Help with list of dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ll12147

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I will be applying to dental schools this upcoming cycle, and I need an advice on my list of schools. Any opinions and thoughts are much appreciated!

A little bit about myself:
- Graduated from an average UC school with a degree in English literature and a criminology minor in 2014
- Have been working as a dental assistant ever since, while taking science classes at a cc
- Some of my prerequisites have been completed at a community college (anatomy, physiology, microbiology, 2nd semester ochem, bio lab portions)
- Residency: CA

Stats:
- oGPA: 3.69
- sGPA: ?? (I'm guessing it's between 3.3-3.5... how do you calculate your sGPA?o_O)
- DAT: AA 21, PAT 22, TS 23 (Bio 23, GC 21, OC 25, QR 19, Reading 18 :confused: )
- community service: 275+ hours at a hospital
- shadowing: 200 hours
- dental assistant/front desk work for 1.5 years

List of Schools
Western
UCSF
USC
UOP
UCLA
LLU
Midwestern-Illinois
Roseman (USN)
Nova Southeastern University (NSU)
NYU
University of Michigan
Temple University
University of Pittsburg
Columbia
University of Louisville School of Dentistry
Touro College of Dental Medicine, Valhalla
UPenn

Are some of the schools too far fetched for me that it's not even worth applying? (*cough* UOP, UCLA, UCSF, UPenn, Columbia?) Any thoughts on schools to remove (or to add)? Thank you in advance for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think upitt has a limit on cc credits I believe up to 30

Members don't see this ad :)
I think upitt has a limit on cc credits I believe up to 30

The minimum number of credits needed in order to apply is 90, but only 1/3 can come from CC credits. So, if you have more than 90 credits (which a lot do), then you can have more than 30 CC credits.

I just spent all morning scrolling through all of the admissions requirements for the schools I am applying to, because now that my PS is done, I have nothing to keep me busy (and my mind off of the fact that AADSAS opens in a week).

The minimum number of credits needed in order to apply is 90, but only 1/3 can come from CC credits. So, if you have more than 90 credits (which a lot do), then you can have more than 30 CC credits.

I just spent all morning scrolling through all of the admissions requirements for the schools I am applying to, because now that my PS is done, I have nothing to keep me busy (and my mind off of the fact that AADSAS opens in a week).
Oh that's true I must've misread it on te website but either way just be conscious of those cc credit limitations. I know Boston U won't accept them towards science prereqs.

Oh that's true I must've misread it on te website but either way just be conscious of those cc credit limitations. I know Boston U won't accept them towards science prereqs.
Yes, from what I know, Boston U and Tufts won't accept any science prereqs taken at a CC.

Yes, from what I know, Boston U and Tufts won't accept any science prereqs taken at a CC.
Tufts actually DOES accept community college credits, pending that you have taken an equivalent amount of science credits at a senior college. "

Q. I have completed some of the Tufts pre-requisite courses at a Community College. Will these credits fulfill your requirements?

A. Unfortunately, all pre-requisite coursework must be completed at an accredited 4 year college or university. Applicants who have received community college credits must either retake those courses at a four year institution or take an equal number of credits in upper level coursework in the same discipline at a four year institution." (http://dental.tufts.edu/admissions/dmd-program/frequently-asked-questions)

Tufts actually DOES accept community college credits, pending that you have taken an equivalent amount of science credits at a senior college. "

Q. I have completed some of the Tufts pre-requisite courses at a Community College. Will these credits fulfill your requirements?

A. Unfortunately, all pre-requisite coursework must be completed at an accredited 4 year college or university. Applicants who have received community college credits must either retake those courses at a four year institution or take an equal number of credits in upper level coursework in the same discipline at a four year institution." (http://dental.tufts.edu/admissions/dmd-program/frequently-asked-questions)

Thank you for that information! I'll look more into it and see if I qualify.

Solid. Don't drop any of the CA schools.
If you want to cut schools, I'd suggest Michigan (competitive OOS) and Columbia/UPenn (expensive and competitive, and you're below their DAT average)

Solid. Don't drop any of the CA schools.
If you want to cut schools, I'd suggest Michigan (competitive OOS) and Columbia/UPenn (expensive and competitive, and you're below their DAT average)
Thank you for your reply! I'll take your advice into consideration.