MD Help with Med School List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

existingsteak

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm hoping that y'all could offer some edits/comments to my med school list given my stats. I hope to apply for MSTP programs throughout the US:

State Residency: CA

GPA: 3.84

MCAT: 522

Major: Biochemistry

University Prestige: Ranked Top 75 in USNWR

SEC Factors: Low-income mixed-race

Volunteering: President of science education organization. Devoted over 500 hrs

Clinical Volunteering: over 500 hrs as well.

Shadowing: ~50 hrs in ICU. ~5 hrs in general surgery. ~2hrs in radiology. <-- will work on this during Fulbright year.

Pubs: 1 first-author in Science Advances and several conference presentations (in both undergraduate and professional societies). Worked in lab at my college all 4 years, and spent 3 summers research w faculty at Johns Hopkins Med School.

Major Awards: Goldwater, Fulbright (will study for the 2020-2021 year), Thermo Fisher Scholarship

School List is listed below:

Harvard, Stanford, UPenn, Johns Hopkins, NYU, Columbia, UCSF, UCLA, Weill Cornell, Mayo, UMich, Duke, Yale, Emory, Baylor, UCI, USC, Icahn, UCSD, UChicago, Case Western, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, WashU, Kaiser

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd suggest also posting this in the Medical Scientists forum asking for advice since I know there's a PD there that may be able to give an assessment!

Reactions: 1 user
I'd suggest also posting this in the Medical Scientists forum asking for advice since I know there's a PD there that may be able to give an assessment!
Thank you! You mean the "physician scientists" forum? If so, just did!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'm hoping that y'all could offer some edits/comments to my med school list given my stats. I hope to apply for MSTP programs throughout the US:

State Residency: CA

GPA: 3.84

MCAT: 522

Major: Biochemistry

University Prestige: Ranked Top 75 in USNWR

SEC Factors: Low-income mixed-race

Volunteering: President of science education organization. Devoted over 500 hrs

Shadowing: ~50 hrs in ICU. ~5 hrs in general surgery. ~2hrs in radiology. <-- will work on this during gap year.

Pubs: 1 first-author in Science Advances and several conference presentations (in both undergraduate and professional societies)

Major Awards: Goldwater, Fulbright, Thermo Fisher Scholarship

School List is listed below:

Harvard, Stanford, UPenn, Johns Hopkins, NYU, Columbia, UCSF, UCLA, Weill Cornell, Mayo, UMich, Duke, Yale, Emory, Baylor, UCI, USC, Icahn, UCSD, UChicago, Case Western, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, WashU, Kaiser
So when do you start your Goldwater or your Fulbright? Maybe related question: where's your community service that is centered on vulnerable populations? Clinical experience outside of shadowing? On MSTP: you have pubs but how long have you worked in research labs? Why MD/PhD instead of just MD or just PhD?

So when do you start your Goldwater or your Fulbright? Maybe related question: where's your community service that is centered on vulnerable populations? Clinical experience outside of shadowing? On MSTP: you have pubs but how long have you worked in research labs? Why MD/PhD instead of just MD or just PhD?
Hi Mr.Smile12, I went ahead and updated that above! I've spent substantial time in lab. over 1000 hrs in my lab at my college, and in a lab at Johns Hopkins Med School Summer Internship for 3 summers. One work resulted in a pub at Science Advances which I led, the other is still tentative and I'm 3rd author. And, I believe I have strong reasons for pursuing an MD/PhD as opposed to just MD or just PhD--at least as was told by faculty posing as MSTP committee members at hopkins.