You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Help with deciding which interviews to go on
Started by wamcp
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Interested to know why you don't think UPMC should be near the top of my list....
Is that real Pitt or one of the fake ones? I can never tell which is which. I just assumed it was one of the fake ones since you bothered to qualify it's name.
If it's real Pitt, move it to the top. If it's fake Pitt, leave it where it is.
Interested in GI, looking to go on 10-12. Also planning on going to Downstate. their graduate.
Downstate
UVA
Indiana
Minn
Wakeforest
Emory
RWJ
NJMS
AECOM
BI in NY
USC
Georgetown
Case
NSLIJ
UIC
Cancelled SIUH and planning on cancelling Winthrop
It's your funeral. I graduated from there too and didn't even bother to apply.
As for the others:
UVA
Indiana
Minn
Wakeforest
Emory
RWJ
AECOM
USC
UIC
Then flip a coin and go to 1 or 2 of these:
Georgetown
Case
NSLIJ
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is that real Pitt or one of the fake ones? I can never tell which is which. I just assumed it was one of the fake ones since you bothered to qualify it's name.
If it's real Pitt, move it to the top. If it's fake Pitt, leave it where it is.
UPMC Montefiore/Presbyterian is the real Pitt. And it's awesome.
UPMC Montefiore/Presbyterian is the real Pitt. And it's awesome.
Thanks for the clarification. Can we just call it Pitt then? Agree that Real Pitt is a Real Great Program.
Back when I applied there was UPMC (no clarification needed) and a couple of other programs called UPMC-something or other that made it clear they weren't the real thing.
UVa, Indy, Minn, Wake, Emory, AECOM, USC, Georgetown, Case, UICInterested in GI, looking to go on 10-12. Also planning on going to Downstate. their graduate.
Downstate
UVA
Indiana
Minn
Wakeforest
Emory
RWJ
NJMS
AECOM
BI in NY
USC
Georgetown
Case
NSLIJ
UIC
Cancelled SIUH and planning on cancelling Winthrop
Sorry for the confusion. I went to Pitt for undergrad and love the UPMC system. Am really excited about interviewing there and putting it at the top of my list.
Thanks for the input.
Thanks for the input.
Thanks for the clarification. Can we just call it Pitt then? Agree that Real Pitt is a Real Great Program.
Back when I applied there was UPMC (no clarification needed) and a couple of other programs called UPMC-something or other that made it clear they weren't the real thing.
What I meant was I plan on attending downstates interview. I liked downstate but I guess my mind will be blown when seeing the other programs. Thanks for the adviceIt's your funeral. I graduated from there too and didn't even bother to apply.
As for the others:
UVA
Indiana
Minn
Wakeforest
Emory
RWJ
AECOM
USC
UIC
Then flip a coin and go to 1 or 2 of these:
Georgetown
Case
NSLIJ
What I meant was I plan on attending downstates interview. I liked downstate but I guess my mind will be blown when seeing the other programs. Thanks for the advice
I know what you meant. I still think it's not worth your trouble.
Thanks for the help, in advance.
As you can judge by the list, I have absolutely zero preference, in regards to location. I am most concerned by 1.) Quality of clinical training and education and 2.) Fellowship opportunities. I would like to aim for 10-15 interviews to attend. I have yet to hear back from 20-30 programs. Which would you drop?
Interview invites (in alphabetic order):
Beth Israel NY
Einstein - Montefiore
Mayo Clinic - Scottsdale
Dartmouth
NS-LIJ
Rutgers - RWJ
SUNY Upstate
Santa Clara Valley, CA
UCI
UCR
UMiami
Mississippi
UNevada-Las Vegas
UNevada-Reno
University of New Mexico
Utah
Vermont
UWisconsin
Cheers
Any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate help with this list.
I am planning to drop UN-LV, BI, Miami, Mayo-scottsdale, and UCR, keeping in mind my fellowship aspirations.
Thanks again for taking a look.
It's your funeral. I graduated from there too and didn't even bother to apply.
As for the others:
UVA
Indiana
Minn
Wakeforest
Emory
RWJ
AECOM
USC
UIC
Then flip a coin and go to 1 or 2 of these:
Georgetown
Case
NSLIJ
Do you feel that Case UH is a weaker program than RWJ/AECOM/etc.?
Hey all,
I was wondering which FOUR of the following to drop. My ultimate goal is a fellowship in either California or NYC.
California Pacific Medical Center
Kaiser Santa Clara
Kaiser SF
Rutgers RWJ
Scripps Green
UCLA Olive view
USC
Santa Clara Valley
I was wondering which FOUR of the following to drop. My ultimate goal is a fellowship in either California or NYC.
California Pacific Medical Center
Kaiser Santa Clara
Kaiser SF
Rutgers RWJ
Scripps Green
UCLA Olive view
USC
Santa Clara Valley
Last edited:
Do you feel that Case UH is a weaker program than RWJ/AECOM/etc.?
Clearly.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,
I was wondering which FOUR of the following to drop. My ultimate goal is a fellowship in either California or NYC.
California Pacific Medical Center
Kaiser Santa Clara
Kaiser SF
Rutgers RWJ
Scripps Green
UCLA Olive view
USC
Santa Clara Valley
Keep:
RWJ
USC
CPMC
Scripps
Drop:
The rest
Any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate help with this list.
I am planning to drop UN-LV, BI, Miami, Mayo-scottsdale, and UCR, keeping in mind my fellowship aspirations.
Thanks again for taking a look.
Well, you already got a good suggestion. You ignore it at your peril.
But since you asked again (please stop BTW):
Keep These:
Einstein - Montefiore
Dartmouth
NS-LIJ
Rutgers - RWJ
UCI
University of New Mexico
Utah
Vermont
UWisconsin
m71man:
I'm not an expert, but there are the ones I would drop, in no particular order:
Mayo Clinic - Scottsdale
SUNY Upstate
UCR
UMiami
UNevada-Las Vegas
UNevada-Reno
Thanks for your input. I was thinking the same.
Well, you already got a good suggestion. You ignore it at your peril.
But since you asked again (please stop BTW):
Keep These:
Einstein - Montefiore
Dartmouth
NS-LIJ
Rutgers - RWJ
UCI
University of New Mexico
Utah
Vermont
UWisconsin
I apologize. These two were the answers I was seeking - so thank you for your time.
Hi all, I need some help on deciding which interviews to go on. Preface is that the interviews I am listing here are ones which I am borderline in terms of deciding whether I want to go to them or not. I am also really interested in cardiology, so a strong cardiology department and fellowship match rate would be pluses.
George Washington vs. Georgetown (I was only able to schedule them on the same date, so I have to drop one)
UVA
Dartmouth
UNC
Einstein Montefiore
Boston University
Tufts
Temple
Wake Forest
UCLA
Cedars-Sinai (note, I would probably prefer to stay away from the West coast, but if you guys think I shouldn't pass up interviews in UCLA/Cedars then I might do it)
Ohio state
University of Alabama
Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks!
George Washington vs. Georgetown (I was only able to schedule them on the same date, so I have to drop one)
UVA
Dartmouth
UNC
Einstein Montefiore
Boston University
Tufts
Temple
Wake Forest
UCLA
Cedars-Sinai (note, I would probably prefer to stay away from the West coast, but if you guys think I shouldn't pass up interviews in UCLA/Cedars then I might do it)
Ohio state
University of Alabama
Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited:
Hi all, I need some help on deciding which interviews to go on. Preface is that the interviews I am listing here are ones which I am borderline in terms of deciding whether I want to go to them or not. I am also really interested in cardiology, so a strong cardiology department and fellowship match rate would be pluses.
George Washington vs. Georgetown (I was only able to schedule them on the same date, so I have to drop one)
UVA
Dartmouth
UNC
Einstein Montefiore
Boston University
Tufts
Temple
Wake Forest
UCLA
Cedars-Sinai (note, I would probably prefer to stay away from the West coast, but if you guys think I shouldn't pass up interviews in UCLA/Cedars then I might do it)
Ohio state
University of Alabama
Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks!
Drop Temple, GW, and Cedars. UCLA is a program you don't want to miss, but if you're going to be in LA, might as well do cedars at the same time. Unless you're telling me its Harbor or Olive, both decent community programs but given your career aspirations, stick to a University program.
Cedars has a great cards program, but it doesn't seem like they accept their own.
Hey guys. Really all I want is to live in a good location where money is not tight like SF...and have a good program that is NOT malignant.
Career goals: Endocrine, would not like to close doors on heme onc or GI
I've cancelled around 15 already but here are my remaining ones I am considering...
Places I am considering:
UAB
Iowa
Louisville
Indiana
Ohio St
Emory
UNC
Colorado
Tulane
Vermont (don't like east coast...)
Dartmouth (see above)
Minnesota
Wake Forest
Carolinas
UW-Madison
Utah
I can afford time/moneywise to go on most of these. I am leaning towards cutting out Vermont, Dartmouth, Utah.
Will I close doors if I go to any of these? I am not overly concerned with bragging about the program name like a lot seem to be
Career goals: Endocrine, would not like to close doors on heme onc or GI
I've cancelled around 15 already but here are my remaining ones I am considering...
Places I am considering:
UAB
Iowa
Louisville
Indiana
Ohio St
Emory
UNC
Colorado
Tulane
Vermont (don't like east coast...)
Dartmouth (see above)
Minnesota
Wake Forest
Carolinas
UW-Madison
Utah
I can afford time/moneywise to go on most of these. I am leaning towards cutting out Vermont, Dartmouth, Utah.
Will I close doors if I go to any of these? I am not overly concerned with bragging about the program name like a lot seem to be
Hey guys. Really all I want is to live in a good location where money is not tight like SF...and have a good program that is NOT malignant.
Career goals: Endocrine, would not like to close doors on heme onc or GI
I've cancelled around 15 already but here are my remaining ones I am considering...
Places I am considering:
UAB
Iowa
Louisville
Indiana
Ohio St
Emory
UNC
Colorado
Tulane
Vermont (don't like east coast...)
Dartmouth (see above)
Minnesota
Wake Forest
Carolinas
UW-Madison
Utah
I can afford time/moneywise to go on most of these. I am leaning towards cutting out Vermont, Dartmouth, Utah.
Will I close doors if I go to any of these? I am not overly concerned with bragging about the program name like a lot seem to be
I would ditch Louisville, UVM, Carolinas and maybe Tulane. I would absolutely go to Dartmouth and Utah.
Looking for some advice on which interviews to drop.
Most likely going: BID, UAB, Cornell, OHSU, WashU, Yale, UTSW
Rest of interviews: Rochester, Case UH, Bayview, UMD, Iowa, Wisconsin, UVA, UC-Denver, RWJ, AECOM, Dartmouth, BU, Jefferson
Looking to go to maybe half of the interviews in that second list. I'm leaning towards Pulm/CC, but I'm not dead set in that either.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Most likely going: BID, UAB, Cornell, OHSU, WashU, Yale, UTSW
Rest of interviews: Rochester, Case UH, Bayview, UMD, Iowa, Wisconsin, UVA, UC-Denver, RWJ, AECOM, Dartmouth, BU, Jefferson
Looking to go to maybe half of the interviews in that second list. I'm leaning towards Pulm/CC, but I'm not dead set in that either.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Looking for some advice on which interviews to drop.
Most likely going: BID, UAB, Cornell, OHSU, WashU, Yale, UTSW
Rest of interviews: Rochester, Case UH, Bayview, UMD, Iowa, Wisconsin, UVA, UC-Denver, RWJ, AECOM, Dartmouth, BU, Jefferson
Looking to go to maybe half of the interviews in that second list. I'm leaning towards Pulm/CC, but I'm not dead set in that either.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Do you want to stay out east or not? I think that's the question you need to ask.
I mean Wisconsin and Iowa are great programs, I like them better than more than a few on the second list but if you wouldn't ever seriously consider living out in that neck of the woods, it seems like you waste your time.
Do you want to stay out east or not? I think that's the question you need to ask.
I mean Wisconsin and Iowa are great programs, I like them better than more than a few on the second list but if you wouldn't ever seriously consider living out in that neck of the woods, it seems like you waste your time.
I have no geographical preference, and I'd gladly go to Madison or Iowa because of the program strength.
Looking for some advice on which interviews to drop.
Most likely going: BID, UAB, Cornell, OHSU, WashU, Yale, UTSW
Rest of interviews: Rochester, Case UH, Bayview, UMD, Iowa, Wisconsin, UVA, UC-Denver, RWJ, AECOM, Dartmouth, BU, Jefferson
Looking to go to maybe half of the interviews in that second list. I'm leaning towards Pulm/CC, but I'm not dead set in that either.
Thanks for any suggestions.
I have no geographical preference, and I'd gladly go to Madison or Iowa because of the program strength.
Ok then, you really only need like three more programs, and definitely no more five more (but it's your money and time)
Iowa
Wisconsin
UVA
Dartmouth
UMD
Don't miss Wisconsin. And if you like pulm/crit check out UMD. Of the rest decide wether you like mountains, the south, or the plains
Keep these:Looking for some advice on which interviews to drop.
UMD, Iowa, Wisconsin, UC-Denver, RWJ, Dartmouth
Hey Guys,
First I want to say, the experience so far has been very humbling. Need help with deciding which interviews to go on. Overall goal is COMMUNITY cards/heme-onc/GI -- meaning for fellowship I don't care where I go, as long as I match since I am just doing community/private practice…Here's my list of the one's I'm debating on going…which ones would I be STUPID to NOT go to:
Pittsburgh
Baylor
UChicago
UTSW
Yale
NYU
Mayo Clinic
Boston
I've got local community programs that I am already going to and wouldn't mind going to as long as I could match into fellowship.
Thanks!
First I want to say, the experience so far has been very humbling. Need help with deciding which interviews to go on. Overall goal is COMMUNITY cards/heme-onc/GI -- meaning for fellowship I don't care where I go, as long as I match since I am just doing community/private practice…Here's my list of the one's I'm debating on going…which ones would I be STUPID to NOT go to:
Pittsburgh
Baylor
UChicago
UTSW
Yale
NYU
Mayo Clinic
Boston
I've got local community programs that I am already going to and wouldn't mind going to as long as I could match into fellowship.
Thanks!
Hey Guys,
First I want to say, the experience so far has been very humbling. Need help with deciding which interviews to go on. Overall goal is COMMUNITY cards/heme-onc/GI -- meaning for fellowship I don't care where I go, as long as I match since I am just doing community/private practice…Here's my list of the one's I'm debating on going…which ones would I be STUPID to NOT go to:
Pittsburgh
Baylor
UChicago
UTSW
Yale
NYU
Mayo Clinic
Boston
I've got local community programs that I am already going to and wouldn't mind going to as long as I could match into fellowship.
Thanks!
Why would you be "humbled" by this list?? Plus most of your fellowships are at university programs . . .
I don't get the nature of the question I guess.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys,
First I want to say, the experience so far has been very humbling. Need help with deciding which interviews to go on. Overall goal is COMMUNITY cards/heme-onc/GI -- meaning for fellowship I don't care where I go, as long as I match since I am just doing community/private practice…Here's my list of the one's I'm debating on going…which ones would I be STUPID to NOT go to:
Pittsburgh
Baylor
UChicago
UTSW
Yale
NYU
Mayo Clinic
Boston
I've got local community programs that I am already going to and wouldn't mind going to as long as I could match into fellowship.
Thanks!
What? humble brag? You seriously received great offers. Don't miss any of them.
jdh, could I ask if you agree with gutonc's assessment to which programs I should drop (above)? I am asking for a second opinion (although his is obviously very valued) because I'm going to start withdrawing from various programs tonight.
Yup, I agree.
Since it's been almost a week since my last invite, I guess it's safe to start making final travel plans. Looking to have ~16 scheduled over three months, with 10 I know I will go on. Need to pick 6 from the others:
Rochester Research Pathway
Case UH Research
Tufts
UMass
NSLIJ
Temple
Stony Brook
Rutgers NJMS (Newark)
SUNY Downstate
Winthrop
Any input greatly appreciated. Right now the plan is to take the top half of that list. Long term plans are for heme/onc or pulm/cc fellowship.
Rochester Research Pathway
Case UH Research
Tufts
UMass
NSLIJ
Temple
Stony Brook
Rutgers NJMS (Newark)
SUNY Downstate
Winthrop
Any input greatly appreciated. Right now the plan is to take the top half of that list. Long term plans are for heme/onc or pulm/cc fellowship.
Why would you be "humbled" by this list?? Plus most of your fellowships are at university programs . . .
I don't get the nature of the question I guess.
Humbled by that I got SO MANY REJECTIONS from some programs I thought I for sure would have gotten an interview from.
My question is, which programs would only an IDIOT/FOOL NOT go to?
What? humble brag? You seriously received great offers. Don't miss any of them.
I didn't mean to brag… i don't see it as bragging…now if on that list was like all those TOP TIER programs (i.e. MGH, BWH, JHU, Hopkins, Duke, etc) and I was asking "which of these should I drop?" THEN that is bragging…
my list is nothing to impress those on SDN...
Humbled by that I got SO MANY REJECTIONS from some programs I thought I for sure would have gotten an interview from.
My question is, which programs would only an IDIOT/FOOL NOT go to?
An idiot or fool would not go to ALL of them.
You're trolling the forum now.
An idiot or fool would not go to ALL of them.
You're trolling the forum now.
Hmmmm I C..…but to go on all of them is a serious amount of cash…talking if plane tickets are $400-500 a piece + 1-2 nights @ $100 for hotel…racks up to like $500-700 per place…and in the end will only end up at ONE place lol
can I rephrase the question? Given my goals of fellowship at the end…what TOP 2 would you guys recommend going on? Again I have local community programs as safeties (which I will be perfectly happy at)…
Thanks again!
Pittsburgh
Baylor
UChicago
UTSW
Yale
NYU
Mayo Clinic
Boston
All of these are very good programs. In speaking with multiple people about several of these schools, UTSW and Yale are probably the best.
Yup, I agree.
I appreciate everyone's advice so far. It's sort of hard to understand where the CA programs fall after the tier 1 programs.
Does anyone know where Cedars-Sinai and UC Irvine would fit on that list?
Last edited:
That's a reasonable plan. Your bottom 3 are definite "no". The top 4 are definite "yes". The other 3 are "take it or leave it, suburban hell or Killadelphia, Pistolvania".Since it's been almost a week since my last invite, I guess it's safe to start making final travel plans. Looking to have ~16 scheduled over three months, with 10 I know I will go on. Need to pick 6 from the others:
Rochester Research Pathway
Case UH Research
Tufts
UMass
NSLIJ
Temple
Stony Brook
Rutgers NJMS (Newark)
SUNY Downstate
Winthrop
Any input greatly appreciated. Right now the plan is to take the top half of that list. Long term plans are for heme/onc or pulm/cc fellowship.
Hmmmm I C..…but to go on all of them is a serious amount of cash…talking if plane tickets are $400-500 a piece + 1-2 nights @ $100 for hotel…racks up to like $500-700 per place…and in the end will only end up at ONE place lol
can I rephrase the question? Given my goals of fellowship at the end…what TOP 2 would you guys recommend going on? Again I have local community programs as safeties (which I will be perfectly happy at)…
Thanks again!
I can't
I can't
This meaning all the programs are fairly EQUAL in terms of fellowship opportunities, strength of clinical training, research opportunities, etc? And thus, any 2 programs I choose would be just fine?
This meaning all the programs are fairly EQUAL in terms of fellowship opportunities, strength of clinical training, research opportunities, etc? And thus, any 2 programs I choose would be just fine?
more like:
Hello, I was looking to drop some of these programs and was hoping someone could rank them by overall strength of the program. Thank you!
Georgetown
GWU
Temple
MUSC
Wake
Tulane
Hm. I suppose . . .
Wake
GT
MUSC
Temple = Tulane
But in reality, while I think Wake is the better spot on the list, the others are all really in same ballpark after that
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This meaning all the programs are fairly EQUAL in terms of fellowship opportunities, strength of clinical training, research opportunities, etc? And thus, any 2 programs I choose would be just fine?
An alternative piece of advice, if you aren't trolling and really can't make your mind up, maybe save the $$$ and stick with the local programs you know you'll be happy at. All the programs on that list are great with different strengths and weaknesses, but if $$$ is truly rate limiting go check out the two places where YOU think you are most likely to be happy. Who cares what people on the internets have to say, the answer to your question inherently very personal unless you're asking it for more nefarious reasons. Native Texans are more likely to select Baylor and UTSW. A married midwesterner Mayo. Single hipster BUMC and NYU. Person looking for the most "academic" program without regard for personal safety U of Chicago and Yale (assuming Hopkins isn't an option). Get the point?
An alternative piece of advice, if you aren't trolling and really can't make your mind up, maybe save the $$$ and stick with the local programs you know you'll be happy at. All the programs on that list are great with different strengths and weaknesses, but if $$$ is truly rate limiting go check out the two places where YOU think you are most likely to be happy. Who cares what people on the internets have to say, the answer to your question inherently very personal unless you're asking it for more nefarious reasons. Native Texans are more likely to select Baylor and UTSW. A married midwesterner Mayo. Single hipster BUMC and NYU. Person looking for the most "academic" program without regard for personal safety U of Chicago and Yale (assuming Hopkins isn't an option). Get the point?
Thanks for the response!!! I don't really understand why people thought I was trolling (I guess ppl on here have low threshold for trolling?)...yes money is an issue, as I can't personally justify going to interview at multiple places that are pretty much on the same tier and finally end up at ONE program on match day...anyways, that was very informative, unlike "I can't" because thought I was trolling...will probably stick with Chicago and Yale then.
.
Last edited:
Hey guys. I have 12 interviews at some really solid programs and am looking to go to about 2-3 more. Any opinions on which to attend from the following list? I want a strong program that matches well into PCCM and cards and would prefer to be in a medium to large city. Strong ties to Chicago and Philly to consider.
Tufts
BUMC
Georgetown
GW
U Maryland
Temple
Rush
U Chicago Northshore
Scripps
Utah
CWRU
I appreciate your ties, but I'd be loathe to miss Utah or Maryland. You should go to those two.
Help me out:
I have interviews at some middle tier academic programs and some community programs. Some of the community programs I've interviewed at have GREAT fellowship match rates, but they're not well known outside of their area and obviously have no academic affiliation. What matters more in my career: name or fellowship match rates (I want to do a fellowship) ?
AND is fellowship matching really dependent on the institution you attend for residency or just on how hard you work no matter where you go?
-a US IMG
I have interviews at some middle tier academic programs and some community programs. Some of the community programs I've interviewed at have GREAT fellowship match rates, but they're not well known outside of their area and obviously have no academic affiliation. What matters more in my career: name or fellowship match rates (I want to do a fellowship) ?
AND is fellowship matching really dependent on the institution you attend for residency or just on how hard you work no matter where you go?
-a US IMG
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 26
- Views
- 13K
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 3K