This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaCl2000

Reaction score
  1. cGPA = 3.88 sGPA = 3.91
  2. MCAT 509 CHEM: 127 CARS: 125 BIO: 129 Psych: 128
  3. California
  4. White male
  5. University of California Irvine (nontraditional in that I did all my med school pre reqs after graduation)
  6. 1500 hours scribe/MA
  7. 580 hours research
  8. 8 hours anesthesiology / 8 hours plastic surgery / (Alot more to come ex: derm/pulm/primarycare)
  9. 125 hours suicide hotline / 450 hours homeless shelter / (starting new mental health hotline as last hotline lost funding)
  10. Division 1 athlete / Nontraditional majored in public health policy, took prereqs for med after graduating.
  11. Multiple Deans Honor/Scholar-Athlete Honors
I understand that a majority of my CA schools are very unlikely reaches but I make the 10th percentile MCAT cutoff for all. Hoping that if I am able to receive an interview for at least one I would be able to tell my story/background which could be a deciding factor (or not?). Many medically related stories for my pursuit of medicine including Cleft lip/palate (over 15 surgeries to date) / loss of my brother to an autoimmune disease / etc.

Looking to see what schools outside of the CA schools I should keep/get rid of and if there are other private MD's that I am missing that I should add. Also truly interested in both MD and DO.

Open to any and all criticism, the more blunt and harsh the better <3.

School List MD :

California Northstate University College of Medicine
California University of Science and Medicine-School of Medicine
Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
University of California, Davis, School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
University of California, Riverside School of Medicine
University of California, San Diego School of Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
Creighton University School of Medicine
Meharry Medical College
Morehouse School of Medicine
Howard University College of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
Anne Burnett Marion School of Medicine at TCU
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
Kirk Kerkorian School of Medicine at UNLV
University of Arizona College of Medicine Phoenix
University of Arizona College of Medicine Tuscon
University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine
University of South Dakota, Sanford School of Medicine
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences

School List DO:

Western University of HS COM of the Pacific - California
California University of HS COM
Touro University COM - California
A.T. Still University SOM - Arizona
Midwestern University - Arizona COM
Western University of HS COM of the Pacific - Oregon
Pacific Northwestern University of HS COM
Touro University Nevada COM
Rocky Vista University COM
Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C Patel COM
Lake Erie COM - Bradenton
Philadelphia COM
Midwestern University - Chicago COM
Idaho COM
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine-Southern Utah

Members don't see this ad.

First, let's talk about school list, but it's my own opinion: California Northstate University College of Medicine is a huge red flag currently due to its probation status, but just in case, I would still apply there because it is an MD school in CA. I would also add VCOM (all campuses except Monroe) and NYITCOM (both campuses) to your DO school list.

You're applying to a lot of HBCU medical schools (Meharry Medical College, Morehouse School of Medicine, and Howard University College of Medicine), but you identified as a white male so I don't think applying there would be recommended since you won't fit their mission at all. I would instead add NYMC to your list and potentially Loyola if you're mission-fit.

Your shadowing is very lacking, at least in terms of primary care. If you could get up to at least 50 hours in primary care shadowing, or even a 100, no specialties needed, that would be fantastic for MD/DO schools as a whole. Have you looked into what population you want to serve in the future and does that tie in with your homeless shelter volunteering experience as well as your suicide hotline experience? How did those experiences impact your perspective on the population you are going to serve, and how mission-fit were you based on these experiences for medical schools on your list?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
  1. cGPA = 3.88 sGPA = 3.91
  2. MCAT 509 CHEM: 127 CARS: 125 BIO: 129 Psych: 128
  3. California
  4. White male
  5. University of California Irvine (nontraditional in that I did all my med school pre reqs after graduation)
  6. 1500 hours scribe/MA
  7. 580 hours research
  8. 8 hours anesthesiology / 8 hours plastic surgery / (Alot more to come ex: derm/pulm/primarycare)
  9. 125 hours suicide hotline / 450 hours homeless shelter / (starting new mental health hotline as last hotline lost funding)
  10. Division 1 athlete / Nontraditional majored in public health policy, took prereqs for med after graduating.
  11. Multiple Deans Honor/Scholar-Athlete Honors
I understand that a majority of my CA schools are very unlikely reaches but I make the 10th percentile MCAT cutoff for all. Hoping that if I am able to receive an interview for at least one I would be able to tell my story/background which could be a deciding factor (or not?). Many medically related stories for my pursuit of medicine including Cleft lip/palate (over 15 surgeries to date) / loss of my brother to an autoimmune disease / etc.

Looking to see what schools outside of the CA schools I should keep/get rid of and if there are other private MD's that I am missing that I should add. Also truly interested in both MD and DO.

Open to any and all criticism, the more blunt and harsh the better <3.

School List MD :

California Northstate University College of Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
University of California, San Diego School of Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
Meharry Medical College
Morehouse School of Medicine
Howard University College of Medicine
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
Kirk Kerkorian School of Medicine at UNLV
University of Arizona College of Medicine Phoenix
University of Arizona College of Medicine Tuscon
University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine
University of South Dakota, Sanford School of Medicine
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences

School List DO:

Western University of HS COM of the Pacific - California
California University of HS COM
Touro University COM - California
A.T. Still University SOM - Arizona
Midwestern University - Arizona COM
Western University of HS COM of the Pacific - Oregon
Pacific Northwestern University of HS COM
Touro University Nevada COM
Rocky Vista University COM
Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C Patel COM
Lake Erie COM - Bradenton
Philadelphia COM
Midwestern University - Chicago COM
Idaho COM
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine-Southern Utah
FYI for South Dakota you have to be a South Dakota resident to apply and get a secondary from the medical school. Same with North Dakota as well. You have to be a resident or have significant ties to those states (i.e. have a parent living there, born there, etc.) to qualify to even receive a secondary. You can't just go on MSAR and look up which schools match your stats, because many of them are state schools that only accept in-state students. Best of luck. I don't mean to sound harsh at all, I'm just giving you advice about the Dakota schools.

Reactions: 1 users
You have a good DO list but remove Idaho. Several of the schools on your MD list are unrealistic with your MCAT of 509 and you do not fit the mission for the HBCU schools. You also have several state public schools on your list that admit very few non residents with a MCAT of 509 and no connection to the state. I suggest these schools from your MD list:
You could add these schools
St. Louis
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Temple
Hackensack
Albany
New York Medical College
Belmont (when it opens)

Reactions: 1 user
What does preview look like for you? Any specific mission fit with California schools?
Currently, I have not yet taken AAMC's preview exam, I am scheduled to do so during the upcoming May test dates. As a California resident, I am particularly interested in applying to all of the CA schools regardless of a perfect mission fit with schools in the state (but maybe this is a waste of time and money?). While I have briefly reviewed the mission statements of some schools to determine their research focus, I have not yet conducted a thorough analysis to determine whether my interests align with their specific goals and values. My research experience focuses on patient data in the context of telehealth and healthcare access, particularly for high-risk and underserved populations. While my work is not based in a lab, I believe it has significant potential to contribute to the field. Although I understand that some schools may be less likely to consider my application due to the non-traditional nature of my research. I realize now that it would be beneficial for me to further explore each school's mission statement in more detail to ensure that my personal story aligns with their specific goals and values.

Currently, I have not yet taken AAMC's preview exam, I am scheduled to do so during the upcoming May test dates. As a California resident, I am particularly interested in applying to all of the CA schools regardless of a perfect mission fit with schools in the state (but maybe this is a waste of time and money?). While I have briefly reviewed the mission statements of some schools to determine their research focus, I have not yet conducted a thorough analysis to determine whether my interests align with their specific goals and values. My research experience focuses on patient data in the context of telehealth and healthcare access, particularly for high-risk and underserved populations. While my work is not based in a lab, I believe it has significant potential to contribute to the field. Although I understand that some schools may be less likely to consider my application due to the non-traditional nature of my research. I realize now that it would be beneficial for me to further explore each school's mission statement in more detail to ensure that my personal story aligns with their specific goals and values.
Do you have ties to Riverside at all? They're focused on people becoming physicians in the "inland empire" region so you probably will get screened out by them unless you're from that region in CA.

First, let's talk about school list, but it's my own opinion: California Northstate University College of Medicine is a huge red flag currently due to its probation status, but just in case, I would still apply there because it is an MD school in CA. I would also add VCOM (all campuses except Monroe) and NYITCOM (both campuses) to your DO school list.

You're applying to a lot of HBCU medical schools (Meharry Medical College, Morehouse School of Medicine, and Howard University College of Medicine), but you identified as a white male so I don't think applying there would be recommended since you won't fit their mission at all. I would instead add NYMC to your list and potentially Loyola if you're mission-fit.

Your shadowing is very lacking, at least in terms of primary care. If you could get up to at least 50 hours in primary care shadowing, or even a 100, no specialties needed, that would be fantastic for MD/DO schools as a whole. Have you looked into what population you want to serve in the future and does that tie in with your homeless shelter volunteering experience as well as your suicide hotline experience? How did those experiences impact your perspective on the population you are going to serve, and how mission-fit were you based on these experiences for medical schools on your list?
Thank you for informing me about California Northstate University's probation. As a newcomer to SDN, I realize that I may not have done enough research on all the schools I've considered. I also appreciate the advice you provided on HBCU medical schools. I had a close friend help me find a couple of schools to add to my list including the HBCU schools you listed but it seems that my friend's recommendation to apply to schools that may not fit my profile may not have been the best idea.

I will take a closer look at NYMC and Loyola to determine whether they align with my goals and values. It appears that I may have overlooked the importance of each school's mission statement, as Mr. Smile pointed out in his comment.

I have scheduled to shadow a few DO's and MD's for an additional 75 hours in the next couple of weeks.

Do you have ties to Riverside at all? They're focused on people becoming physicians in the "inland empire" region so you probably will get screened out by them unless you're from that region in CA.
I have no particular connection to Riverside, other than living kinda close (in between Orange and Irvine), and conducting some of my research with patients from cities in Riverside County.

FYI for South Dakota you have to be a South Dakota resident to apply and get a secondary from the medical school. Same with North Dakota as well. You have to be a resident or have significant ties to those states (i.e. have a parent living there, born there, etc.) to qualify to even receive a secondary. You can't just go on MSAR and look up which schools match your stats, because many of them are state schools that only accept in-state students. Best of luck. I don't mean to sound harsh at all, I'm just giving you advice about the Dakota schools.
Your feedback is not harsh at all, I will remove those schools as I do not have any significant ties to those states either, other than one of my siblings living there part-time. I appreciate the blunt and honest critique. It's clear that I've made some significant errors in creating my list of schools. I am incredibly grateful to everyone who has already provided their advice and helped steer me in the right direction!

As your homework, have you been Pre-writing Secondary Essays? Mistakes are important for learning but we are here to make sure you can optimize your energy.
Thanks Mr.Smile. To be honest, I have not started Pre-writing secondary essays as I am still touching up my PS and activities sections. I will add Pre-writing the secondary essays to the list!

Thank you for informing me about California Northstate University's probation. As a newcomer to SDN, I realize that I may not have done enough research on all the schools I've considered. I also appreciate the advice you provided on HBCU medical schools. I had a close friend help me find a couple of schools to add to my list including the HBCU schools you listed but it seems that my friend's recommendation to apply to schools that may not fit my profile may not have been the best idea.

I will take a closer look at NYMC and Loyola to determine whether they align with my goals and values. It appears that I may have overlooked the importance of each school's mission statement, as Mr. Smile pointed out in his comment.

I have scheduled to shadow a few DO's and MD's for an additional 75 hours in the next couple of weeks.

I have no particular connection to Riverside, other than living kinda close (in between Orange and Irvine), and conducting some of my research with patients from cities in Riverside County.
That sounds great, you're on the right track for sure!

What kind of research was it and how much research did you do? Was it a year or two and was it meaningful to the extent that you could see yourself working in the inland empire region in the future as a physician? If you answer yes, then it wouldn't hurt to apply there, but it wouldn't necessarily make you the most desired applicant, regardless, still worth a shot in my opinion.