Help with MD school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChexOut

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently a Junior at Arizona State University, pursuing a degree in Biological Sciences (Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior). I need some help putting together a *realistic* list of MD schools to apply to. No limit on the number of schools, I just don't know where I stack up. I'll list all relevant info below, but feel free to ask for more if needed. The GPA's are estimated based on what I think I will be getting over the summer, and the MCAT score is estimated on my lowest reasonable score (I felt I did pretty well on it, took it in April). I am a white male with severe financial need (divorced parents, both with no income).

cGPA: 3.82
sGPA: 3.70
(Got a C in O Chem II, if this affects anything)
MCAT: 515-520

EC's:
- 3+ years of research at Barrow Neurological Institute. (2 posters, 1 top-class 3rd author paper, 1 decent 1st author paper)
- 2+ years of teaching chemistry labs/recitations at ASU (Instructional Aide)
- 1 year as Senator of my college in Student Government (freshman year)
- 2 years as a member of the Student Health Advisory Board
- 1 year as the Secretary of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology ASU chapter
- 3 years in a selective research program at ASU, granted funds for research
- 150+ hours volunteer in Emergency Room at local hospital
- 200+ hours as a scribe for a physician at a hospital in downtown Phoenix
- Member of ASU's Honors College (Barrett)
- Represented the College of Health Solutions in the ASU Academic Bowl

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are applying this summer you should apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. Do not wait for your summer grades as an early application is important. Schools where you could receive an interview with your stats include:
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Tulane
Creighton
any new private schools that open for 2018 (Seton Hall, Roseman)

If you are applying this summer you should apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. Do not wait for your summer grades as an early application is important. Schools where you could receive an interview with your stats include:
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Tulane
Creighton
any new private schools that open for 2018 (Seton Hall, Roseman)

Thanks for the lengthy list. I see most of these schools are ranked 70+. How would this list change if my MCAT were higher? I sort of forgot to mention that my MCAT score was estimated too (I'll fix this in the post now); I felt great about the test but wanted to low-ball my lowest *reasonable* score so as to not disappoint myself. Say my score was in the range of 518-520, would this change anything? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Post your actual MCAT score when available and I can adjust my recommendations. When are you taking the MCAT?
I took it April 22nd, so last weekish. I'll find out on the 23rd of May or so. I'll be sure to post the actual score. Thanks!

518=97%ile
519=98%ile
520=98%ile
Thanks, but how does this affect my school list? Would it put some top schools in the picture (UW-Seattle, etc) or is my GPA too low? Thanks for any help! :)

Consider some schools in the rank #10-40 range if you do get a good MCAT

Thanks, but how does this affect my school list? Would it put some top schools in the picture (UW-Seattle, etc) or is my GPA too low? Thanks for any help! :)
UW Seattle has a median MCAT of 507.
However, If you aren't a resident of washington, wyoming, alaska, montana, or idaho, you have a 0.26% chance of admission. And I assume that is if you are a desirable diversity student, or MD/PHD applicant.