This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunsfan12

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have submitted my AMCAS application 2 hours after it opened and received verification for it a few days ago. I have been beginning to feel a little skeptical about my chances for an MD school because of the GPA they have calculated for me upon verification. BPCM 3.15, cGPA: 3.55, NonSciGpa: 4.0. My BPCM is that weak because I have received a C and a D in PreCalc and Calc respectively the summer before my freshman year at undergrad. I retook calc the next summer and did get an A. Being that these are the first few classes that I have taken, I am under the impression that ADCOMS will consider that when reviewing my application. All other grades I have ever gotten were A's and B's for science courses, and obviously A's for all other classes given my NonScience GPA is a 4.0. I do have an enormous upward trend the last 2 years of my undergrad especially.

I have been published 4 times, writing scientific reviews on omega 3 fatty acids and how they effect longevity, HIV/AIDS, and bone health and have even written a senior honors thesis on the cardiovascular system and how dehydration effects it (presented a poster on it as well). I also worked in an undergraduate heart research lab for 60 hours before leaving to finish up thesis work.

I have became the founding president of a pre-health club for the past 2 (Junior and Senior years of undergrad) years where we work with physicians, dentists, and veterinarians in Mexico and run clinics and community development projects (water filtration, garden projects for nutrition, etc.) and have dedicated 600 hours to running all administrative and logistical concerns from that end. I worked as an officer for Model United Nations at my school and spent 475 hours on that, and have even attended multiple conferences throughout the nation with it.

I have shadowed a cardiologist (60 hours) and a radiologist (120 hours) along with scribing for an internal medicine physician (100 hours).

I would just like to know if you guys can give me some advice for what to do next. I am applying to 20 MDs that fall around the area I have for my GPA and MCAT score (taking it end of july 2016). and 11 DOs. Once again, the major thing I feel skeptical about is my BPCM because of my Calc grade 4 years ago.

My MCAT will be on july 22nd but my AMCAS primary has been submitted and I am waiting a little while for my AACOMAS primary to be submitted. I believe my LORs will be strong and that the extracurriculars I have listed are good for ADCOMS to see. Let me know what you guys think and I am open to any advice! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.