live in Chicago). I was reading about Cedars and it seems like a large portion of the patients are private and there isn't as much rounding/teaching. I was thinking about canceling my Cedars interview and potentially my Georgetown and ohio state interview as well. Cedars is the one coming up soon, so if I want to cancel, I gotta do it quick. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I was wondering if someone could help me decide whether or not I should go on a couple interviews I am debating. I am from the midwest and want to move to a different big city. I am interested in GI, strong teaching, great training that's challenging yet not super malignant. I have interviews scheduled for: BID, Stanford, UCLA, UCSD, UChicago, WashU, Michigan, Mount Sinai, BU, Tufts, Georgetown, Denver, Mayo, UIC, Indiana, Ohio State and Cedars-Sinai. Already went on MGH, Rush, Loyola (I live in Chicago). I was reading about Cedars and it seems like a large portion of the patients are private and there isn't as much rounding/teaching. I was thinking about canceling my Cedars interview and potentially my Georgetown and ohio state interview as well. Cedars is the one coming up soon, so if I want to cancel, I gotta do it quick. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Definitely cancel Cedars. Consider getting rid of GT although they've got strong GI Oncology as does OSU (not sure about other GI stuff as I don't care). Looking at your interview list, you're going to be in great shape and could probably ditch IU, Tufts and BU as well...although you never know what you'll love about a place so no harm/no foul if you keep them.

Also, consider changing your Status "Pre-Med".

Last edited:
Your list so far looks pretty good so I'm not worried about you needing to maximize IVs. Although I'm curious what the issue was with Mayo (other than location)...UCI I totally understand. So with that background....

Michigan and Wisconsin are no brainers. If you don't go on those you're a *****.

The rest of the programs on that list are mediocre at best. HI and UVM aren't great programs (UVM is OK, HI is very meh). UNM and UAZ are the two best programs in the Desert Southwest, for whatever that's worth.

If you're so interested in the frozen Northeast, why not Dartmouth? Did you not apply or not get an IV? Because, in New England, outside of Boston (and by Boston I mean the HMS programs), Dartmouth is the best thing going, followed by UMass and Brown, then the other Boston programs (BU, Tufts) then UVM then...well...who cares at that point?

And UCSF Fresno? Fres...NO!

So, a caveat: I'm trying to couples match. Vermont doesn't have a training program in her specialty, added them because of proximity to ski resorts and I thought the vibe of Burlington might be similar to what I'm used to. I'm allergic to the East coast, the personality of programs there, etc. Wisconsin: Partner doesn't have an interview, NOTHING to do (seemingly) in Madison, but program is good. Michigan...Ok here's what I'm worried about: I interviewed at UCLA. The program is fantastic, the people are very smart. I would not want to grab a beer with any of them, and I wouldn't be surprised if none of them drank (too busy working). I feel like Michigan might have the same vibe: I'd totally sacrifice a little big-name power for being able to work with people whose company I enjoy.

Although I'm curious what the issue was with Mayo (other than location).

Honestly, it wasn't the suit thing, or the town, or the VIP clientele. It was all three. They kept saying how "informal, relaxed" things were, but every interaction felt exactly the opposite. This was compounded by what seemed to be a massive chip on their shoulder that they should be among the ranks of MGH, UCSF but get passed over due to location. There was one slide during a presentation that compared the research productivity of their residents with people who could've gone to Mayo but didn't (Ok, who the hell keeps track of people who DON'T go to your program??) Also, I've heard from more than one source that Mayo cherry-picks their patients and dumps the tough or hard-luck cases on surrounding institutions (Minnesota, Wisconsin). Even if there were just a sliver of truth to it, that doesn't jive with me at all.

Also, re: Fresno: Ha.

Last edited:
So, a caveat: I'm trying to couples match. Vermont doesn't have a training program in her specialty, added them because of proximity to ski resorts and I thought the vibe of Burlington might be similar to what I'm used to.
So you're trying to couples match but if that doesn't work out, you'll trade the old lady for a (shi**y) ski slope? For realz?

I'm allergic to the East coast, the personality of programs there, etc.
But you still applied to UVM. Dartmouth has a very different vibe than most of the rest of the NE programs. But that's water under the bridge, and your loss, at this point.

Wisconsin: Partner doesn't have an interview, NOTHING to do (seemingly) in Madison, but program is good.
Well since you're willing to sell her out for a crappy ski slope, I can't imagine that walleye fishing and beer pong are a big step down in terms of trade offs. But if she can't match there, don't bother.

Michigan...Ok here's what I'm worried about: I interviewed at UCLA. The program is fantastic, the people are very smart. I would not want to grab a beer with any of them, and I wouldn't be surprised if none of them drank (too busy working). I feel like Michigan might have the same vibe: I'd totally sacrifice a little big-name power for being able to work with people whose company I enjoy.
You may be right. Or not. Why not find out?

At least you're being reasonable here.

Also, I've heard from more than one source that Mayo cherry-picks their patients and dumps the tough or hard-luck cases on surrounding institutions (Minnesota, Wisconsin). Even if there were just a sliver of truth to it, that doesn't jive with me at all.

A sliver of truth?? :rofl:

No pay, no play at the world famous mayo clinic. You want to see sick patients in MN? You need to go to the U.

Reactions: 1 user
Michigan...Ok here's what I'm worried about: I interviewed at UCLA. The program is fantastic, the people are very smart. I would not want to grab a beer with any of them, and I wouldn't be surprised if none of them drank (too busy working). I feel like Michigan might have the same vibe: I'd totally sacrifice a little big-name power for being able to work with people whose company I enjoy.

Wha? I assure you Michigan residents are very happy to go out and grab beers, if that's what you're worried about...

Got a couple for you guys. DO student from the south. About midway through the interview season (4/7 of which I would rank highly). Undecided specialty, maybe hospital medicine vs nephro and I see myself in academic medicine in the future (so I know name does matter).

• UMass - Have heard good things in the past...any recent thoughts?
  • Temple - mixed reviews here, good pt population
  • Albert Einstein, Philly - same with the mixed reviews
  • Drexel
  • RWJ - have only heard positive things and I'm excited, however, how do I convince the wife that NJ isn't that bad, bro?
If I could make one trip up and hit 3 of these I'd be happy. Thanks for your input!

If you're going to hit 3 of them, make it RWJ, UMass and Temple (in that order of program strength, not geographically).

And I'd personally rather live in New Brunswick which is kind of college-town-y than Worcester (or even Boston for that matter). And if she'd prefer to be in the city, it's commutable-ish from someplace like lower Manhattan, Brooklyn or Hoboken/Jersey City if you don't mind the tolls.

So, a caveat: I'm trying to couples match. Vermont doesn't have a training program in her specialty, added them because of proximity to ski resorts and I thought the vibe of Burlington might be similar to what I'm used to. I'm allergic to the East coast, the personality of programs there, etc. Wisconsin: Partner doesn't have an interview, NOTHING to do (seemingly) in Madison, but program is good. Michigan...Ok here's what I'm worried about: I interviewed at UCLA. The program is fantastic, the people are very smart. I would not want to grab a beer with any of them, and I wouldn't be surprised if none of them drank (too busy working). I feel like Michigan might have the same vibe: I'd totally sacrifice a little big-name power for being able to work with people whose company I enjoy.

I interviewed all over, and Michigan had by far the most social/outgoing interview dinner. Worth the trip to Madison and Ann Arbor IMO.

I'm couples matching and ended up with way too many interviews (he's applying to a competitive specialty so we both applied to a ton of programs). Being that I'm already starting to get burned out, I'd love some help deciding which of my remaining interviews are a "must go" versus an "optional". A little about me: I'm from the west coast. Not particularly fond of cold weather, but I'd be okay with moving should I love a program enough. I'd like to live in an area with some culture, bars/dining, entertainment. A low cost of living would be a plus as I'm moving with 2 dogs and don't want to be stuck living in a shoebox. Im thinking of hospitalist practice, but not ruling out fellowship. Have liked what I've seen so far of GI, pulm/cc, and allergy/immunology but totally undecided at this point.

Places where we both have interviews but would be willing to cancel:
-Cleveland clinic
-Case Western UH
-U of Cincinnati
-MCW
-U of South Florida
-Penn State

Places where only I have an interview but am debating on whether to still go to (some are within a short drive or flight from my SO's interviews):
-U of Wash
-Baylor
-UIC
-Loyola
-Indiana
-Cornell
-Albert Einstein Montefiore
-Emory
-Colorado
-Tulane
-University of Florida

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've been to some of these programs and spent time in every locale for non-interview reasons other than gainesville. You're going to get a great education at any of those, I'd say to work out something with your SO and your dogs. The cities will keep you poorer...but look into each program's benefits package--insurance, meals, etc. I went to some programs that pay avg but have 15+k in benefits. Doesn't matter either way for me, because I could live in a shoebox and be OK, but maybe for you and your SO. Personally, having lived in a lot of regions/states that include your selections, I liked Ohio the least....by far. Its flat, smells like a paper mill, and the culture is that of a sears catalog....lived in 3 bigger cities too.

I'm couples matching and ended up with way too many interviews (he's applying to a competitive specialty so we both applied to a ton of programs). Being that I'm already starting to get burned out, I'd love some help deciding which of my remaining interviews are a "must go" versus an "optional". A little about me: I'm from the west coast. Not particularly fond of cold weather, but I'd be okay with moving should I love a program enough. I'd like to live in an area with some culture, bars/dining, entertainment. A low cost of living would be a plus as I'm moving with 2 dogs and don't want to be stuck living in a shoebox. Im thinking of hospitalist practice, but not ruling out fellowship. Have liked what I've seen so far of GI, pulm/cc, and allergy/immunology but totally undecided at this point.

Places where we both have interviews but would be willing to cancel:
-Cleveland clinic
-Case Western UH
-U of Cincinnati
-MCW
-U of South Florida
-Penn State

Places where only I have an interview but am debating on whether to still go to (some are within a short drive or flight from my SO's interviews):
-U of Wash
-Baylor
-UIC
-Loyola
-Indiana
-Cornell
-Albert Einstein Montefiore
-Emory
-Colorado
-Tulane
-University of Florida

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think you should at least check out UW and Cornell if you have the time and money. Otherwise on the other list Cinci and MCW are a couple of often overlooked programs that are actually pretty good - not to say the rest are "bad" - just that those are the two I'd definitely go to.

If you're going to hit 3 of them, make it RWJ, UMass and Temple (in that order of program strength, not geographically).

So UMass is a stronger program than Temple and Drexel? How does it compare to Jefferson?

Status
Not open for further replies.